Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge keeps turning off - no answers in previous threads

S

Sleepytortoise

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Our fridge keeps turning off! I've searched previous threads which recommend going into diagnostic menu and clearing errors but ours shows as no errors. So there's nothing to clear.

We're on leisure battery which states we have 80% left and 11.4v (don't know how we change voltage if that's an issue?).

Help - fridge is full of food and 3 more days camping to go!!!

The battery is flat. Ignore the 80% and focus on the volts. I believe the fridge turns off at 11.5

SoC-AGM.jpg

Oh. That's an arse. Only been camping a day so I guess that means we need a new leisure battery as it's not keeping its charge.

Oh. That's an arse. Only been camping a day so I guess that means we need a new leisure battery as it's not keeping its charge.
I was in that same position 3 weeks ago which is why I knew the answer.

Yes, above answers are in line with what I was once told. At 11.5v the fridge and the auxillary heater are turned off automatically. If you try and start them at 12v you might already run into problems as they have a peak usage when starting up.

I try to keep 12v in my mind as the lowest I let my batteries get to.

Which vehicle do you have and what year? Your Avatar information still says you are looking.

Which vehicle do you have and what year? Your Avatar information still says you are looking.
2016 ocean.

Don't know why or how my avatar says I'm looking as didn't join the forum until after I'd bought one I don't think and don't think I ever set it as anything and no idea how to change it! I can't see anything that says still looking when I click on the avatar...

2016 ocean.

Don't know why or how my avatar says I'm looking as didn't join the forum until after I'd bought one I don't think and don't think I ever set it as anything and no idea how to change it! I can't see anything that says still looking when I click on the avatar...
Profile top right, account details, scroll down to vehicle.

2016 ocean.

OK, now we know you have an Ocean that has 2 Leisure Batteries, you should check the voltage of both batteries, after disconnecting the black -tve lead on the rear battery. You should also check that the Cube fuse on the red +tve pole of the rear battery is intact.
You may be running on just 1 leisure battery.

OK, now we know you have an Ocean that has 2 Leisure Batteries, you should check the voltage of both batteries, after disconnecting the black -tve lead on the rear battery. You should also check that the Cube fuse on the red +tve pole of the rear battery is intact.
You may be running on just 1 leisure battery.
Thank you. Will get the manual out and investigate.

For completeness. Your fridge has a voltage monitor that turns it off when the supply from your leisure battery drops below a certain level (it varies but around 11.5v).
This is to protect the battery. If the battery is over discharged then it will be damaged.
Depending on your current set up, it migh be worth considering buying lithium batteries (or even just 1) but that might incur significant cost in replacing components (hence “depending on your set up). Lithium allows you to use almost all the energy in it (lead acid only 50%), have a longer life, charge faster and are lighter. An AGM might be a reasonable compromise .

For completeness. Your fridge has a voltage monitor that turns it off when the supply from your leisure battery drops below a certain level (it varies but around 11.5v).
This is to protect the battery. If the battery is over discharged then it will be damaged.
Depending on your current set up, it migh be worth considering buying lithium batteries (or even just 1) but that might incur significant cost in replacing components (hence “depending on your set up). Lithium allows you to use almost all the energy in it (lead acid only 50%), have a longer life, charge faster and are lighter. An AGM might be a reasonable compromise .
Meant to say. The fridge volt monitor, like your battery monitor, uses bolts as a proxy for the amount of energy in the battery. Because volts don’t drop in the same way on a lithium battery as they discharge, a lithium battery would need a new shunt and monitor .

The fridge also turns off intermittently even when batteries are well above 11.5V. It happened to me the first time I was on EHU hookup.

The fridge also turns off intermittently even when batteries are well above 11.5V. It happened to me the first time I was on EHU hookup.

I don’t have hook up. But, when you say “turn off” do you mean completely, or is it just the fridge maintaining temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk