Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GB number plates

E

Easternoceans

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All. We have got GB plates, which are no longer valid in France. Will a UK sticker with GB plates be allowed or do we need to change to UK plates? Many thanks for your help.

I just put a bit of tape over the GB part on the number plate and bought a UK magnetic sign for the back.

Not even worth thinking about.

Hi All. We have got GB plates, which are no longer valid in France. Will a UK sticker with GB plates be allowed or do we need to change to UK plates? Many thanks for your help.
GB is now meaningless, it matters not if it is on or off the car. As long as you have a UK sticker you will be legal.

GB is now meaningless, it matters not if it is on or off the car. As long as you have a UK sticker you will be legal.
... and one step further on the United Nations' agenda. But I do wonder why UK replacing GB badges had anything to do with them.

... and one step further on the United Nations' agenda. But I do wonder why UK replacing GB badges had anything to do with them.
It was done because GB does not include Northern Ireland whereas UK does

E-bay sell UK stickers to put on your number plate to cover the GB one. If going to Spain you will also need a UK oval plate.

E-bay sell UK stickers to put on your number plate to cover the GB one. If going to Spain you will also need a GB oval plate.
You mean If going to Spain you will need a UK oval plate!

Thanks everyone. One step closer to making it into the continent!

I know, my point was that we were 'required' to change by the UN. NI were fine with their own badge. Why make everyone change?

Our beloved UK government forced this change on us. Alleged to better include Northern Ireland.

I know, my point was that we were 'required' to change by the UN. NI were fine with their own badge. Why make everyone change?
Country codes are regulated by international law. The Uk sticker on your van has legal recognition across the world. That means that laws, treaties and conventions are involved. In this case The Vienna Convention 1977, registry of which is maintained by the UN

The reason why we changed from GB was solely because Johnson wanted it changed. That change had to be registered with the UN.

Why make everyone change? Johnson probably disliked seeing the EU flag on British cars number plates with GB.

Honestly, I don't believe the police in continental countries give a monkeys whether you have GB or UK on your number plates or stickers. It's all a bit of British-generated nonsense.

As said above, just pop a magnetic UK oval sticker on the back and you'll be absolutely fine.

Country codes are regulated by international law. The Uk sticker on your van has legal recognition across the world. That means that laws, treaties and conventions are involved. In this case The Vienna Convention 1977, registry of which is maintained by the UN

The reason why we changed from GB was solely because Johnson wanted it changed. That change had to be registered with the UN.

Why make everyone change? Johnson probably disliked seeing the EU flag on British cars number plates with GB.

I could not understand why. That does seem a possible explanation.

Yes UK sticker with a Union Flag stuck on top of the GB is OK.

Mine has EU GB covered by a GB Union Flag covered by the latest UK version,
Next option new plates.

For what's it's worth, I bought small GB EC stickers to put on the end of my plain number plates. (On a point of principle). I have driven thousands of km in France with it never being queried. I think the French authorities have more on their plates at the moment.

For what's it's worth, I bought small GB EC stickers to put on the end of my plain number plates. (On a point of principle). I have driven thousands of km in France with it never being queried. I think the French authorities have more on their plates at the moment.
Did you mean to say UK EC stickers?

Not even worth thinking about.

The UK govt. site is really clear on what you should do.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to alternatives as at somepoint they will crack down.

Back