Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glenridding and Helvellyn

Tom

Good luck,

I so admire what you do with Ben :)

Striding edge is a grippy commitment,

Crib Goch though is in a different league, Tryfan yes, Crib Goch, think it through Tom, talk to Penny, I would rate it with Jakes Rake on Pavey Ark for one of the most visited places by MRT's pulling off crag fast father and son teams xxxxx

Useful intel. Thanks.

So plan amended again.

Friday night at Tebay (I hope it won’t be full at 8pm!)

Based on the last few Fridays travelling North from London 8pm may be optimistic! The Friday / weekend traffic has just gone totally mad.

From what Ive seen the M1 is now worse than pre lockdown days. Theres a long set of roadworks from about J13 of the M1 all the way up past Northampton.

Its about 300 miles for you isn't it? it took us about 7 1/2 hours to get as far as the Kendle junction last week & we are an hour to hour and a half North of you.

Id be going to bed at 2.15pm and getting up at midnight to drive up there.

Long shot: I learned to sail at the sailing club 40 years ago! They were very friendly and may be open to you parking on their site behind the hotel, particularly if you hire a boat/have a lesson with them
So did I, 40 years ago, big fella with a beard ran it I seem to remember

Based on the last few Fridays travelling North from London 8pm may be optimistic! The Friday / weekend traffic has just gone totally mad.

From what Ive seen the M1 is now worse than pre lockdown days. Theres a long set of roadworks from about J13 of the M1 all the way up past Northampton.

Its about 300 miles for you isn't it? it took us about 7 1/2 hours to get as far as the Kendle junction last week & we are an hour to hour and a half North of you.

Id be going to bed at 2.15pm and getting up at midnight to drive up there.

We will miss both the M25 and M1.

Our route would be:
Blackwall Tunnel
A12
M11
A14
M6
M6 toll
M6

Now the A14 congestion around Huntingdon is sorted, the only area I expect delays would be from the end of the M6 toll to Manchester, and even there I would hope the traffic would keep rolling reasonably well.

Tom

Good luck,

I so admire what you do with Ben :)

Striding edge is a grippy commitment,

Crib Goch though is in a different league, Tryfan yes, Crib Goch, think it through Tom, talk to Penny, I would rate it with Jakes Rake on Pavey Ark for one of the most visited places by MRT's pulling off crag fast father and son teams xxxxx

I’ve only been over Crib Goch once, and found it pretty trivial, but that was after Anoch Eagach twice (including winter); Carn Mor Dearg Arête; Lord Berkeley's Seat; and pulling a friend with a dislocated shoulder off the Horns of Ben Alligin.

I’ll take your advice GJ and hold back on Crib Goch for a later year.

I have a friend who owes me about 10,000 favours who happens to be a qualified mountain guide. Perhaps he’d join us over Crib Goch one day in the future.

Good luck with the M11

If you are going up as far as the A14 you would be mad to cut across country, go up the A1 to Scotch Corner, rather than hitting Birmingham & Manchester at the worst time in the afternoon.

Good luck with the M11

If you are going up as far as the A14 you would be mad to cut across country, go up the A1 to Scotch Corner, rather than hitting Birmingham & Manchester at the worst time in the afternoon.
Totally agree, go Scotch Corner way

I’ve only been over Crib Goch once, and found it pretty trivial, but that was after Anoch Eagach twice (including winter); Carn Mor Dearg Arête; Lord Berkeley's Seat; and pulling a friend with a dislocated shoulder off the Horns of Ben Alligin.

I’ll take your advice GJ and hold back on Crib Goch for a later year.

I have a friend who owes me about 10,000 favours who happens to be a qualified mountain guide. Perhaps he’d join us over Crib Goch one day in the future.

Or,

Pack a rope, waist belt and a few Krabs.

The traditional way to pull people of ridges is to allow them to crab below the ridge facing in, if not too loose. I recall seeing Snowdon MRT using the same technique on CG.

Or,

The traditional way to pull people of ridges is to allow them to crab below the ridge facing in, if not too loose. I recall seeing Snowdon MRT using the same technique on CG.
If I was taking my nine year old boy along CG I would be considering short roping him, especially if there were lots of numpties in their white trainers. I have seen 2 groups helicoptered off CG and personally helped someone when I was doing my Welsh 14 peaks run. It's a cracking ridge but you need to pick your moment.

Useful intel. Thanks.

So plan amended again.

Friday night at Tebay (I hope it won’t be full at 8pm!)

6.30am Saturday, quick breakfast, then Glenridding Car Park

7.30am Helvellyn Horseshoe (Striding Edge, Swirral Edge)

3pm Try to bag a spot at Rayrigg.

