Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Stay

leightonjthomas

leightonjthomas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We're in Germany at the moment and the fridge is working perfectly except for the fact that the screw that holds the stay to the lid has come off.
A minor problem, but annoying nevertheless because it is difficult enough to move food in and out without the added burden of having to hold the lid up by hand.
The screw is a flathead and is so close to the wardrobe that it seems impossible to get it back in. Does the whole lid need to be removed or is there an easier way?

Hi, we had the same problem, couldn't see how to get to it so got the dealer to fix it under warranty.

Cheers. I thought I might be missing a quick fix.
I'll sort it when we get home.
Leighton

Had same issue a few years ago... Took fridge lid off to access the "top" end of the strut.

Less than 10 minutes to sort.

yes, I took the lid off to, simple to do, good look

Cheers guys. If I can put my hands on the right tools I'll give it a go.

Have the same problem so was just checking before taking the fridge lid off that there was no stupid VAG "detailing" (shims)

Have just had the same issue and this week had mine replaced under warranty- with this.....

image.jpeg

Can't face going to the dealer again.

You only need an Allen key and a screwdriver then as simplydubs said its less than 10 mins to sort out.

Will do it tonight and apply a bit of loctite

Well I wish I didn't start. VAG through and through.

Damaged thread on insert (male thread should be stronger allowing the bolt to be sacrificial in this instance ) so 15mins trying to restart a tread . Got close before the bolt snapped, soft.

So fine put the lid back on and one hinge bolt will not do up*. Undo bolts and check. Redo and now two bolts don't do up. Machine bolts into thin gauge extruded aluminium (about 1 female thread pitch and soft material = rubbish).One or two hit applications depending on how well it was done at the factory.

Will put some micro inserts in.

I wonder if this is a cause of hinge failure i.e only held on one bolt.

Well I wish I didn't start. VAG through and through.

Damaged thread on insert (male thread should be stronger allowing the bolt to be sacrificial in this instance ) so 15mins trying to restart a tread . Got close before the bolt snapped, soft.

So fine put the lid back on and one hinge bolt will not do up*. Undo bolts and check. Redo and now two bolts don't do up. Machine bolts into thin gauge extruded aluminium (about 1 female thread pitch and soft material = rubbish).One or two hit applications depending on how well it was done at the factory.

Will put some micro inserts in.

I wonder if this is a cause of hinge failure i.e only held on one bolt.
I feel complicit in this disaster, sorry. It really was a 10 min job on my vehicle.

Being VAG I had an inkling of trouble before I started. I was hoping it was just a bolt that fell out and having checked the male thread before starting assumed all was okay for refitting:headbang

All fixable but preference would be do it right first time around. (Crumbs I was detailing out bi-metallic corrosion in construction in the late 80s)

Had the same problem and have fixed thanks to this thread. Seemed a little trivial to take back to dealer...
For info the hinges are a 3mm hex head and 2.5mm for the hex bolt holding the hinge on. Watch out for the washer on the hinge assembly- it could easily drop down the gap between fridge and cupboard.
I applied a bit of loctite to each bolt upon re-assembly.

IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0956.JPG Fixed with bolt, nuts and washers from my toolkit.

Back