Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Lights question for....New T6 Ocean owner!!

Rawly

Rawly

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all

I should start by saying.... I’m new, the van isn’t, but a beautiful, immaculate 2016 Ocean with only 7,300 on the clock. ( credit to its one former owner!!!)

I have a simple question. I, like a lot of you out there just want to have better front lighting.
It’s the one flaw in the vehicle. It only has rear LED lighting.
So.....as I’m researching upgrading the bulbs at the very least, does anyone know, if the wiring, system, fuses etc are identical to a normal T6 Transporter!!!

Yes, same as transporter.
Do you have H4 or H7?
See attached.

Attachments

• T6-Lights.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi all

I should start by saying.... I’m new, the van isn’t, but a beautiful, immaculate 2016 Ocean with only 7,300 on the clock. ( credit to its one former owner!!!)

I have a simple question. I, like a lot of you out there just want to have better front lighting.
It’s the one flaw in the vehicle. It only has rear LED lighting.
So.....as I’m researching upgrading the bulbs at the very least, does anyone know, if the wiring, system, fuses etc are identical to a normal T6 Transporter!!!

Many thanks for the info. Sorry for delay in replying.
I believe I have come up trumps and found a company that have developed a replacement headlight unit that gives you all bulb positions as LED. Including the DRL.
They mainly do T5 and 6 Transporters. But have had quite a few California customers.
It’s £600. For both side. They can be taken away or they can organise a company next to them to fit them. £80. Takes 1 hr due to front bumper coming off. Sometimes less.

I won’t name and recommend them yet. I’m going to take the risk first, then will post a thread to let all know.
Thanks again for your help !!

I would be wary of non- "E" marked replacement LED lamps, the focal point is rarely in the correct place for the light pattern to work properly without dazzling and it may subsequently fail an MOT.
Transporter HQ do replacement light and only the DRL is LED but the lamps are H7 and white versions are available,

Ok thanks Loz.
I believe they are ‘E’ marked but will be checking before I make any replacement!!

Cheaper and legal option is to replace the standard bulbs with the GE ones, I've got both the Philips 150% and the GE 150% in our vehicles and found the GE bulbs were the better performing of the 2 Brands.
total spend of £44 plus you can put LED bulbs in the DRL's and totally transform them for little cost.

I've seen T6 headlight LED conversion which looked good but closer reading had a disclaimer saying that the LED bulbs weren't road legal.

Cheaper and legal option is to replace the standard bulbs with the GE ones, I've got both the Philips 150% and the GE 150% in our vehicles and found the GE bulbs were the better performing of the 2 Brands.
total spend of £44 plus you can put LED bulbs in the DRL's and totally transform them for little cost.

I've seen T6 headlight LED conversion which looked good but closer reading had a disclaimer saying that the LED bulbs weren't road legal.

Many thanks for taking the time. Especially the link.
Having read all the feedback and details of these, they are road legal and E marked.
I’m undecided still. But I’m so happy with this vehicle. Colour, only 7300 miles, it is completely full spec (except LCD front lol).
Even originally registered at purchase VW16CAL !!, that I’m thinking of keeping it for a long time. So I may treat myself to the new LCD package.
Well .....until the new Electric one arrives on our shores

Many thanks for taking the time. Especially the link.
Having read all the feedback and details of these, they are road legal and E marked.
I’m undecided still. But I’m so happy with this vehicle. Colour, only 7300 miles, it is completely full spec (except LCD front lol).
Even originally registered at purchase VW16CAL !!, that I’m thinking of keeping it for a long time. So I may treat myself to the new LCD package.
Well .....until the new Electric one arrives on our shores
I just mentioned it as in the information that I read the light unit was 'E' marked but if LED bulbs were inserted instead of Halogen ones it then wouldn't be road legal. The warning related to the bulbs fitted.
LED DRL's aren't a problem just dip & main beam.

LED headlights 'must' have auto levelling system, conversions usually still only have manual levelling.
Usual devil in the detail.

Ok I will check. I would have thought they are as this conversion is done in a great deal of T6 Transporters. But I will be making sure before I have them fitted.
Thanks again

Many thanks for the info. Sorry for delay in replying.
I believe I have come up trumps and found a company that have developed a replacement headlight unit that gives you all bulb positions as LED. Including the DRL.
They mainly do T5 and 6 Transporters. But have had quite a few California customers.
It’s £600. For both side. They can be taken away or they can organise a company next to them to fit them. £80. Takes 1 hr due to front bumper coming off. Sometimes less.

I won’t name and recommend them yet. I’m going to take the risk first, then will post a thread to let all know.
Thanks again for your help !!
T 6 ocean 2018
Went to Halfords in Beverly and changed all 4 headlight buns to uprated
Total cost inc fitting £85.00
It’s a sod of a job to change yourself..... well worth £15.00
Lights are now greatly improved at minimal cost
Don’t waste cash on costly l e d conversions as it won’t add a penny to resale value and could cause warranty issues if you have an electrical problem
From sunny Germany en route to lescala in Spain
T6 .1 seen At Düsseldorf show ..... many practical and cosmetic improvements but the price !!!!

Thanks Geoff.
Yes certainly do see your point. Good sense. But....I’m afraid I’ve got the LED bug. Everything else I drive has full LED. My retirement job is doing VIP driving for BWM and Audi. Using 2019 X5 and 7’s, Audi Q7/8 and my wife’s Mini Cooper S, has spoilt me!
Also I’ve no intention on changing my veh until the new All Electric California is well tried and tested and appearing on the second hand market

Have fun in Spain

Thanks Geoff.
Yes certainly do see your point. Good sense. But....I’m afraid I’ve got the LED bug. Everything else I drive has full LED. My retirement job is doing VIP driving for BWM and Audi. Using 2019 X5 and 7’s, Audi Q7/8 and my wife’s Mini Cooper S, has spoilt me!
Also I’ve no intention on changing my veh until the new All Electric California is well tried and tested and appearing on the second hand market

Have fun in Spain
Hi Rawly
I get where you are coming from as wife has a new eloquent with leds... fantastic but for the Cali I never exceed 80mph so lights more than adequate
Happy days x

Well done with the purchase but I'd be more impressed if it was immaculate and had 70,000 on the clock!

Back