Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge strut fixing to wardrobe has come loose - how to fix?

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
2010 California.

The bolt which secures the base of the gas strut on the fridge lid has worked itself loose and is about to part company from where it fixes to the outside wall of the adjacent wardrobe.

It seem that there is a small metal plate fixed on the inside of the wardrobe with a hole in it into which the bolt is screwed. The trouble is that I think the thread of this hole has been damaged and it no longer secures the end of the bolt.

The plate does not look as if it can be removed, so replacement looks to be awkward. I am thinking I have have to source a longer bolt and put a washer and nut within the wardrobe where the longer bolt will protrude as a repair.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so might there be a better way of fixing it?

Our bolt is loose and before too long I fear it will part company from the wall. Tightening our bolt no longer has any effect due to the damaged thread.

This is the plate on the inside of the wardrobe.

image.jpg

and our wobbly strut.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think that is probably the best option and probably the cheapest. The metal plate is probably just held on with double sided tape. If you have some fishing line you could use it as a saw to cut through the tape and remove the plate if you wish.

Even better if you're not a fisherman.

I'm not a fisherman so good advice. I'm usually fishing for compliments though.

I'm wondering if I can buy the part (the plate) but can't see it shown on the parts catalogue.

I resuscitate this thread as the bolt fixing the strut to the wall has now come loose again after my previous repair and there is nothing to screw it into as the thread is completely worn away.

I will take a trip to a hardware store and try to make up a replacement bolt using washers as spacers but ideally I need the existing bolt that fixes to the wardrobe metal plate (that I showed in the photos above) to protrude through the panel so I can fix a nut to it to keep it secured and I don't know if such a part exists.

Has anyone else found a fix for this?

Someone above did suggest I try to remove the rectangular plate and I guess that if I did do this and then re-fixed it slightly askew I could then drill a new hole for the bolt to fix though. I may give that a try if my new bolt and washers bodge doesn't work.

Am I alone in having this fixing fail?

Best wishes

@Hannick , from about now on the new T6's coming from the factory do not have any struds on the fridge or cooker worktop.
You might try and get your hands on the new hinges VW uses now and get rid of the problem....
Nerver searched for the hinges doh , let us know if you find them....
In my report on the club factory visit last april we took pictures .

Fixed it this evening with a longer bolt, washers to get the spacing and a nut.

Works fine. Easy fix.