Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas drop out vent in Beach pod

If the pod didn't have a hob on it say just a sink would you be informing your insurers?

If the you then used one of these on top of that pod would you tell your insurers?gas stove.jpg
Whats the difference between that & whats being proposed with a none permanently fixed pod?

If it is insured as a camper the insurance company should expect camping equipment to be carried. If you carried a gas BBQ in the boot of your car & it leaked & caused a fire you would expect an insurance payout, & I would bet you wouldn't ring your insurance company to tell them you were carrying it beforehand. A removable pod is no different.

The regulations are clear that the installation needs to be done by a competent person, only you will know if you are competent enough. If I was doing the installation myself I would be quite happy doing it & then taking it to a local caravan place for one of their gas guys to do a safety check, if only to have a second opinion.

My only concern would be the storage of the gas cylinder & I would go for a gas sealed box fitted securely in the pod with a permanent supply pipe feeding between the hob & box. Inside the box there should be securing straps to keep the bottle upright, a regulator & tap as fitted to the SE and I would then use a quick release bayonet between the regulator and the permanent pipework. Depending on anticipated usage I would prefer a lot smaller bottle than the 907 - Perhaps the camping gas 901 plus a spare in the same locker.

Back