Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge size

• Thread starter thesquirrelpatrol
  • Start date
thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi

I was researching the new Dometic cfx3 fridges and am a bit torn as to what size to get.

the 35 is too small imo
45 is the equivalent of the cfx40 we had previously
55 would provide more space but is it too big for the beach to store in either the front behind passenger seat or under the 3 seat multiflex?

Any opinions would be welcomed

I feel your pain.
I have a CFX-40 on a pull out tray under the (3 seater) flex board... "And They Said It Couldn't Be Done"

Hi

I was researching the new Dometic cfx3 fridges and am a bit torn as to what size to get.

the 35 is too small imo
45 is the equivalent of the cfx40 we had previously
55 would provide more space but is it too big for the beach to store in either the front behind passenger seat or under the 3 seat multiflex?

Any opinions would be welcomed

Four years on and we are very content with our CFX 28, and so long as we don’t put soft drinks or water in there, and wine and beer for one day, find it big enough for four people for four nights. There is much that we keep in our fridge at home, such as ketchup and pickles, that we don’t refrigerate when away. Cooked and uncooked meats, milk, cheeses, yoghurt, butter, a couple of beers and/or white wine, and that’s about it for the fridge.

We have what we thought was a 40 litre Indel TB 41...but we recently discovered it is 50 litre, it turns out we were sent the wrong one. I don't think less that 40L would work for us on a long European trip tbh (family of four).

I feel your pain.
I have a CFX-40 on a pull out tray under the (3 seater) flex board... "And They Said It Couldn't Be Done"
Hey! That's awesome, how did you make it work? Did you buy a kit or a bunch of parts? I would love to do the same...

Can't comment on a Dometic, but you won't get a neater fit under the multiflex than this 50L Dellonda! View attachment 77933
Hello again Dripster! How do you find putting stuff in and out of the fridge, does it pull out easy on the wheel and then you hold it up or do you have to lower to the floor to access? Or have you got another cunning technique?

Hello again Dripster! How do you find putting stuff in and out of the fridge, does it pull out easy on the wheel and then you hold it up or do you have to lower to the floor to access? Or have you got another cunning technique?
Usually pop it in the awning, but you can slide it out and hold it with one hand to get stuff out if you’re just grabbing some milk or similar. Will be going on a short stay in a couple of weeks so may come up with a more cunning plan!

A lot of fiddling and measuring but eventually risked just buying the fridge and testing!
Slide the multiflex board (mfb) forward just a few cm so there is enough length for the fridge to fit between the (closed) tailgate the rod under the mfb... Remove pointless clip thing from under mfb... Bob’s your mother’s brother

2347EA02-3CC7-4887-8DB8-0DC8E5D09F8E.jpeg

4FF0873D-0637-4727-9817-0789F69662AA.jpeg

A lot of fiddling and measuring but eventually risked just buying the fridge and testing!
Slide the multiflex board (mfb) forward just a few cm so there is enough length for the fridge to fit between the (closed) tailgate the rod under the mfb... Remove pointless clip thing from under mfb... Bob’s your mother’s brother

View attachment 78134

View attachment 78135
Hi when the fridge is here what is it plugged into when driving and when on hook up??

Just looking at fridge options so was interested to know.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hi when the fridge is here what is it plugged into when driving and when on hook up??

Cheers

Into the 12v connector in the rear. When it's in the awning it's plugged into the mains hook up.

Into the 12v connector in the rear. When it's in the awning it's plugged into the mains hook up.
Thanks, can you manage to plug to mains while it is in position in the back of the van??

Thanks, can you manage to plug to mains while it is in position in the back of the van??

If you had a long enough extension! But I don't. It would be more efficient but as I said we put in the awning when we're parked up, put it in the back when travelling or just stopping temporarily, when we wouldn't be on hook up anyway.

It’s easy to get an additional 240v socket added in the boot area.

Cheers

I plug into the 12v near the sliding door since the sliding tray prevents the very long 12v plug from fitting. Currently thinking of alternatives - just bought right angle 12v socket converter.

I plug into the 12v near the sliding door since the sliding tray prevents the very long 12v plug from fitting. Currently thinking of alternatives - just bought right angle 12v socket converter.
Ours fits if you plug into the 12v and then slide the MFB afterwards (as it’s the black knob on the MFB that prevents ours from plugging in / unplugging once the MFB is in position…).

Ours fits if you plug into the 12v and then slide the MFB afterwards (as it’s the black knob on the MFB that prevents ours from plugging in / unplugging once the MFB is in position…).
Ta very much - my mfb is forward a few cm to accommodate the fridge although it's the tray that fouls the plug - do you have a tray?

We went for the Dometic DFX3 25 - it fits nicely behind the passenger seat. For those interested it doesn't fit under the multiflex board it's 420 high but I don't think we will use it there.PXL_20210520_194046436.jpg

We went for the Dometic DFX3 25 - it fits nicely behind the passenger seat. For those interested it doesn't fit under the multiflex board it's 420 high but I don't think we will use it there.View attachment 78783

Melanie, where did you get the small table from please? Looks ideal!

how do you pass the cable from internal 240 plug to awning - especially when locking the van? Only options I came up with are either closing the cable in the sliding door or making it pass thru front window (or else put the fridge back into the van each time. which is a bit annoying)

how do you pass the cable from internal 240 plug to awning - especially when locking the van? Only options I came up with are either closing the cable in the sliding door or making it pass thru front window (or else put the fridge back into the van each time. which is a bit annoying)
Get a splitter on the EHU then you can run a second cable into the awning. Advantage is that you can leave in place when you drive off.

Melanie, where did you get the small table from please? Looks ideal!
You have to make them… quite easy to do. Get a tabletop from someone like Clearcut Conversions, the Reimo folding table leg and the Beach table brackets from VW. The part number is on here somewhere.

Back