Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Future owner MPG question

Used as a daily, 2017 2.0 TDI 150 Bluemotion DSG Cali Ocean with empty bike rack. It’s possible to reach 55mpg indicated through judicious use of coasting and careful anticipatory driving at 55mph on motorways and sticking to speed limits on lesser roads. Temps below 5C can reduce this a touch.

If I want to make quicker progress (65-70mph on motorways) then it’s more like 45-50mpg.

To give you an idea of how I drive I have a Mini Cooper SE EV and regularly see 130-140 miles range out of that.

Driving relatively carefully in a 2016 2ltr diesel Audi A6 Avant the long term average mpg was 48mpg.
A new 2023 Audi A6 is 20% worse at 38 to 40mpg, same engine - how efficiency has plunged with new emissions technology!!
Same driving style in our 2016 Cali 150 manual is 40mpg. But the read out on the computer is a bit more optimistic that when you calculate the actual mpg. It is about 10% out and really is more like 36mpg. Still pretty good! I hear the newer 6.1 Calis are less efficient than the T6. Also, the manual is a bit more efficient that the DSG auto.
If you factor in the depreciation cost of putting miles on your Cali, Rob, I would suggest you buy another cheap Octavia or similar for office journeys and save the Cali for fun trips. Possibly wait til the October budget and see what is announced on pay per mile VED and fuel tax - it might influence your decision with different costs to consider.

AVOID T5 180 BiTDi if MPG is a concern, over 5 years we averaged 29MPG, it was our only vehicle but apart from doing the weekly shop it was mostly longer journeys as we walked or cycled locally.

Interesting no one has put the 204 engine in the mix?? Only had our 204 since early May and mixed driving around Norfolk in no hurry it will average 38 - 40. It's done 10k now and seems to be getting better. We have the 80 litre tank and filling up on Saturday is said range was 728 miles.............We did a high speed drive home from Cairnryan ferry to Norwich averaging 70 - 75 using ACC as much as possible and average was showing as 41.5 . To give an idea of my driving we have a 2019 Golf GT Est 1.6tdi and I have no trouble getting 70mpg on a run. I expect my average mpg to rise as engine eases and glad I went for 204 makes for an easier drive.

Hi I'm Rob and we are hoping to take the plunge in the next year. I have a slightly unusual brief in addition to wanting a Cali that will not only work for regular camping (my office is 250 miles away and I visit for 3 days each month), but it will probably also replace my estate car which has done 170K in 11 years, averaging 65mpg. I know that no Cali (or any other camper) is going to come close but I'm interested in what are the best mpg figures for a Cali. Logic suggests a T5 or T6 in 2WD with 2.0 engine. I also need it to take a double bass which fits and secures very easily in my current octavia. For short journeys I plan to use either electric or my 43yr old beloved 2CV!
T6, 2.0, 150ps: Typically above 40mpg, never lower than that and on one journey from Edinburgh to Aviemore on dual carriageway an average of 50 mpg, not going asbove 60mph. I have a friend with the 4x4 Cali and he is in the 30mpg bracket.

Hi I'm Rob and we are hoping to take the plunge in the next year. I have a slightly unusual brief in addition to wanting a Cali that will not only work for regular camping (my office is 250 miles away and I visit for 3 days each month), but it will probably also replace my estate car which has done 170K in 11 years, averaging 65mpg. I know that no Cali (or any other camper) is going to come close but I'm interested in what are the best mpg figures for a Cali. Logic suggests a T5 or T6 in 2WD with 2.0 engine. I also need it to take a double bass which fits and secures very easily in my current octavia. For short journeys I plan to use either electric or my 43yr old beloved 2CV!
Hi Rob. Here is my 2p worth.
T6 150 Dsg Ocean. Daily driver 9600 miles per year . 50% in Cumbria remainder loaded for camping mixed use West Coast Scotland and longer runs to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset

Average just over 32mpg including parking heater usage, always filled brim to brim fueled ie real consumption not estimated from Trip computer/mpg display.

Some low readings (26mpg tank) were during cracked egr pipe (no dash warnings but found due to fumes in engine compartment and cab).

Have heavy right foot as well!!!!

IMG_7603.png

Hi Rob. Here is my 2p worth.
T6 150 Dsg Ocean. Daily driver 9600 miles per year . 50% in Cumbria remainder loaded for camping mixed use West Coast Scotland and longer runs to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset

Average just over 32mpg including parking heater usage, always filled brim to brim fueled ie real consumption not estimated from Trip computer/mpg display.

Some low readings (26mpg tank) were during cracked egr pipe (no dash warnings but found due to fumes in engine compartment and cab).

Have heavy right foot as well!!!!

View attachment 128811
Wow. I have a relatively light right boot. 150PS 6.1

31 MPG over 3k miles. 70-80% motorway.

As I’ve said, feels thirsty!

Vince is a 2017 204 4-motion. Over the last 20,000 miles I have recorded the mileage done and litres used every time I fill up. Result is………drum roll……32.4 mpg.

If a tank of fuel (70l) gets me 450 miles it’s ok. 500 is good, over that is spectacular. Coasting on or off doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Relatively few of my journeys are short. On the motorway we drive at car speeds. Someday on a long motorway journey I will stick to 50-60 mph for a game and suspect that could give me 600 miles to the tankfull.

Vince is a 2017 204 4-motion. Over the last 20,000 miles I have recorded the mileage done and litres used every time I fill up. Result is………drum roll……32.4 mpg.

If a tank of fuel (70l) gets me 450 miles it’s ok. 500 is good, over that is spectacular. Coasting on or off doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Relatively few of my journeys are short. On the motorway we drive at car speeds. Someday on a long motorway journey I will stick to 50-60 mph for a game and suspect that could give me 600 miles to the tankfull.
Does 4-motion really consume that much more than a FWD California?
600 miles for me is going to work and back.
50 - 60mph gives me over 800 miles.
But I only have 215/65/16 tyres.

Having owned SUV 4WD in the past yes it does. The only way to combat it is to have automatic free wheeling hubs fitted to the part time drive wheels but the VW is a permanent 4WD isn't it so instead of one axle and diff you have three diffs and 2 axles and driveshafts all adding to the inefficiencies of the drive system, just be thankful you don't suffer from wind-up and break half shafts as "old fashioned" 4WD did when drive on tarmac in 4WD. The tyres make a small difference but it mostly is the engine turning all the extra weight all of the time.

When calculating...who does it properly off fill up and miles covered? The DIS tells lies and if i believed that i would be high 30's MPG

Haldex system as per my Volvo.....which can do 50mpg.

When calculating...who does it properly off fill up and miles covered? The DIS tells lies and if i believed that i would be high 30's MPG
The Speedometer/Odometer tells lies as well as the difference between old and new tyres.
Comparison between vehicles is pie in the sky there being so many variables.
Comparison on 1 vehicle is useful as it can indicate problems, but between vehicles of no use at all.

totally agree - its all subjective. I know what i get and thats on a brand new engine

2023 204 4Mo Coast DSG. 6.6l/100km (35.6mpg) on latest trip to Austria/Slovenia and that includes some Alpine roads. Just added some STP Ultra fuel additive prior to the trip. No ill effects and mpg is slightly better. Exhaust smells a bit more but I put that down to all the crud thats being burnt off.

Hmmm.. I’m feeling in the mood for an economy remap!!!