Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge switching off

johnv

johnv

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I wonder if anyone can help me with this one .. just got back from a weekend and was using the van with no hookup, but half way through the fridge would not switch on, even though the panal was showing 90% charge ?? you could hear the cick as it went on, then it would immediately switch off again. It would be fine with the engine running
2015-08-30%2016.27.55.jpg

I have been well educated in recent weeks to ignoring the percentage. It will show 90% two minutes after the engine has been running despite a low battery charge.

More important is that 11V. At 90% I would expect to see 12.6 - 12.8

My fridge will not work below 10.9V, as tested yesterday.

I suggest that you see what happens when back on hook-up or after a long - 100 mile plus - run.

OK that makes sense .. I just switched it on again after the run home, and it's stayed on ... but does this mean the leisure batteries have had it do you think ? (2012 van)
thanks .. (I have been following your thread and I'm hoping mine hasn't caught the same bug as the guarantee is out!)

That photo shows that its not on hook up?

no it's not on hook up .. it works fine when hooked up, but I guess the batteries are not holding their charge any more .. I thought the 90% meant something other than it obviously does!

How long were you running without hook-up? Presumably you were also running lights etc off the batteries? If it was only a weekend and you were not using microwaves, 12v cookers etc then I would definitely think something is wrong.

Sorry misread your original post, thought it said you were on hookup, not no hook up. Had you charged the batteries fully before you went? a mains charge fills the battery more than the alternator can. As Jen said there is a cut out that stops the fridge totally knackering the batteries by stopping it working at under 11v

Ignore the % its the V that matters in this case. When you say a weekend is that just 2 nights? what else had you been using? anything, even an adapter plugged into the inverter socket? Using the parking heater? and how old are the batteries?

About 2 1/2 days if that, and just the fridge really .. maybe a phone on charge and lights hardly at all

If the batteries are original and been properly treated, eg on mains hookup for at least 12hrs monthly as per handbook and not seriously depleted at any time, then they should last 5 - 6 years.
Are you the original owner?

no I've had it about a year, I think it spent the first 2 years of it's life mainly sitting in a driveway, it had only done 7000 miles and I doubt if it was hooked up more than once in that time

If the batteries are original and been properly treated, eg on mains hookup for at least 12hrs monthly as per handbook and not seriously depleted at any time, then they should last 5 - 6 years

Note that the handbook only instructs plugging in for 12 hours every month if the vehicle isn't in regular use. If you are driving frequently the batteries will be kept charged by the alternator.

Note that the handbook only instructs plugging in for 12 hours every month if the vehicle isn't in regular use. If you are driving frequently the batteries will be kept charged by the alternator.

Still worth plugging in as the batteries will never reach the saturation phase from the alternator and as such plugging in will still extend the useful life.

Rgds
Mark

The leisure batteries may well have been stressed such that they will no longer hold an adequate charge.
Two options. Get them properly checked out or bite the bullet and replace.
The previous owner, if they hadn't switched off the Control Panel may well have seriously drained the leisure batteries with an extended lay up of the vehicle.

Back