Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Future owner MPG question

I drive at similar speeds to you, don't accelerate fast and use coasting. My Beach 150 DSG is averaging 35mpg. No idea how people genuinely achieve well over 40mpg.
Hallelujah - I felt like Beelzebub for suggesting 40 mpg seems so far from my reality!

I coast a lot, rarely put my foot to the floor etc

Might see if it can be checked somehow.

My 2008 60k miles 2.5 174bhp auto this summer at around 78mph on french autoroutes, fully loaded with 4 bikes on the back (bad for mpg) often dipped to averaging 19.8 mpg. Awful.

At Easter with no bikes down to the Alps but similarly fast we got 26.9mpg.

In England averaging 65mph we get 30mpg just. I actually like 50mph roadworks.

Don’t get a 5 cylinder 2.5 auto T5.

Last edited:
Don’t get a 5 cylinder 2.5 auto T5
That early pre DSG gearbox does seem very inefficient.

Having had all ages of Cali's I noted that the calculated mpg grew in error (over optimistic) the newer they got, (compared with brim to brim manual calculation), upto 10%, so 44mpg could really be 40. The 2006 calc was very accurate. They got slightly more fuel efficient as the years went on, but very modestly.

That early pre DSG gearbox does seem very inefficient.

Having had all ages of Cali's I noted that the calculated mpg grew in error (over optimistic) the newer they got, (compared with brim to brim manual calculation), upto 10%, so 44mpg could really be 40. The 2006 calc was very accurate. They got slightly more fuel efficient as the years went on, but very modestly.
I should have qualified it with "obviously in most other ways it is the best"!

T6 150hp Ocean, 6 speed Manual box. Average consumption normally indicates 42-45 mpg, 2 up, fully laden with 2 x Ebikes on the towbar rack at consistent 55-60 mph. Less mpg in Wales, more in Europe with better roads.

It depends absolutely on driving conditions. So many variables. Speed, wind, road conditions, acceleration, braking, stop/start, etc. etc. To get the best 55-65 mph on a motorway wind behind and down hill. The worst up hill, head wind, pedal flat on the floor towing a 5 ton trailer. Or similar, this equates to any vehicle unless there is a problem with said vehicle. It’s basically physics.

Over the longer term we have averaged 38mpg across all types of journeys, town, country, motorway etc. Typically on longer trips 42mpg checked at the fuel pump. During the summer I made a round trip each week of 400 miles for 5 weeks, plus about 50 miles of local tootling around. I refilled each time I came home and it was fairly consistent. One week it got above 45mpg which I put down to 50mph speed restrictions for a good part of the journey.

I also found that the dash computer mpg for the journey was pretty
close to the full to full calc.

In my case (T6.1 Beach), over 2000 miles, computer is showing a bit worse reading than actual full to full calculation. Difference is about 0.5mpg.

It depends absolutely on driving conditions. So many variables. Speed, wind, road conditions, acceleration, braking, stop/start, etc. etc. To get the best 55-65 mph on a motorway wind behind and down hill. The worst up hill, head wind, pedal flat on the floor towing a 5 ton trailer. Or similar, this equates to any vehicle unless there is a problem with said vehicle. It’s basically physics.
That said, over time variables will even out.

To my simple mind, with no extra drag eg bike rack, and a fairly economical right boot on mainly motorway miles at a speed of ca 65-70mph, the 32MPG I am seeing as a long term average is definitely on the low side.

I accept/understand a builders can isn’t the slipperiest profile. Just comparing with others’ observed MPG.

That said, over time variables will even out.

To my simple mind, with no extra drag eg bike rack, and a fairly economical right boot on mainly motorway miles at a speed of ca 65-70mph, the 32MPG I am seeing as a long term average is definitely on the low side.

I accept/understand a builders can isn’t the slipperiest profile. Just comparing with others’ observed MPG.
Yes, I thought mine was bad but mines 16 years old!

Thank you folks! I know it is very subjective and depends on your speed, wind and above all your driving style! I quite enjoy hypermiling and recently managed 83mpg in my big estate car from central Birmingham to Taunton, travelling around 65 (with a very light foot.)

