Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going from 20” back to standard

H

Hicup

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi,

I bought a t5 beach with 20” alloys, they look great, knowing nothing about wheel sizes I went for the van on looks alone. Having owned the van a while I am now considering the potential downsides of larger wheels. The ride does feel a little harsh and possibly need a bit more gas to pull away, or maybe I am imagining it, having nothing to compare it to, what do people think?

What is the stock wheel size that comes with the t5 beach 2015?

I’m thinking of getting some 17” black alloys, any ideas on suitability, what tyre size and any recommendation on where to get them from?

Lastly does anyone know what type of alloys I currently have and any idea what this set including the tyres could be worth?

Thanks very much!D5C3897A-4F78-4CFF-BE93-22FCAA0BF048.jpeg

I think standard is 16 inch Claytons.

I have a set with worn tyres you can have if you make a fair offer.

Look like Riva SUV. 20" are the 'in' size with van converters so selling will be easy and should cover the cost of a 17" set.

In 17" I went for a 7.5" width with standard 55 Offset. I got them from Tyreleader, about 2>3 week delivery as not UK based. Prices vary with Euro/£ rate which isn't so good at present.. Up to 8" width is OK with a 235/55/17 103V tyre.

Some to look at

View attachment 62298
Standard equipment on a 2015 T5.1 Beach was 215/65R 16C . I don't remember if the load limit code was 103/104, but it's on the tire information sticker on the inside door jamb of one of the front doors. On mine it's on the driver's door on the left, don't know if UK is on the right side. There are other optional 16s and 17s sizes listed on the sticker.

I have riva suv on my T5 beach in 18". The van came with 17" thunder alloys but I'd kept the rivas from my se.
IMG_20200525_161328.jpg
Ignore the yellow, I have been considering get the calipers painted.

Thanks very much for your replies, very helpful.
I’m looking at some 17” alloys on eBay, - is there any way of working out if the wheels are genuine vw van load rated, ie is there some sort of code somewhere on the wheel.

Trying to avoid buying car rated wheels that are marketed as van wheels.

Thanks again.

....the wheels I’m looking at are simply listed as vw t5 17” originals. I am assuming that they will fit a 64 plate beach California?

Is there any way to tell if they are genuine?

They look like Touareg wheels, should be load rated enough
but im not sure.

Some wheels have the load rating stamped on the inside of the rim.

The codes are 7.5Jx17H2. Et55 JIL
7L6601025J

I’ve been busy googling these but can’t find any reference to load ratings, any ideas?

Just ask the vendor to provide a certificate to prove the load rating. A TUV cert for example.
There a very very few genuine suppliers who do van wheels and I think they are all German so a TUV certificate will be easy.

It’s an eBay individual sale, so I guess no tuv certificate, they did provide the codes stamped on the inside of the wheel - it’s just I can’t interpret them to work out the load rating :(

You see OEM 16” wheels with new tyres come up now and again for not much money, I’m sticking with mine as I don’t want the ride to be too harsh (have the dealer fit lowering springs) and there is a *lot* of tyre before the rim gets marked:)

The codes are 7.5Jx17H2. Et55 JIL
7L6601025J

I’ve been busy googling these but can’t find any reference to load ratings, any ideas?
Found this which confirms T5 fitment but an 'old' wheel so possible corrosion, just double check. Low value.

More help identifying

Last edited:
On ebay at the moment there are lots of 17" OEM wheels and some very good prices.

Thanks again for all the replies,
How do tell if the ones on eBay are oem van wheels though?

There look to be some good deals if I can just check they are genuine van wheels.....

Wheel design. 17" will be Davenport, Cascavel or older design Thunder. New design on 6.1 but Diamond cut face which is very prone to corrosion. Davenport most common, usually ex van with 215/60/17, 235/55/17 are rarer but cost more than 215 tyred wheels.

Just about to post the above about which ones. Also their pcd will be 120.
Sometimes they'll be listed as highline too.

Hi,

I bought a t5 beach with 20” alloys, they look great, knowing nothing about wheel sizes I went for the van on looks alone. Having owned the van a while I am now considering the potential downsides of larger wheels. The ride does feel a little harsh and possibly need a bit more gas to pull away, or maybe I am imagining it, having nothing to compare it to, what do people think?

I’m thinking of getting some 17” black alloys, any ideas on suitability, what tyre size and any recommendation on where to get them from?

Lastly does anyone know what type of alloys I currently have and any idea what this set including the tyres could be worth?

Thanks very much!View attachment 62298
I hate a harsh ride too and for that reason went standard fit on my Coast; however, while the ride is OK, bumps still transmit a harsh crash through the body IMO. Before you spend money I think you may need a wider consensus in this area; I would be interested too if there is anyone out there that has 'downsized'... I may even consider an 'upsize' depending on responses

Ah, ok, I’m beginning to understand - wheel design. It looks like there are plenty of 16” Clayton on eBay, the ones in the photo beneath look like genuine vw wheel design?

I assume that the bolts are all the same (or is that another can of worms;) and that the ones I currently have will fit?

64EAA7DD-D14C-4BA9-91CF-E9694D015D03.jpeg

My rivas have different bolts so you will likely need original vw bolts.

Ah, ok, I’m beginning to understand - wheel design. It looks like there are plenty of 16” Clayton on eBay, the ones in the photo beneath look like genuine vw wheel design?

I assume that the bolts are all the same (or is that another can of worms;) and that the ones I currently have will fit?

View attachment 62489

The above with the Hankook tyres look to be original VW Clayton ones supplied as standard on alot of Cali's. Generally £300-£400 on Ebay.

Many people switch wheels shortly after purchase of a new van for wider wheels, so this is often the cheapest way to get your yourself new wheels etc; When you need to replace in a few years time, just buy 4 new wheels + tyres again with delivery miles, then sell your old wheels + partworn tyres for say £150.

+ Buy an extra one for the spare, as it will in the standard spare wheel carrier.

Last edited:

View attachment 62489
As long as you have the smaller front discs then no problem with Clayton 16". After having 20" wheels they will look a bit lost in the wheel arches. Advantage being that they are virtually unsellable with the trend for bigger diameter wheels and hence a Buyers market.
I think that 6.1 Coast has these as standard fit.

Just looked on eBay, plenty of bolts there some with locking bolt too. Make sure there are 20 of them.