Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge won’t switch off and is freezing everything

C

CaliKate

Guest User
I’ve just had my new VW California and the fridge seems to be faulty. Very disappointed but there you go.

Now I’ve tried everything. Or so I think. It’s properly closed. It’s on level one. But according to the control panel, when it is switched on, it switches itself off after a minute and then is still functioning. But functioning too much - it’s freezing everything in there.

Is there any way to reset the system? Or is this a job for VW van centre? Am I doing something wrong? It’s “off” according to the panel but it’s whirring away next to me now.

This sounds like the exact same fault that @Jabberwocky had and the result was a new fridge controller and relay, I would take it back to the dealer as a warranty fault, although it might save time and diagnosis if you went in armed with some information on @Jabberwocky's case like who the dealer was that fixed it so your dealer can ring them and save time understanding what they had to do to fix his issue.

i've been having similar problems with my new van too. my fridge is on whenever the control panel is illuminated, regardless of if i set the fridge to off.

I'm guessing there is a batch to dodgy control units.

Mine's booked in for later this month.

Update: We've had our van checked by VW. At first, they thought it was the sensor. But then it became the whole fridge. We've had a complete replacement. It's with them now. I must say, although it's been disappointing having a brand new van with a faulty fridge, I can't fault VW for sorting it out promptly.

Update: We've had our van checked by VW. At first, they thought it was the sensor. But then it became the whole fridge. We've had a complete replacement. It's with them now. I must say, although it's been disappointing having a brand new van with a faulty fridge, I can't fault VW for sorting it out promptly.
@CaliKate we have the same diagnosis. I wonder if it is your van centre my centre are talking to. Apparently it has been a tricky problem to solve so my centre has looked into it with another centre from a different group with the same problem. I will be glad when it is fixed. It was a rocky start but they seem to be dealing with it now. Fingers crossed it is sorted soon.

You
@CaliKate we have the same diagnosis. I wonder if it is your van centre my centre are talking to. Apparently it has been a tricky problem to solve so my centre has looked into it with another centre from a different group with the same problem. I will be glad when it is fixed. It was a rocky start but they seem to be dealing with it now. Fingers crossed it is sorted soon.

You never know! Either way, I’m glad you’re getting sorted too :)

Back