Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Catch/Latch Operation

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
Same here with ours, so after reading what people do i tried pushing and no luck still would open without using catch, so tried slight dropping to make it shut and works now !
Checked out a brand new one in showroom last mnth as I found ours came up lifting without catch and wondered if all the same,so there you are common fault design and there is a slight gap in seal too ! :x

we dont have any problems with ours, maybe its a random thing.

I took the van into the VW dealer (JCT600 in Sheffield), and received first class service.

The fridge lid was replaced (involved some local bonding of the pieces I think as part of the process), and although it is not a simple click shut - a little downward pressure needs exerting - at least it does shut properly now and the latch catches.

The water pump was also replaced under warranty and now works as it should.

The van door latch was oiled and clicks into open latched position with no effort now.

They also carried out a free check, and advised 0.5l of oil to be added, and did dome kind of FOC calibration to the climate control to fix some issue they found.

VW also approved the fix for the bubbling paint and I'm now on the waiting list to get it sorted out.

All in all a very satisfactory trip to the dealer. Also they lent me a 63 plate combo van for the 2 days my van was in for the work.

We are such fools. We have had our Cali since 2006 and have never been closing the fridge properly. It always bounced back slightly when we closed it and had assumed it was closed. Decided to investigate and gave it a short sharp shove down and it closed properly for the first time ever. It now closed properly every time. We were always slightly underwhelmed by the fridge, now very pleased with it!! Haha.

The seal around the lid It is not a magnetic door seal as, fitted to a domestic fridge. It needs to be squeezed to seal properly against the top of the fridge wall, hence the need to push the lid down until the latch pops out.

Alan

Back