Sunday Maybe High Street

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I had no idea the Lake District would be so busy during a term time weekend. Thanks especially for the PM detailing discreet wild camping spots in the quieter Shap area of the Lakes and the PM offering a driveway space just to the south of the Lake District.
Early Saturday drive to Glenridding and breakfast there maybe a good idea?
Over the last week our local news has been showing video footage of totally rammed cars in the Lakes with some of the most inconsiderate ridiculous unsafe parking imaginable.

Or,

I only have very basic rope skills and climbing experience: I’ve mostly relied on others, and all my climbing has been with a top rope which someone else has fixed.

Short roping I could easily do, and I often carry a 30m walking rope which has been used a few times to give confidence for river crossings and to help my friend back down from the Horns to the Horns by-pass path.

I usually stay behind Hartsop in the car park next to Hayeswater Gill. A nice walk into town from there or start up Grizedale. Be descreet.

Good luck with the M11

I’ve been via Scotch Corner before and it’s a more interesting way to go. We could also overnight at Scotch Corner. It would be a 90 minute drive from there to Glenridding, but I expect it would be pretty quiet at 6am on a Saturday morning.

So plan E mark ii
Check traffic from A14/A1 junction.

E(ii)a A14/M6 to Tebay
E(ii)b A1 to Scotch Corner

Plan to arrive at Glenridding car park by 7.30am on Saturday to be sure of a space.

Patterdale Cricket club had a good car park running last weekend. £5 for the day.

Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?
It is the other side of the mountain but, if you have not already tried them, it might be worth calling http://www.stybeckfarm.co.uk/ . It is a CMHC certified location, but they seem to fit several others on site too. Pleasant location, nice people. On-site toilet and shower. Hook-up points. Pub within walking distance. Only drawback is the donkey - if it wakes up in the early hours! We were there in April and did a circular walk including the Helvellyn summit and the spectacular view over Striding Edge and the Glenridding valley. That side was crowded - there were about 80 people on top of the mountain, that summery day, but far fewer on the Thirlmere slopes.

Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?
Try Castlerigg Farm campsite at Keswick. Great little spot on one of the few sites you can still turn up and get in usually. Not too far from Glenridding or you could always go up Helvelyn from Thirlmere side from Swirls car park.

Penny has just stood down as team leader for central Beacons MR. I think she has joined the trustees. I reckon she’d also be up for coming with us over CG.

count me in as well, one of my favourite spots on the whole planet.

Good luck with the M11

The top of the M11/A14 can get pretty busy late afternoon so chose your time carefully and definitely avoid M6 and simply keep North using A1 - big advantage of this is there are more options to get off if any accidents etc as lots of smaller less used side roads - use this route loads from Wymondham. M6 would be horrendous. From where we live near Wymondham in mid-Norfolk we say 2 hrs to Newark 2 hours to Scotch Corner and 2 hours to Egremont on coast (or for us normally 2 hours to Gretna :) ) From Scotch corner if traffic is ok you'll get to Ullswater hour and half. Done the Lakes hundreds of times and have expedition certificate which was completed by Striding Edge in the dark with a mist and full pack on back - brown trousers job but now done all the fells. I agree Tryfan best before Crib Goch and the Gliders...................

The top of the M11/A14 can get pretty busy late afternoon so chose your time carefully and definitely avoid M6 and simply keep North using A1 - big advantage of this is there are more options to get off if any accidents etc as lots of smaller less used side roads - use this route loads from Wymondham. M6 would be horrendous. From where we live near Wymondham in mid-Norfolk we say 2 hrs to Newark 2 hours to Scotch Corner and 2 hours to Egremont on coast (or for us normally 2 hours to Gretna :) ) From Scotch corner if traffic is ok you'll get to Ullswater hour and half. Done the Lakes hundreds of times and have expedition certificate which was completed by Striding Edge in the dark with a mist and full pack on back - brown trousers job but now done all the fells. I agree Tryfan best before Crib Goch and the Gliders...................
Tryfan, February 2004

1623160061072.png

Try kirkstone pass inn car park or the lake shore lay-bys on ullswater if no campsites available. There are plenty of others doing so in campervans and motor homes at the moment so I reckon you will be ok. There are a few other places even more discreet around that area to stop for a night. If you approach helvellyn from the thirlmere side then there are more options

Fantastic - Love to do that in snow - I did that mountain several years ago in horrible weather. One of our part was a really hardy paramedic (we're all first-aiders) and we got half way up to the small plateau and he looked terrible. He asked if that was it but we pointed up and he threw all his toys out the pram and said if you think I'm going up that ******....******** you've got another thing coming - we calmed him down and roped him up and up we meant - would you believe when we got to the top all he wanted to do was jump the two slabs!!!! We'd come up from A5 and then took him across to the Glyder cantilever stone - totally different person then.

