Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting closer...

Octobus

Octobus

Cali on order
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We have been deliberating for around 6 months over the purchase of a Cali and have changed our minds several times over Beach / Ocean. Having recently hired an SE we have finally concluded that we don't actually need the sink, hob and storage (we intend to keep and tow our camping trailer). Part of our thinking is that the Cali Beach (with a heater) will extend our camping season into the Autumn and perhaps even the Winter and so I would be interested to have views on camping in a Cali beach over the colder months, but also I would like some feedback please on the time it takes to make up the 3 seater bench into a bed and the relative ease (or perhaps not as the case may be) of removing the additional optional seats.
Many thanks in advance for any help offered. I have found this forum to be hugely informative so far..

Welcome , a Cali towing a caravan you do not see that often but it does opens diffrent options indeed .
As long you are enjoying it all makes sense....

Me - 3 seat beach ...... rock and roll lower bed is pretty much the same for all the californias - so fairly simple and quick to set up. The only issue is getting the multiflex board clear of luggage / stuff as this forms part of the bed. We use the upstairs in all weather / temperatures without a cosy or a cover - the heater is fine, but we do use a big feather duvet which is bulky but for us manageable. In the summer we will have two teenagers along - all packed up for three weeks in Italy - and this will present new challenges.

Mine is a 2-seat bench Beach.

Bed itself takes 10-seconds to pull the bench forward & then flatten down. As Cali Fate says above, the only thing about my new Beach that's "not as good" is the lack of storage for stuff that was being kept on the MultiFlex board behind the bench at the back during the day - I'm trying to train myself that space is really part of the bed, not storage space!

- My old van had four boards as the upstairs bed base which doubled-up as huge shelves as needed. Another poster here has made a big board for storage above the front seats - search How We Dressed Betsy or similar, very clever mods.

- I prefer to sleep downstairs & I found my previous T5 conversion was amazingly warmer in the van camping in low temperatures if you pulled the pop top down (not necessarily latched / secured) at bed time as that big fabric tent lets all your precious heat leak out.

- I use reflective silver / fabric padded blinds that stick to the windows with suckers, they really help retain heat & block out external light and sound surprisingly well.