I am not sure the mpg data is any good. My 150hp T6 Ocean will do 600 miles on a full tank down to France with a full load

I am not sure the mpg data is any good. My 150hp T6 Ocean will do 600 miles on a full tank down to France with a full load
Okay, enough about mpg. Let's talk about range (very trendy nowadays with EV's).
Get your calculator and convert km to mi:
IMG_20230514_150617.jpg

The Trip counter was reset when I left on a trip, and with a full tank (80 liter).

And this was my mpg:
IMG_20230514_150636.jpg

What is the Memory 2 reading?
Memory 2 is always reset when refueling.
Only on holidays I leave memory 2 running, so I can see how much km I have driven.
But combined, from refueling before leaving, 2 days mostly highway, and then refueling again, it was in the low 6 liters per 100km.

The total mpg of my California (only registered from 85000km to now (200000km)) is 7,6 liter per 100km.
And that is with going to work with the van during the year, apart from when the weather is good enough to take the bike. The single trip is only 12km.

Memory 2 is always reset when refueling.
Only on holidays I leave memory 2 running, so I can see how much km I have driven.
But combined, from refueling before leaving, 2 days mostly highway, and then refueling again, it was in the low 6 liters per 100km.

The total mpg of my California (only registered from 85000km to now (200000km)) is 7,6 liter per 100km.
And that is with going to work with the van during the year, apart from when the weather is good enough to take the bike. The single trip is only 12km.
So 37mpg. Well done.

So 37mpg. Well done.
If I would not use my California as a daily driver, the mpg would hit the low 40's with ease.
And if I would try to drive economically, the figure would rise even more. But I like to enjoy the drive, and not focus on the mpg instead.

Hi I'm Rob and we are hoping to take the plunge in the next year. I have a slightly unusual brief in addition to wanting a Cali that will not only work for regular camping (my office is 250 miles away and I visit for 3 days each month), but it will probably also replace my estate car which has done 170K in 11 years, averaging 65mpg. I know that no Cali (or any other camper) is going to come close but I'm interested in what are the best mpg figures for a Cali. Logic suggests a T5 or T6 in 2WD with 2.0 engine. I also need it to take a double bass which fits and secures very easily in my current octavia. For short journeys I plan to use either electric or my 43yr old beloved 2CV!
I have 2017 T6 Ocean. It is my only vehicle. I get an average of 42mpg .

37.8mpg average on MPG2 on a usual mix of town + 60mph A-road

when it’s quiet enough (and occasionally deserted) I’ve managed to eke out an indicated 50mpg shown on MPG1 over the 13-mile return leg a few times

Last edited:
I did my first long trip in new 150 Beach. UK - Belgium - Potsdam Germany night driving around 70mph gave me result of 6.9l/100km which is around 40mpg. But Potsdam to Warsaw driving around 75mph during the day gave me much worse result of 8.1l/100km, 34.8mpg. So that second one is similar to my 50/50 London and motorway commute. Not sure how I could achieve 45mpg. Maybe driving 60mph, but that's not viable option, especially in Germany. I would have to sit behind lorries.

I think, next part of the trip will be night driving to Switzerland, that may give me better results, but it's all up to weather forecast in a week. This week I'm giving up on camping due to poor weather in places which I wanted to visit and flying to Middle East for a week to wait out.

180SE 4motion - 112,000 miles and a new engine that's only done 14000 miles
18" wheels and all season tyres (just in case that influences it)

Typically, ours does low 30's mpg if driven like miss daisy - usually somewhere between 25 and 30mpg if driven rurally. The van normally has all kit in it so factor that in?

40mpg is a dream .....

2017 150 bi turbo beach with 7 speed dsg, travelling with HGVs at HGV speeds easily gets 50+ mpg on long runs, especially using the coast function and an occasional tow from an artic, even fully loaded. As a HGV licence holder that speed doesn't bother me and you get there far more relaxed!

2017 150 bi turbo beach with 7 speed dsg, travelling with HGVs at HGV speeds easily gets 50+ mpg on long runs, especially using the coast function and an occasional tow from an artic, even fully loaded. As a HGV licence holder that speed doesn't bother me and you get there far more relaxed!
Interesting. I thought it was only the 180/199 and 204 HP engines had the biturbo.