Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge works sometimes?

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
just back from Brittainy and had some issues with the fridge. Normally, if I go to the fridge at night I can hear it working but on this trip it would seem to switch itself off. There would be zero drain from batteries according to the panel and water in the fridge the following day.
However, the fridge sign on the panel was always on, not flashing to suggest a fault. The fridge worked whilst driving.
Leisure batteries did after 2 days of just sitting reach 40% but mainly showed between 80 and 90. We drove most days.
Any ideas why this might be happening?

just back from Brittainy and had some issues with the fridge. Normally, if I go to the fridge at night I can hear it working but on this trip it would seem to switch itself off. There would be zero drain from batteries according to the panel and water in the fridge the following day.
However, the fridge sign on the panel was always on, not flashing to suggest a fault. The fridge worked whilst driving.
Leisure batteries did after 2 days of just sitting reach 40% but mainly showed between 80 and 90. We drove most days.
Any ideas why this might be happening?
What setting was it on? and what was the ambient temperature like?

The fridge should only run the compressor when it needs to, it won't run constantly unless you have it set very cold or it is very hot in the van and it has to work harder.

Best way to check it's working ok is an internal thermometer to read the temp. Was it keeping cool inside?

It may also have stopped due to voltage cut out to prevent battery being over drained. Running when the engine is on only may indicate this.

What setting was it on? and what was the ambient temperature like?
Hi WelshGas
It was on 3 and it was between 17&20 during the day and chilli at times during the nights.

Hi WelshGas
It was on 3 and it was between 17&20 during the day and chilli at times during the nights.
I think that is too low. I run mine on 6 at home before departure and normally 5 on site. Only rarely during winter do I turn down to 4 or 3.

Don't forget, if the habitation area is warm, you will require to turn the fridge up, never mind the outside temperature.

Back