Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fridge lid isolation loose from glass lid

Klakski

Klakski

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Today I openend the fridge and the top of the fridge stayed in its place. It seems that the top has come loose from the glass lid. Has anyome had the same problem and how have you solved it.
I saw that the black kit/glue only had contact in a few places, though it was quite a blob, with the lid and maybe that’s why.

Sofar I removed the kit but I’m unsure on what to use to stick it back together.

I have tried the search function but couldn’t find anything

Ronald

Today I openend the fridge and the top of the fridge stayed in its place. It seems that the top has come loose from the glass lid. Has anyome had the same problem and how have you solved it.
I saw that the black kit/glue only had contact in a few places, though it was quite a blob, with the lid and maybe that’s why.

Sofar I removed the kit but I’m unsure on what to use to stick it back together.

I have tried the search function but couldn’t find anything

Ronald
I think you need to photograph the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Just made some pictures to show what the problem isDSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

sorry ‘bout the tripling of the forst picture. Can’t remove it though

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
As there is no need for a particularly strong bond I would try using a clear silicone sealant. I wouldn’t use too much though and would “zig zag“ narrow beads over the surface rather than a big blob. If it doesn’t work it’s easier to remove than a strong glue.

I've never seen this before. Looks like sloppy work in the factory on a Monday morning.
I think you should clean up the old glue remnants on both sides with some dissolver. Then use some (medium) strong bond, because you use the lid twenty times a day. Like ArunAlec suggests zig zag over the surface, and do some straight lines of glue along the four sides. Not too thick though, as you wouldn't have the glass surface to come up higher than the lid of the stove.

Also take a look at the plastic isolation "hose" under the lid, it can come loose too, as happened in my Cali. Test if the isolation is fully isolating, for instance by smearing peanut butter under the hose, close the lid (without pressing too much), open again and see if the peanut butter has made a nice closed "stamp" print on the plastic case of the cool box. If not fully closed, your cool box will leak cold (better: let's warm air inside) through the holes in the isolation hose.
If not closing good, you could fill up the isolation plastic to make it thicker.

see page 81 here:

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

you know what, I have a booking at CCN, for 2 factory call back actions, on the 4 December and let them deal with it.
If that doesn’t work I’ll glue it back together

you know what, I have a booking at CCN, for 2 factory call back actions, on the 4 December and let them deal with it.
If that doesn’t work I’ll glue it back together
That's probably the best thing, i mean, it can't be user error or abuse can it.
You only lift it up and push it down.

If would have to fix it myself, i would use the best adhesive that's known to
mankind.
The tricky part would be to glue it in exactly the right place.
If it was a warranty claim it would be a new lid.

Back