Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Connection Adaptation

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Has anyone adapted there existing gas supply pipe work to accommodate an external outlet for connecting a Cadec bbq.
Any views welcome positive or negative. ie running off the existing 907.

Thanks in advance

Has anyone adapted there existing gas supply pipe work to accommodate an external outlet for connecting a Cadec bbq.

Thanks in advance
We have a quick release system for our Cadac. When camping we use 907 butane, at home we use much cheaper propane. Switching between the two is trivial. I expect it would be an equally simple matter to use domestic gas, the hardest bit would be to run an external outlet and make it child fiddle proof.

Thanks in advance

I have bought a t-joint and another quick release but mulling over where and how to run it.
Have you found a solution yet?

Thanks in advance
To do that you would have to access the existing gas pipeline. Without dismantling the kitchen/wardrobe unit you could only access the pipe in the Gas container, within the water tank, or within the L Kitchen cupboard.
If you did it within the Gas Locker of the water tank then it would no longer be sealed properly.
If you used the L Kitchen cupboard then the output would be on the L/Nearside of the vehicle.
I think using a separate 907 or 904 cylinder to be used as a spare or to run a barbecue would be a more cost effective solution.

Notwithstanding comments above --- there's an infinite supply of various adapters, connectors, splitters available on the internet:

for example: https://gasproducts.co.uk/

I saw a video (think it was posted here) of a swiss couple who had adapted a van (think slightly bigger than the transporter) for a trip from Alaska to Cape Horn or similar. They had an external port for gas supplies for exernal cooking etc.

So it can be done.

I shudder to think the expense of that van though

Of course it must be possible to add an external outlet if you want to go to such expense and trouble. I have to agree with earlier comment though. Much easier to keep a spare bottle which can replace the van bottle which runs out halfway through cooking. In addition a fixed outlet is just that, fixed, perhaps on the windy or shaded side of the van. A portable bottle can be positioned to suit the circumstances, even on the beach 100 yards away.

Notwithstanding comments above --- there's an infinite supply of various adapters, connectors, splitters available on the internet:

for example: https://gasproducts.co.uk/

I saw a video (think it was posted here) of a swiss couple who had adapted a van (think slightly bigger than the transporter) for a trip from Alaska to Cape Horn or similar. They had an external port for gas supplies for exernal cooking etc.

So it can be done.

I shudder to think the expense of that van though
On a Conversion, easily done but on a California not so. It's possible, expensive and would void certain Warranty sections.

I think someone on here was gonna T off of the gas regulator but realised that
the length of pipe needed would take up nearly the same space as carrying
an extra bottle.

How about adapting the van to have an underslung propex cylinder?

Quite common on conversions.

Then there would be space freed up in the van and a shorter length of extra outside gas hose needed

probably cost about £1000

Well thanks for all your suggestions, I really wanted to run it beside the external shower hose connector for a neat installation re a quick fit connector somehow teed off the existing gas pipe works.

Not sure it’s going to work that way, space is a premium as it is so do not wish to carry a spare 907.

Thanks

Well thanks for all your suggestions, I really wanted to run it beside the external shower hose connector for a neat installation re a quick fit connector somehow teed off the existing gas pipe works.

Not sure it’s going to work that way, space is a premium as it is so do not wish to carry a spare 907.

Thanks
Eminently possible.
Part 1 is the main gas pipe.

4B58870D-5886-451F-AA14-4941CEA78A87.png

But you may have to remove a substantial part of the Wardrobe/Kitchen to gain access.

91FAF852-BBFC-4CB7-995F-D0158142333E.png

Back