Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Germany / Austria alps

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We're planning heading down that way start of September for 2 weeks, thinking about innsbruck, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, zugspitze and achensee areas. My only concern is with regards to weather, if it turns out to be a bit ropey as is quite possible I suppose, are there any areas down there where the weather is generally better.
It would be nice to know if there was anywhere we could retreat to if the weather really did set in.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

In the Alpes or any other high mountain area it all depends on beeing on the side of the mountiantop where there are no clouds , if it starts raining and the clouds don't go as high to pass the mountain it can rain for day's.
If the weathers turns good there's no better place to be ....
Alltough from september on less chance for realy nice weather and the days are shortning fast...but the most summertourists are off and all is nice and quiet!
You will have a great trip!

Cheers.
One of the sites I've been looking at is camping tiroler zugspitze who claim to be "on the sunny side of the zugspitze" if there is such a thing!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

We spent ten days here two years ago , our first big trip with the new Cali back then.
http://www.camping-oetztal.com/en/welcome.html

Nice campsite , great swimpool/sauna facility nearby , great to walk , lifts take you up to 3000m , amazing views,....

That looks a nice site reasonable price too. Cheers.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

You could consider taking the German Alpine Road.

September can be beautiful in the Alps. If you are in luck with the weather, the air can be extremely clear by then, more so than in summer, and you will have great views!. If it rains your side of the mountains, well...: cross over to the other side!

We had a brief stop here at the end of July - http://www.landhauswalch.at/en/camping.html

It is quite a bit west of Innsbrooke. Not full in the summer, so I guess you could just turn up.

Probably the cleanest toilets and shower block of any campsite ever!

Small village with a couple of restaurants and a shop, but a small drive upto Bludenz which is a proper town.

Classic Austria scenery - in a valley between two rows of mountains.

We had one good day and one rainy day - and this was in peak summer. The weather improved dramarically as soon as we headed to Switzerland.