Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gaslow fitted to GC 680

I looked into this whilst waiting for delivery of a Ducato conversion. The conclusion I came to is based on the increasing difficulty to find LPG pumps on UK petrol station forecourts, not a European problem I should add. Whilst it isn't impossible to find it can sometimes be tricky by all accounts (Motorhomefun threads provided the info). I can understand that a lot of people will have access to LPG at the end of their road but not everyone does. I therefore felt the best solution for me was a hybrid solution. I planned to have an underslung 25lt LPG torpedo tank and retain the standard tanks. i.e Calor etc. A switch can be installed, so I was told, that enables you to draw LPG off either the underslung tank or the Calor bottle. I felt the advantage of this was that I'd have a reduced risk of being totally reliant on finding LPG as I'd have the bottles as well. If visiting Europe the 25lt tank would be sufficient and you could use the Calor bottle cupboard for additional storage for example. If you have the torpedo the infill valve is located under the van so you don't have to cut into it. Finally I should add that I handed the van after 50 miles so I never had the work carried out. The Ducato conversion I have on order has diesel heating for blown air and water heating and a 907 for cooking which should work perfectly for us once we get the van.

I looked into this whilst waiting for delivery of a Ducato conversion. The conclusion I came to is based on the increasing difficulty to find LPG pumps on UK petrol station forecourts, not a European problem I should add. Whilst it isn't impossible to find it can sometimes be tricky by all accounts (Motorhomefun threads provided the info). I can understand that a lot of people will have access to LPG at the end of their road but not everyone does. I therefore felt the best solution for me was a hybrid solution. I planned to have an underslung 25lt LPG torpedo tank and retain the standard tanks. i.e Calor etc. A switch can be installed, so I was told, that enables you to draw LPG off either the underslung tank or the Calor bottle. I felt the advantage of this was that I'd have a reduced risk of being totally reliant on finding LPG as I'd have the bottles as well. If visiting Europe the 25lt tank would be sufficient and you could use the Calor bottle cupboard for additional storage for example. If you have the torpedo the infill valve is located under the van so you don't have to cut into it. Finally I should add that I handed the van after 50 miles so I never had the work carried out. The Ducato conversion I have on order has diesel heating for blown air and water heating and a 907 for cooking which should work perfectly for us once we get the van.
Looks like a nice solution I appreciate that it does look on the face things that LPG can difficult to obtain however I read and have heard that they are making changes to LPG so it becomes greener and their locations will be more accessible. Anyway I’ll wait to see.

The reason I had LPG fitted was the accessibility in Europe as I’m going to be touring Europe a lot for extended periods over the next few years and LPG is readily available in most garages at around £0.70 per litre.

Hi Alun,

Yes no problem with fitting a spare wheel to the GC 600/680 it’s the spec from a crafter believe it’s a 16” wheel with a tyre that takes up the correct rolling circumstance of a 17” wheel.

I have gas electric heating. Both work really well, the gas is more efficient on heat. The Tuma combi was designed around diesel/gas.

Will
Hi Will, we are encountered a bit of a block when asking Eurovans to fit the spare and bracket etc., do you mind telling us which dealer you used - we can have a trip away and pop it in to be done there? Also, we have looked at insurance, LV looking good with a separate GAP policy from ALA - I wondered if you had any tips on that front? Hopefully we will have the van by the 3rd week in March.

Alun

Hi Will, we are encountered a bit of a block when asking Eurovans to fit the spare and bracket etc., do you mind telling us which dealer you used - we can have a trip away and pop it in to be done there? Also, we have looked at insurance, LV looking good with a separate GAP policy from ALA - I wondered if you had any tips on that front? Hopefully we will have the van by the 3rd week in March.

Alun
Hi Alun,

Can’t see why re the spare and carrier, unless it’s weight, is your GC a 3500kg. Nevertheless they are a bog standard Crafter fitment. This was fitted via my Dealer Breeze in Poole. If it is weight the supplying dealer might be reluctant to fit for that reason

Not sure on your location but I have LV insurance + £315 including 12 months old for new.

Well not long now. Hope you’ve booked you sites as they are filling fast.

Hopefully that’s of some help.

Will

Hi Alun,

Can’t see why re the spare and carrier, unless it’s weight, is your GC a 3500kg. Nevertheless they are a bog standard Crafter fitment. This was fitted via my Dealer Breeze in Poole. If it is weight the supplying dealer might be reluctant to fit for that reason

Not sure on your location but I have LV insurance + £315 including 12 months old for new.

Well not long now. Hope you’ve booked you sites as they are filling fast.

Hopefully that’s of some help.

Will
Hi Will, it can’t be weight as we went for the 3.88t, as we have the awning, satellite and roof air con. I sent them a YouTube video and was quite clear showing the operation of the wheel carrier, but comms haven’t been their strong point!

My LV comes out at £340 against Comfort at £500+… £470 for a 4 year GAP policy.

Sites are indeed getting booked, we have 4 trips booked so far, we also like the look of Concierge in Dorset, so a hop to Poole would fit with that.

Have you seen the app, ‘Search for sites’, £6 a year on multiple devices, and it is excellent in locating the cross section of camping opportunities.

Alun

Hi Will, it can’t be weight as we went for the 3.88t, as we have the awning, satellite and roof air con. I sent them a YouTube video and was quite clear showing the operation of the wheel carrier, but comms haven’t been their strong point!

My LV comes out at £340 against Comfort at £500+… £470 for a 4 year GAP policy.

Sites are indeed getting booked, we have 4 trips booked so far, we also like the look of Concierge in Dorset, so a hop to Poole would fit with that.

Have you seen the app, ‘Search for sites’, £6 a year on multiple devices, and it is excellent in locating the cross section of camping opportunities.

Alun
[

Alun good call on the 3.88. So no problem there. Sure Breeze will sort you out as their Tec, Tim fitted mine. Re Concierge in Dorset, is that a hotel or campsite? I’ll look into that app in a moment.
Also a good quote from LV.

Will

I was told by Poole that they need my vin before quoting me for the spare wheel and carrier, so waiting for that info, which I thought a little odd but guess they need it to find the correct parts on the system.

I was told by Poole that they need my vin before quoting me for the spare wheel and carrier, so waiting for that info, which I thought a little odd but guess they need it to find the correct parts on the system.
Hi MR T your right as it will not come upas an option for the GC as it’s not an option. So request they just look under the Crafter specification.

Thanks Will, if Eurovans fail It will be a trip to Tim in Poole then. I made an error on the LV quote, it is £297, I omitted the legal etc. as I have a separate policy.

Concierge is in Sussex my dear wife has pointed out, https://www.conciergecamping.co.uk/

I am impressed by their automated toilet cassette emptying machine!

Enjoy Search for Sites.

Alun

Thanks Will, if Eurovans fail It will be a trip to Tim in Poole then. I made an error on the LV quote, it is £297, I omitted the legal etc. as I have a separate policy.

Concierge is in Sussex my dear wife has pointed out, https://www.conciergecamping.co.uk/

I am impressed by their automated toilet cassette emptying machine!

Enjoy Search for Sites.

Alun

Alun,
Wow snazzy site seems fully booked for Fridays and Saturdays. Search for Site looks great I’m interested and will install.thanks for the advice on that.

Will

Back