Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC WiFi Router Connection Issue.

That is a significant difference, which can be a game changer in some situations. I will be looking to have RUTX50 installed as soon as possible.

Mobile hotspots have the same limitations as phones - small on board antennas. You will find the really big uptick in performance of a fixed router vs phone or MiFi is the antennas. As an example on my old Teltonika TCR100 setup with 2 cellular antennas in the roofspace I would often get workable (10mbs) speeds when my iPhone had no signal at all. Just fitted the RUTX50 with its 7 antennas ( 4 x cellular, 2 x WiFi, 1x GPS) in the roof space and my totally unscientific test at the bottom of my garden was - iPhone 3mbs, old TCR100 setup 16mbs, new RUTX50 134mbs!
Hi Gordon,
Sorry to ask, do you have any photos of the power connection into your RUTX50 and antenna positions and fixing.

Thanks Gordon.

View attachment IMG_1390.jpegPicture is the RUTX50 under the driver seat. Haven’t got round to mounting it, although I never mounted the original TCR100 and it wasn’t an issue, once the seat base trim is clipped back on it’s out of sight out of mind ! It uses the factory router power wiring as did my original router and I posted a how-to on the FB group with some details, reposted here for completeness. I have gone one step further than that original schema now and use a separate relay to switch power to the router, the coil of which is a diode OR of the on/off signal from the control panel and the on/off signal from the mains hookup battery charger that gives 12V when the van is plugged in to EHU so my WiFi comes on automatically when on EHU or can be switched on via the control panel as normal. The 4 cellular antennas are all mounted in the roof space using 3D tape on small mounting pieces stuck to the GFRP that the antennas are then cable tied to. I’ve spaced them either side of the van in a quadrangle type arrangement. The WiFi antennas of which there are two are one each side, those have magnetic bases so I stuck some magnets on the GFRP each side of the van one above the sliding door the other above the dinette window and the WiFi antennas stick to those. The GPS antenna comes with 3M on its base so I just stuck that on the GFRP above the door. All are behind the ceiling trim so invisible, high in the roof space beyond the metalwork of the van. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures, not sure they would show much I I worked through the small gaps you get when you pull the ceiling trim away around the skylight. You need suitable 5M extension cables for the cellular antennas & 3M for the WiFi. GPS one has enough cable to reach into the roof void.

Attachments

• WiFiRouter.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
That is a significant difference, which can be a game changer in some situations. I will be looking to have RUTX50 installed as soon as possible.
It’s a huge difference but I am tempering my early excitement until I have more experience with it in the wild. My TCR100 setup was generally excellent and I only saw issues at times of high demand on the local mast, trying to watch England during the euros highlighted its weaknesses this year. So raw speed is not the goal, adequate performance in more challenging environments is, especially large gatherings like festivals or busy campsites when there is high pressure on the cellular network. The new Starlink mini would tick all the boxes, just can’t justify the monthly cost for how we use it, we are retired so it’s only for the occasional TV/sports event and internet browsing & WiFi calling. I’m hoping Starlink come out with a sort of 100GB for £100 valid for 12/24 months type plan then I’d go for it to use where the cellular or campsite WiFi doesn’t cut it. In the mean time I’m hoping the RUTX50 delivers to our needs.

View attachment 127646Picture is the RUTX50 under the driver seat. Haven’t got round to mounting it, although I never mounted the original TCR100 and it wasn’t an issue, once the seat base trim is clipped back on it’s out of sight out of mind ! It uses the factory router power wiring as did my original router and I posted a how-to on the FB group with some details, reposted here for completeness. I have gone one step further than that original schema now and use a separate relay to switch power to the router, the coil of which is a diode OR of the on/off signal from the control panel and the on/off signal from the mains hookup battery charger that gives 12V when the van is plugged in to EHU so my WiFi comes on automatically when on EHU or can be switched on via the control panel as normal. The 4 cellular antennas are all mounted in the roof space using 3D tape on small mounting pieces stuck to the GFRP that the antennas are then cable tied to. I’ve spaced them either side of the van in a quadrangle type arrangement. The WiFi antennas of which there are two are one each side, those have magnetic bases so I stuck some magnets on the GFRP each side of the van one above the sliding door the other above the dinette window and the WiFi antennas stick to those. The GPS antenna comes with 3M on its base so I just stuck that on the GFRP above the door. All are behind the ceiling trim so invisible, high in the roof space beyond the metalwork of the van. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures, not sure they would show much I I worked through the small gaps you get when you pull the ceiling trim away around the skylight. You need suitable 5M extension cables for the cellular antennas & 3M for the WiFi. GPS one has enough cable to reach into the roof void.
Gordon, once again, thank you for your hard and descriptive work, I think you have shared enough information for me to start this work in December. Thanks again.

You could try this:

The aerial is a permanent installation, and the reviews are good, my new camper has it but I haven't tried it yet.

Back