Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas leak

Michael Minta

Michael Minta

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all
Last time We were away we smelt gas and so before I go away next weekend I thought I’d see what the problem is. ahoweever I’m notnentire,y sure how to work it out. The canister is party full and the connect points it didn’t leak. However when I connected the regulator and tuned it on, it was clear we have leak...but how to identify the exact issue please and who to go to?

Thanks in anticipation.image.jpg

Thanks. Just tried that but showed absolutely nothing!

just wondering I’d the regulator is faulty in some way....

If there is a leak the water and washing up liquid method will eventually show it. The smell of gas will always linger a long time after you have replaced a bottle or valve..
Thanks. I’ll give it another go...unfortunately it was getting stronger as time went on...

Thinking the regulator is missing an o ring. Does anyone know the size I’d need please...?

Thinking the regulator is missing an o ring. Does anyone know the size I’d need please...?
Did you test the regulator with your soapy water? If it’s leaking you would have seen it bubble up straight away. Ensure your Gaz bottle valve is open before you test it and have all doors open.

Did you test the regulator with your soapy water? If it’s leaking you would have seen it bubble up straight away. Ensure your Gaz bottle valve is open before you test it and have all doors open.
I did...and saw nothing. Will try again I think but also wondering if the regulator is missing an o ring...

Nope not the canister once connected! Back to square one!

Michael,

Don't know how old your van is, but after ten years the regulator should be changed for a new one.
BTW even a brand new regulator can leak, as I experienced this spring after changing the thing.

Other places to look for a leak:
is the regulator tight enough connected to the bottle itself (test it by closing the black knob);
test the underside of the regulator with soap;
does the little yellow knob leak;
is the hose punched anywhere;
try soap at the other end of the hose (in the plastic wall);
go to a dealer or camping shop and try/buy another regulator.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

If you follow the rules you need to change the rubber seal when changing the botlle , the rubber seal does wear .
And overtighning can cause leakage as you damage the rubber seal.

You might be interested in having a read of these two threads for some alternative ideas for regulators?

Michael,

Don't know how old your van is, but after ten years the regulator should be changed for a new one.
BTW even a brand new regulator can leak, as I experienced this spring after changing the thing.

Other places to look for a leak:
is the regulator tight enough connected to the bottle itself (test it by closing the black knob);
test the underside of the regulator with soap;
does the little yellow knob leak;
is the hose punched anywhere;
try soap at the other end of the hose (in the plastic wall);
go to a dealer or camping shop and try/buy another regulator.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Thank you, very helpful...it is indeed 10 years old this year. The soap test didn’t show any other leaks so will try the replacement idea. Thanks

If you follow the rules you need to change the rubber seal when changing the botlle , the rubber seal does wear .
And overtighning can cause leakage as you damage the rubber seal.
Ah, that’s interesting, thank you . I bought the van in January so just put my Own bottle in...so I assume changing the regulator sorts this out Too?

You might be interested in having a read of these two threads for some alternative ideas for regulators?

Thank you, will do that now.

So we have been smelling gas since being away since Friday. We have put some washing up liquid and water on and found the leak. Found a black washer in the bottom of the gas bottle holder. Have put this on and unless it’s so so tight it still leaks. The flow into the van at the cooker is producing minimal flame too. There does sound to be gas in the bottle (I’ve shaken it). Do I seem to be missing anything here? Any suggestions welcome. I’m thinking the low flame at the cooker isn’t due to lack of gas as when I shake the bottle I can hear it. Help - we need a cup of tea!!! The bubbles were coming from the screw on part.

31B05EF6-9F8C-4A70-9E75-68F173833571.jpeg

871D5E1A-53A7-4C0D-84CD-921C435CFE0B.jpeg

7BBA74EE-97A7-432F-8DD1-280654A08C9A.jpeg

I don’t think you can get replacement washers for the leaking cylinder tap, so I would replace the tap (I got one from club shop).
Have you checked that the shut off valve under the work top is fully open?

I don’t think you can get replacement washers for the leaking cylinder tap, so I would replace the tap (I got one from club shop).
Have you checked that the shut off valve under the work top is fully open?
By fully open you mean in line with the pipes. It is - it’s either on or off is that right?

By fully open you mean in line with the pipes. It is - it’s either on or off is that right?
Yep, in line with pipe = open.
As a test to see if the leaky washer is related to poor flame, you could try a temporary seal using PTF tape to pack out the washer seal, but only as a test.
As others have said, the regulator could be worth changing.
You are happy that the cylinder has plenty of gas in it? The flame does weaken as the cylinder gets low.