Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From tent to campervan

Black Sheep

Black Sheep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are on the cusp (probably next weekend) of ordering a cherry red California Ocean 204 DSG - the family have already decided to call it Oscar in memory of our 21 year old cat.
The advice and experiences that folk have shared on this forum have been a great help to us - especially with choosing the different (and sometimes unclear) additional options that are available - thank you everyone.

We have decided to add the following options.
Front & rear parking sensors (with camera)
Mud flaps
Privacy glass with heat insulation
Black awning
Front assist city auto brake - without ACC
Cruise control multi function steering wheel including side scan
Composition media radio
App connect
Monster matts
Bumper protection
Without model and engine badge.

We decided to (hopefully) decline the leaking back window option.

We are going to try our compact & lightweight 'self inflating' sleeping mats at first - that have kept us comfy on hard ground whilst camping - then decide if we need a mattress topper.

We have never used electricity or 'hook up' whilst backpacking or camping before (up until now most of our camping food has been cooked on an open fire or our old Trangia) - but since Xmas we have started to prepare by experimenting at home cooking with a new Remoska - excellent baked spuds!

Following numerous recommendations on the forum we are going to get some seat covers to use from 'day one' - probably inka.

We have been offered VW's GAP insurance (£299 for 3 years cover) and tyre cover (£199 for 3 years) that look like potential value for money?

Niceone , Welcome....!

I'm intrigued you opted for no front or model badging .... a route taken often by the custom bus afficonados normally done not from new ....

I'm intrigued you opted for no front or model badging .... a route taken often by the custom bus afficonados normally done not from new ....
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Our reason for choosing not to have front or rear model badging (when we worked out what it meant) is a bit dull I am afraid - it is just based on the assumption that it will help make it just a little bit easier to clean the Cali after a good holiday.

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Our reason for choosing not to have front or rear model badging (when we worked out what it meant) is a bit dull I am afraid - it is just based on the assumption that it will help make it just a little bit easier to clean the Cali after a good holiday.
Welcome Black Sheep,
Very nice indeed.
If you insure it with the Caravan Club, two years GAP insurance is included in the policy.

Nice van! You have touched a nerve of mine about why folks chose to insure small risks. I'm guessing that if you can afford a new Ocean then a wrecked tyre isn't going to find you at food banks? VW won't be planning on losing out on the deal. On average, customers will lose out, even before you consider the salesman's commission and the back office of middle managers who dream up and administer these plans.
Insure the van, insure the house, get Gap in with your compulsory insurance, but roll with the punches on the rest and I think you'll be better off.
(as a said, you touched a nerve!).

Tyre Insurance - my tyres wore out before they could get a puncture. Mind you they had done 22,000 miles.
The problem nowadays with modern vehicles with ABS, ESR and 4wheel drive etc: if you have a puncture that cannot be repaired on a part worn tyre and you have just that tyre replaced then you end up with a mismatch of wheel rolling radii on the same axle which can cause problems with the clever eletrickery and you end up having to replace both tyres. Something not covered by these policies.

Thanks for your suggestions bigmac77 and Borris - we will look into them.
T4WFA and WelshGas - thanks for sharing your views about the 'tyre cover' offer too - we can only recollect having punctures in our car's tyres on three occasions since last century - so after further consideration we reckon 'tyre cover' is probably not worth it - cheers.