Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge recommendations for 2 seater 6.1 Beach?

B

Beachfamily22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Counting down the days until our first camper arrives and I've been investigating compressor fridges for longer camping trips. We will have a 6.1 Beach with two seater rear bench, so from what I've read we might struggle to fit one under the multiflex. I've seen lots of people anchor the fridge behind the passenger seat, but with the location of the gas cannister in the 6.1 not sure that would fit, or be safe? Would love to hear what solutions others have come up with please. Thanks!

we had a domestic fridge - but in our t6 beach we had to put it behind the front passenger seat as it was too tall to go under the rear shelf

You can secure the fridge in the required position, anywhere between the entry step and far side with two of these using the floor tie down mounting points.

3E7782A5-7140-46E7-AB2F-C911D6AF0FFF.jpeg

with the location of the gas cannister in the 6.1 not sure that would fit, or be safe?
Why would the location of the gas canister make it unsafe to have a fridge in the same proximity?

Why would the location of the gas canister make it unsafe to have a fridge in the same proximity?
I don't know if it would, that's my question really. I noticed Vanessa are not supplying their interior kitchen unit for the 6.1 Beach Camper as they say it would restrict access to the gas:

I don't know if it would, that's my question really. I noticed Vanessa are not supplying their interior kitchen unit for the 6.1 Beach Camper as they say it would restrict access to the gas:
Restricting access is not the same as a safety issue.

I can understand Vanessa not supplying the kitchen unit for a T6.1
A) the beach camper has a cooker
B) would the Vanessa unit prevent the use of the OEM fold out cooker.

I see no reason why you could not have the fridge behind the drivers seat or centrally located to the rear of the drivers / passenger seat?

what size fridge would you ideally do go for ?

Edit: remember, you only need the fridge secured whilst actually driving, when on site you can locate / relocate as required without the need for tie downs

Last edited:
With the T6.1 you have less space behind the passenger seat, with the gas bottle casing protruding further into the living area. The Dometic CFX3 25 may work behind the passenger seat, but I think you should consider how big the fridge really needs to be for your needs. The other option is between the front seats, which is what we chose. I can recommend the Indel B TB15 or TB18. Both fit snuggly between the front seats and do not require anything to keep them in place but the main compromise is space as you can’t fit a weeks worth of food inside. It only consumes about 30W though, so not a huge drain on the leisure battery. We have the TB15.

Counting down the days until our first camper arrives and I've been investigating compressor fridges for longer camping trips. We will have a 6.1 Beach with two seater rear bench, so from what I've read we might struggle to fit one under the multiflex. I've seen lots of people anchor the fridge behind the passenger seat, but with the location of the gas cannister in the 6.1 not sure that would fit, or be safe? Would love to hear what solutions others have come up with please. Thanks!
Ours is a 2 seater T6 Beach but don’t see why the gas bottle compartment would stop you putting the fridge behind the passenger seat although it will protrude a little further.
You need to consider how you want to use the fridge to determine the size you get. We have the Dometic 35, it’s big and expensive but brilliant for us. It swallows food, we travel away with it in freezer mode and just pull stuff out as we want it.

With the T6.1 you have less space behind the passenger seat, with the gas bottle casing protruding further into the living area. The Dometic CFX3 25 may work behind the passenger seat, but I think you should consider how big the fridge really needs to be for your needs. The other option is between the front seats, which is what we chose. I can recommend the Indel B TB15 or TB18. Both fit snuggly between the front seats and do not require anything to keep them in place but the main compromise is space as you can’t fit a weeks worth of food inside. It only consumes about 30W though, so not a huge drain on the leisure battery. We have the TB15.

Do you find the Indel B TB quite?

Can it be fixed in place eg strapped to a seat or the floor if required?

If you can get by with a smaller fridge there are models that fit between the front seats. Impedes hand brake operation slightly but its never bothered me.

Do you find the Indel B TB quite?

Can it be fixed in place eg strapped to a seat or the floor if required?
It’s pretty quiet and doesn’t disturb our sleep, but all fridges will make a little bit of noise. You don’t need to strap it to the seat or floor as it fits snuggly between the front seats. It’s very convenient for cold drinks when you are driving :)

If you can get by with a smaller fridge there are models that fit between the front seats. Impedes hand brake operation slightly but its never bothered me.
That is true regarding the handbrake, but not a problem for me either!

It’s pretty quiet and doesn’t disturb our sleep, but all fridges will make a little bit of noise. You don’t need to strap it to the seat or floor as it fits snuggly between the front seats. It’s very convenient for cold drinks when you are driving :)
Could you strap it down if you wanted to? I’d be worried about it becoming a projectile if in an accident otherwise

Could you strap it down if you wanted to? I’d be worried about it becoming a projectile if in an accident otherwise
I am not aware of a base plate to fit this fridge. I loop the carry strap around the handbrake. If you need the fridge to be fixed to the floor rails, this may not be the model for you. It’s advantage is that is can be located between the seats.

Most other larger fridges have some kind of base plate that fits in the rail system so you can keep it behind the passenger seat.

If you search this site you will find examples for securing fridges, but you will also see plenty of photos where the fridges are not secured at all.

The chunky carry handles on the Dometic CFX range are great for attaching securing straps to, and will still allow full access to the fridge. Roof rack webbing cam straps are ideal.

Back