Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Catch/Latch Operation

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When closing the fridge lid, a second bit of pressure seemingly closes it tight shut.

However, you can then lift the lid by pushing up with the finger tips, whereas the stove lid requires you to actually push in the catch to open it.

Only just noticed this - is it how it is supposed to work, or is it faulty? Any advice welcome.

We do have to slam our fridge door quite hard to make it fully latch. Just closing it gently, even with pressure as you describe, leaves it so you can open it without pressing the latch.

It is not something we have worried about.

T

Spotted this. Last weekend on ours. Wasnt sure if it was a fault or not. It does impact the performance of the fridge. Would appreciate any guidance from others more experienced. Thanks.

we have to slam our also to get it to close, sureley not another design fault :x

We have to press down hard & watch that the catch slides out a bit, otherwise it is not locked down.

Must admit I hadn't realised about pushing down until it clicks, so we've been using ours not tight shut until now. Our sink doesn't seem to click shut- should it?

Should have said more clearly- our sink/cooker work top cover does not click shut!

I have the same issue. It's just another example of bad quality control.

I would imagine that vw quality control has better things to do than control quality. Given the time on their hands they will be staggeringly good at something else though, perhaps table football, or pool, or surfing the internet.

gatvol said:

I would imagine that vw quality control has better things to do than control quality. Given the time on their hands they will be staggeringly good at something else though, perhaps table football, or pool, or surfing the internet.

Mine works fine and I am more than happy with the quality of my Cali :cool:

blacks954 said:
gatvol said:

Ditto :clap

teeboy said:
We do have to slam our fridge door quite hard to make it fully latch. Just closing it gently, even with pressure as you describe, leaves it so you can open it without pressing the latch.

It is not something we have worried about.

T

I shudder at the thought of "slamming" anything in a California !! That's how things get broken & end in large repair bills.

Just close lid & give it a gentle push down to latch it. This applies to the cooker / sink lid as well.

Pollychops said:
blacks954 said:
gatvol said:

Ditto :clap

You obviously both have yet to experience any of the California frustration with things failing or not working properly.
Give it a year or so longer & you may well change your minds about build quality !!

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm just really looking for confirmation from anyone on the forum that when the fridge lid is closed properly, it is not possible to lift the lid up with finger tips.

If it is possible then I suppose it's how it has been designed. If it is not possible (on a properly closed lid) then I'll raise it with VW as a warranty issue.

Thanks.

To close the fridge properly I lower the lid gently then just give a firm tap with the side of my clenched fist at the edge over, but not on, the plastic catch. A pleasing click indicates it's closed and no, you can't open it with your fingers without pushing the catch.

Cheers,

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the confirmation Andy.

I'll take it up with VW dealer as a warranty issue.

Be careful :!: :!: Our fridge lid exploded for no apparent reason sending glass shrapnel everywhere, :eek: (although the post event diagnosis was that the fixing of the gas strut to the wardrobe was at a funny angle which caused the strut to put the glass lid under tension). The replacement cost was quoted as being ÂŁ509 - luckily we are still under warranty, and although glass is not covered under warranty because the cause was the gas strut fixing, we were covered.

It seems to me that the slamming technique of closing could end up with a very expensive repair!

I'd be careful, very careful. It took us over two hours to clear the battlefield. It was everywhere!!

Surely it should be possible to close the lid securely without having to force or use any unreasonable pressure.

After many months of hassle free Cali use I now have:

1. the fridge closing issue
2. the water pump has stopped working
3. The paint has now started to bubble up
4. the door does not latch in open position without heavy force

I'm still in love with it, but I'm very pleased that I'm only half way through the warranty period.

Welcome to the party pal.

Warranties are only a short term comfort though. The vw folk try to make you feel good by telling you how much all the repairs would have cost out of warranty.

But when the warranty expires, these are the sums we will be paying. Again and again and again and again.

Based on my experience with a 57 plate Audi s5, faults under warranty were just the appetiser. The real pain came after the warranty expired. If a car fails in years 0-3, you should fear the subsequent years.

Being so cheerful keeps me going :bananadance :bananadance :bananadance
I still love my Cali.and it is my second one,
If one expects perfection one is bound to be dissapointed :cry: :cry:
Timber

timber said:
Being so cheerful keeps me going :bananadance :bananadance :bananadance
I still love my Cali.and it is my second one,
If one expects perfection one is bound to be dissapointed :cry: :cry:
Timber

Ditto, unfortunately some people thrive on negativity. Nothing is perfect, things go wrong and at the end of the day if your not happy with what you have there is the option to get rid. But then would that stop it?

Sorry,but really ,is it such a big deal ,we have had our Cali for 4 and a half years and 25000 miles and until I saw this post I hadn't even thought about it so I went out and checked and it doesn't click shut ,and you know I don't really give a stuff,in all that time everything has worked as expected and if the latches don't click shut all of the time , I guess I won't loose sleep.
Maybe I am just less particular,but it really doesn't seem to matter,.......thick skin installed over to you !

Had the same problem with my fridge lid (which caused it to rattle) I had it fixed under warranty& since haven't had a problem-8months but you do have to apply pressure untill the button pops out,
I also had an annoying vibration on the stove cover but fixed it with an extra silicone pad bought from the forum,hope this helps, :cool:

Yep we have the same problem with our fridge. To confirm I DONT think that you should be able to lift the fridge lid up with just your finger-tips, when its closed properly it needs to be opened using the catch.

Slamming it shut does work but I prefer to just apply a bit more pressure when closing it - if you do this you'll see the catch slide out a bit more. Then just a quick check with the finger tips that you can't open it.

I think the problem is the catch is a bit 'sticky' and when its really really cold in the van it gets a bit more stuck. Also I DO think the performance of the fridge is affected if its not closed properly. We were camping this weekend and our friend went into the fridge to get some more wine ;-) and didn't shut it properly - in the morning, even though it was a chilli night and we weren't sleeping in the van the fridge was barley cold and we had it on level 4.

I find its more of a problem when the children are going in and out of the fridge which they are now not allowed to do!

Hope this helps,

Andie x

I think any fridge left with the door/lid not closed tightly will not operate properly.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond.

The van is going in to get the Thunder's swapped back next week after winter, and they're going to check this along with a few other things re. warranty.

The fridge problem may sound petty on the surface, BUT we, like many others hit the hot climates of the Continent each summer for 3 weeks, and I want a fridge that is working optimally and keeping things chilled - not unreasonable really ;) .

Back