Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Bottle

M

mikeringrose

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Members,

I have just bought a new Cali and have spent 5 nights so far in the van.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long the gas bottle will last assuming two meals per day are cooked in the van per day? Oh and plenty of tea is consumed also.

Kind Regards
Mike

The gas bottle has to work a lot harder when using in winter conditions as apposed to summer so it's difficult to gadge
I can get a good idea how much gas is left in the bottle by shaking it, the less sloshing you hear (bare in mind there's minimal sloshing when full) is an indication of what's left in the bottle. It's a crude way of working, but works for me.
Don't forget to take normal precautions when disconnecting the gas bottle !

I only cook about 50 percent of the time, and my brekkie is cold ...

I drink a lot of tea .... loads... My existing gas bottle is now on day 32.

In my first flush of youthful cali innocence my first trips were in Winter, I cooked all the time and boiled loads of water for washing ... me, dishes and clothes. My gas bottle lasted 13 days.

I have since discovered wetwipes, baby wipes, face wipes, dettol disinfectant wipes, britstops in handy pub and restaurant car parks and campsites with washing up facilities. Not only do I use a fraction of the gas but also a fraction of the water.

A cali is not a fixed menu option-type tool, a cali is an evolution of constant discovery :D

Depends so much on how much and what sort of cooking you will do, we have used two this year, and we ways carry a spare on longer trips as 907's are not that easy to find in remote places, we got a spare half full on gumtree for £10.

We picked up spares from car boots about £3 (empty) when away put a full one in for longer trips away 14 days away with cooking every night plus breakfast tea and tea stops some times during the day no issue (took spare 901 never needed)

We boiler water for cupa at least 4 times a week Retirement plus Cali thumbs up, how we use up any part bottles
When looking have found many bottles at car boots or at tip avalible in spring think people have a clear out which seem to be done and dusted by June. Also remember the scew in cap is about £4.50 if your bottle is missing one when you change it for a full one. A rusty bottle has never been a issue when trading in. GAZ just resprays them.

Our lasts ages - we had a small 901 for the first season we had the van. Then we got a 2nd hand partially full 907 in the second season and that is still going strong.

We camp for around 6 weeks per year and use the gas for tea/coffee water and if we are cooking tea then we cook the pasta/spuds/veggies in the van and generally cook the meat/fish outdoors on the BBQ a camping hob (the kids moan if the van smells of cooking :crazy )

We do have a small electric kettle as well for when we are on hookup.

T

Ours also last ages, maybe because when camping we use hook up and use our two ring electric hob.
Last time we changed 907 bottle, i think was at busiest 2013 !!!!!

John

We use an electiv frying pan. After four years of ownership we've also now invested in a small cheap toaster and electric kettle. We camp mostly on hookup, and in 60+ days of camping this year haven't changed the gas. Before electric cooking we reckoned on around 20 days per bottle.