Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas canisters EN417 connection

I say up front that we have a Transporter conversion, so not a bonafide Cali.

Cath uses the internal burners only for 'small stuff' like boiling a kettle for some rice or a cuppa, and a Cadac Safari Chef for everything else. Hence we spec'ed an external gas point under a flap (similar to the EHU) and we carry a gas hose with quick-release connectors for the Cadac. Hose is in 2 sections, a 3m and a 7m so Cadac can be up to 10m from the van. Pressure is fine over those distances and all fed from the normal 907 bottle in the van. No need for additonal regulators.

I've no idea if Cali's are available with external gas points or if such could be retrofitted (if not, I apologies for wasting your time) but the setup is very convenient.

PS: The quick-release connector saves all that fumbling at the Cadac end, but it protrudes a few millimeters. To allow Cadac's legs to fold in for storage, I drilled a 10mm hole into legs 1 and 2.
(Actually, I think I read that trick in another post in this forum - Chapeau and thank you to the author)
My Cadac Safari Chef 2 has the quick release but doesn’t stop the legs folding. I think they fit it as standard on the “QR” version.

Cath uses the internal burners only for 'small stuff' like boiling a kettle for some rice or a cuppa, and a Cadac Safari Chef for everything else. Hence we spec'ed an external gas point under a flap (similar to the EHU) and we carry a gas hose with quick-release connectors for the Cadac. Hose is in 2 sections, a 3m and a 7m so Cadac can be up to 10m from the van. Pressure is fine over those distances and all fed from the normal 907 bottle in the van. No need for additonal regulators.

I've no idea if Cali's are available with external gas points or if such could be retrofitted (if not, I apologies for wasting your time) but the setup is very convenient.

PS: The quick-release connector saves all that fumbling at the Cadac end, but it protrudes a few millimeters. To allow Cadac's legs to fold in for storage, I drilled a 10mm hole into legs 1 and 2.
(Actually, I think I read that trick in another post in this forum - Chapeau and thank you to the author)
I did toy with this idea but I came to the conclusion, a coil of 10m of gas hose takes up a similar amount of storage space to a small additional gas bottle.

That said I do like the idea. :thumb

The problem in the California is the 907 gas locker is surrounded by the water tank, literally surrounded. The only other point to fit a T is the gas pipe from locker to kitchen which would mean some major dismantling work of the kitchen/wardrobe units to get at. Not impossible, but not easy .