Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Permanently switched on

OK, still no news from VW about availability of new fridge control unit - that's an aside for the real reason for this update.
This is odd, very odd!
I decided to charge the leisure batteries today as they were showing 60%. In order to see the charge rate I needed to switch off the fridge. OK, the only way to do this, I thought, and see the control panel is to take the fridge fuse out. The fuse was warm as if it, the fridge, had been working. No surprise there but what happened next was. With the fuse out the fridge kept on working!! Was a faulty fridge controller the right diagnosis?
Can anyone explain that?
Any thoughts @VW Guru ?

I don't understand this bit, can you elaborate?
I think @Jabberwocky wanted to see the true charging rate when he powered up the Mains Charger, but the fridge was running continuously, so he attempted to switch it Off by removing the Fuse, but it kept running.

Reactions: Loz
I think @Jabberwocky wanted to see the true charging rate when he powered up the Mains Charger, but the fridge was running continuously, so he attempted to switch it Off by removing the Fuse, but it kept running.
Thanks WG. Precisely.

My fridge seems to have a mind of its own now. Sometimes it just comes on. But if off, if now switches on if I simply illuminate the control panel, even if the fridge light/switch is off abd it is marked as switched off. To turn it off I have to reset the control panel and then press the 0/1 button.

My firdge (of my three day old cali) seems to switch on and off in its own time, unrelated to the control switch. Now my concern is that when I first got in the van for the demonstration and asked why the leisure battery was low (shouldn't it they be full as they are brand new I asked) and he told me it was normal and nothing to worry about (and then charged them up overnight when other repairs were being done), that this was in fact not normal, and because the fridge has been draining them for some time. Hope the batteries aren't damaged.

I guess they are under warrenty. I'll be sure to send the dealer an email, so at least it is catalogued. And I need to get the fridge fixed anyway. (although I'm away a month now.)
The fridge should have battery protection so that may be shutting it off to protect your battery from damage from over discharging.

I would hope if the batteries are damaged due to fault they would fix it, but hopefully the battery protection will still work.

The fridge should have battery protection so that may be shutting it off to protect your battery from damage from over discharging.

I would hope if the batteries are damaged due to fault they would fix it, but hopefully the battery protection will still work.
I am assuming that as the lowest level of discharge has been 60% that the batteries are in good shape. I mains charged them yesterday to 100%. Overnight no deterioration of charge. (Control panel off and consequently fridge also off!)

Good news that its just the controller and they arent trying to change the whole fridge like the olden days of 2017 lol ;)

There is a ignition feed to the fridge as well as a main feed did you have the ignition switched on ?
I could not remember so did the following.
1: Removed fridge 30 amp fuse (See attached layout - red ring)
2: Removed keys from ignition
3: Switched on control panel (fridge showing switched off)
Observation?
Fridge is on.

[Not sure if this of any relevance to this problem but as an Ocean the vehicle should be fitted with the "Lights and Vision" package. It is not fitted as they ran out of parts on the production line.]

Passenger seat fuse board.
1565281950854.png

Last edited:
10a fuse, the other is the rear lights so just check yours aren’t swapped and the lights are still working with that one pulled.

I'll check in the morning and take photo of my fuse layout/values.

OK, panic over!
This is my fuse layout. Removing the correct fuse and the fridge is not on in any circumstance.
Sorry to trouble you all with me making incorrect assumptions when looking at stock fuse layout and thinking mine was the same.
1565341375024.png

Well, today we had the fridge control panel and a relay replaced.
(Sorry I don't know which relay or where for those trying to solve a similar problem we had - I'm sure @VW Guru knows) All's good and wine is chilled again. Normal service returns!
Thanks for all help and guidance with call outs for @VW Guru (Breeze Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Poole), @Loz and @VWVanCentreBirmingham (Swansway).

I just went away for the first time this weekend in my brand new Cali and it seems I have this problem too. Just emailed the dealer and awaiting a reply :(

I just went away for the first time this weekend in my brand new Cali and it seems I have this problem too. Just emailed the dealer and awaiting a reply :(
Mines brand new too! Must be a batch of faulty controllers/relays as it seems we are not alone! Take care not to drain your batteries too much. If you have option of having an EHU at the campsite suggest you take advantage.
All the best.

Sorry if I sound suspicious, but was it the controller or relay at fault?
Glad it is fixed
Why are you suspicious?
I'm not sure which item caused the problem but I was told that both were replaced so I assumed they both contributed. Maybe the failure of the one caused the failure of the other. I'm no electrician but I do know there can be knock on problems.

My fridge seems to have a mind of its own now. Sometimes it just comes on. But if off, if now switches on if I simply illuminate the control panel, even if the fridge light/switch is off abd it is marked as switched off. To turn it off I have to reset the control panel and then press the 0/1 button.

So, i'm back from my month away in my wonderful brand new Cali...apart from the very difficult to use fridge. I'll phone the dealer today and make an appointment to have the control unit looked at. Just one quick (maybe stupid) question before i do. In order to get my fridge to switch off, (and it sometimes just comes on without me asking it too) I have to switch on the control panel, (by pressing the O/I button) turn the fridge ON, then OFF, and then switch the control panel off (by pressing the O/I button again). Only with this last action does the fridge stop buzzing/switch off. If i want to switch the fridge on, i have to turn it on then not touch the O/I button, because if i do it will simply switch the fridge off. (i.e. i have to let the control panel display 'time out' and that leaves the fridge on)

I just wanted to check that this is all very odd. (i.e. apart from the fridge switching on randomly, the O/I button shouldn't independently switch the fridge on and off?)

Thanks!

Back