Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fridge won't switch on ...?

alstevens

alstevens

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi folks, fourth time out and the fridge would not switch on - get to the display - press the fridge on section - it switches on momentarily then immediately returns to the switch off tick ??? Is it me , or is it the switch or....???

[RSVP=9610]Click here to RSVP[/RSVP]

Have you turned it up to high setting?

Can you switch it on with the fridge button, and does it then remain illuminated?

Nope - just displays the temperature setting , nothing else - then go back to the menu and still 'switch off'......

"Put it up to 5 is that high ?"
5 is about halfway, try it higher, can't remember if 7 or 10 the highest.

Ok ...

Press fridge button.

Temperature selection should display.

Select temperature with knob, press knob.

Hooked up ... have you got the plug symbol displayed bottom right?

Yep, plug symbol is there - have done all of the above - many times now!! Still reverts to 'switch off' Have rung the dealer who thought he might have heard of such things but needed to ' do some paperwork' and would get back to me.... so remain perplexed - maybe I should have stayed with the tent and coolbox - never had any trouble there ....

What about the press to reset function?
Never done it myself but others will explain.

Thanks for the suggestions folks - nothing seems to make any difference so have booked in for a diagnostic - though have to wait as couple of weeks for a slot - looks like warm wine and curdled milk for a while -

al

Two weeks for a diagnostic slot?????
How old is your Cali?

Took the bubble wrap off in November - still under 2000 m ... needs a clean though

al

If this fault is stopping your use of the vehicle then I would be parked across their workshop entrance at 8.00am tomorrow morning and be reminding them how much hard earned money you have spent that keeps them in their jobs. :mad:

I agree with Snowy.

Disgraceful.

Reset Control Panel.

Push and hold the Rotary knob and bottom button immediately underneath knob, for a few seconds.
New menu appears. Using rotary knob select VW Diagnostics.
Take note of any logged fault codes in various sections.
To clear fault codes push and hold in bottom Right button on control unit.

Thanks for the magic instructions - sadly did not get me very far - got through as above but ended with 'no errors!' but still the fridge switch refuses to stay switched on .... has anyone else had this, or am I alone in my tooth gnashing struggle with the hidden Cali demon ?

I had it which I eventually traced to low voltage in the batteries despite being on hook up. I then established that despite being hooked up the charger was not charging and the batteries instead of being charged were being drained.

I still have it except the lack of charging is more apparent now, i.e. It's given up the ghost entirely.

Sounds worrying Jen, how old is your chariot ?

al

17 months,

It is not a big inconvenience - yet. I am mostly on the move, rarely static long enough to have to depend upon EHU to charge the batteries. In fact most of the time that I am touring the EHU cable might just as well stay at home. A couple on here now have had same problem, one very recently had it solved by a quick replacement of the voltage regulator.

There has been some debate about the location of this regulator, it is under the fridge so if the fridge is working and gets warm then the regulator gets warm and I do believe it has a thermal cut out.

As you said earlier two weeks is a long time to wait for some dealer / warranty aid, sounds like your experience of getting things fixed is not a lot better - how have others found the much publicised VW warranty system ?

Al - have you checked the fuse to the fridge?

Reactions: JAD
Al - have you checked the fuse to the fridge?

Colin, if it was the fuse would you be able to hear the fridge switch on, and then off?

I'm a complete dumbo with these things but that was the same as with mine, fridge would switch on then off a few seconds later.

Colin, if it was the fuse would you be able to hear the fridge switch on, and then off?

I'm a complete dumbo with these things but that was the same as with mine, fridge would switch on then off a few seconds later.
Don't know, TBH, if it's a clicking noise you can hear then that may just be the relay; but if you can hear a humming noise then that would mean the fridge must have power ...

As you said earlier two weeks is a long time to wait for some dealer / warranty aid, sounds like your experience of getting things fixed is not a lot better - how have others found the much publicised VW warranty system ?

I have found VW to be excellent so far.

Most of the long lag with my fridge / EHU problem has been down to me, since SMG replaced the control panel and had the vehicle in their workshops last June I have not complained as it was not a problem to me. It is only recently that charging from EHU has gone from spasmodically cutting out to only spasmodically cutting in. SMG would have it in their workshops on Monday but for the fact that I am off again on my travels next week so cannot release the vehicle.

More to do with the AA than VW assist but when I shredded two tyres in a remote corner of Scotland a few weeks ago the VW / AA recovery service was superb.

So far I have found a "no quibbles" service.