Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glove comparment box - small box top right corner

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi.
Can anybody explain what the small box in the top right corner of the glove box is please?
Its about the size of a large match box and looks as if it has a little draw just like a matchbox. I cannot find anything in my manual about it so assume it is nothing functional to me.
Thanks

It is for plugging devices such as iPods etc. You may need to get a module to fit inside it for anything to work.

It is for plugging devices such as iPods etc. You may need to get a module to fit inside it for anything to work.

The iPod connection is a different box on the side I believe.

Having removed the Glovebox there's nothing attached to the small rear box mentioned.

On some models you can have cold air piped to glove box. Maybe something to do with that. IPod, USB etc: connection is towards the front on the R side wall.

I wondered that
Also
Having groped around in the dark to find stuff
Is there meant to be a light in there?
I thaught it was meant to be in that box, but was a £120 addition that I forgot to ask for

The iPod connection is a different box on the side I believe.

Having removed the Glovebox there's nothing attached to the small rear box mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback from you all - Yes the iPod / AUX connection is just in front of the small box I am referring to and on the side internal wall of the glove box; and drives my iPod well.
The small box looks as if the front comes away but there is no give to suggest a draw slides out - so I did not want to risk damage.

Hi Phil. I was intrigued. So I pulled the front off the box. You are very wise to have left it be. Yes, I was the sort of child who unscrewed every element of biros and then flung them all back in the drawer in bits.... I can't get the front back on now - and it is a box. No wire connections, just an oversized matchbox sized space of air. The front is held on by two clicking mechanisms on the side. Just trust me on that and leave yours well alone. Now, back to the van for another try.....

edit.... I now notice that there is space between it and the back of the dash so I would say there is a vent there to the engine which lines up with being the cold air to the glove compartment option....

Thanks for doing that for us Open road, I was tempted, but will now happily gain from your experience
And did you have a light?

I had a sat nav hard wire power supply kicking about in the garage so I fitted it behind this box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardwire-...860420?hash=item58b7af9884:g:4q4AAOSwkNZUkbxH

I use an airvent sat nav mount, this gets rid of the long sat nav wire dangling around the dash.

20151230_181732_zpsddfelckh.jpg

Back