Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Friends travelling from abroad (not uk citizens)

Post #18

Spent the last 10 days trying to find an insurance company that will temp insure some friends coming from New Zealand next year and want to borrow my Cali.
Firstly the vehicle database that insurance companies use has my vehicle as a swb transporter or caravelle, this can be corrected but takes a long time.
Secondly we seem to be the only country that does not allow foreign nationals to just jump in a vehicle and drive.
Has anybody had this problem before ? or have you let a non uk resident drive your cali and if so what did you do about insurance.

Spent the last 10 days trying to find an insurance company that will temp insure some friends coming from New Zealand next year and want to borrow my Cali.
Firstly the vehicle database that insurance companies use has my vehicle as a swb transporter or caravelle, this can be corrected but takes a long time.
Secondly we seem to be the only country that does not allow foreign nationals to just jump in a vehicle and drive.
Has anybody had this problem before ? or have you let a non uk resident drive your cali and if so what did you do about insurance.
I presume your friends could Hire a California and the Hire Company’s Insurance would cover them, so maybe find out which Insurance Companies they use?

Can you add them to your Insurance? They might need an International Driving Liscence?
How do EU nationals manage, or Non-EU, who come to live in U.K. ? They manage to get cars etc: and drive, presumably properly Insured.

Have you tried this company. Seems to fit the bill.

@WelshGas . Thank you for the reply, i have tried "Dayinsure" . The problem is my California on the master insurance data base is listed as a SWB Transporter, NOT a California i can only presume this was done as at the time very few California were about.
It looks like the other option is that they insure it for the whole year, or to see if i can add there names on the policy.
I will keep trying as we are borrowing their California when we go to New Zealand in February. With no problem over insurance.