The dynamic risk assessment continues..

Conditions yesterday on the Striding Edge traverse were very good, exceptionally dry underfoot and a lot of traffic from MIC led pairs to 'chancers and the hopeful' safely arriving at the summit. The weather yesterday and forecast for Saturday is a similar pattern for cloud in the morning and good sunshine from 13.00 hrs. accompanied with lower wind speeds. My recommendation for an early start falls apart regarding the best weather conditions forecast for Saturdday. Cloud base has been at around 650m before clearing in the afternoons. If the best weather is for Saturday afternoon then perhaps bag that early space in Glenridding and .....rest & relax (fester over a long breakfast) and start out late morning for the better weather on the ridge.

Unfortunately you will be moving with the slowest and least competent on the ridge. However, this snail pace will give plenty of time (how long is this really going to take them????) to demonstrate your exquisite and accomplished short rope/confidence rope techniques to both your son and the whole world. Classic photo opportunity. And no, I wouldn't be offering the rope to others. Adventure is about evaluating risk, understanding personal capability and standing on your own two feet. If you need a rope on this traverse and you haven't got one ( and more importantly know how to deploy it competently) then we call this a valuable learning experience. Turning back saves lives and is a tactic at the top of my action plan list.

Genuine emergency is a different situation.

Your Scottish pedigree and experience puts you in a completely different league to most hillwalkers. Not many can talk about a winter traverse of Aonach Eagach (notched ridge) and your other significant routes in the Highlands. I hope that your day on EA was finished with a handshake on the Pap, please don't disappoint me on this one......

Have a great weekend, and be amazed at the volume and intensity of visitor numbers. A NP survey last weekend (end of half term holiday) revealed that 43% of visitors would not have been in the Lakes during normal non Covid times. Of those visitors nearly a third were first time visitors. Overwhelmingly (68%) of visitors described themselves as White. However we are delighted to be welcoming 27% of respondents who describe themselves as Mixed and Asian backgrounds.

Don't worry about Saturday night - if you have the slightest concern or problem the PM me - it's not what you know but who you know!

Try The Royal Hotel at Dockray - it used to be a motorhome pub stopover, eat/drink and stay for free

The dynamic risk assessment continues..

Conditions yesterday on the Striding Edge traverse were very good, exceptionally dry underfoot and a lot of traffic from MIC led pairs to 'chancers and the hopeful' safely arriving at the summit. The weather yesterday and forecast for Saturday is a similar pattern for cloud in the morning and good sunshine from 13.00 hrs. accompanied with lower wind speeds. My recommendation for an early start falls apart regarding the best weather conditions forecast for Saturdday. Cloud base has been at around 650m before clearing in the afternoons. If the best weather is for Saturday afternoon then perhaps bag that early space in Glenridding and .....rest & relax (fester over a long breakfast) and start out late morning for the better weather on the ridge.

Unfortunately you will be moving with the slowest and least competent on the ridge. However, this snail pace will give plenty of time (how long is this really going to take them????) to demonstrate your exquisite and accomplished short rope/confidence rope techniques to both your son and the whole world. Classic photo opportunity. And no, I wouldn't be offering the rope to others. Adventure is about evaluating risk, understanding personal capability and standing on your own two feet. If you need a rope on this traverse and you haven't got one ( and more importantly know how to deploy it competently) then we call this a valuable learning experience. Turning back saves lives and is a tactic at the top of my action plan list.

Genuine emergency is a different situation.

Your Scottish pedigree and experience puts you in a completely different league to most hillwalkers. Not many can talk about a winter traverse of Aonach Eagach (notched ridge) and your other significant routes in the Highlands. I hope that your day on EA was finished with a handshake on the Pap, please don't disappoint me on this one......

Have a great weekend, and be amazed at the volume and intensity of visitor numbers. A NP survey last weekend (end of half term holiday) revealed that 43% of visitors would not have been in the Lakes during normal non Covid times. Of those visitors nearly a third were first time visitors. Overwhelmingly (68%) of visitors described themselves as White. However we are delighted to be welcoming 27% of respondents who describe themselves as Mixed and Asian backgrounds.

Don't worry about Saturday night - if you have the slightest concern or problem the PM me - it's not what you know but who you know!

Thanks again for the useful info.

Saturday’s weather is looking excellent: