Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

going to look at new cali next week

dixie

dixie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi guys
First post and total newby to californias / camper vans . Have been in a tent for twenty years and loved every minute but its getting harder to get out of that sleeping bag during winter escapades in the lakes.Have always pined for a camper van and am now in a position to go by one , VW/Califorinias such a strong brand am I stupid for wanting to throw 50K into it ? New 204ps DSG think its a demo ?!?.
Also please help as I've never drove automatic >>>>

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Jump in, I very much doubt you will regret it!

I had not driven an automatic before buying my Cali but will probably always want to from now on - the DSG gearbox is so easy and relaxing to drive.

Maud :)

Hi guys
First post and total newby to californias / camper vans . Have been in a tent for twenty years and loved every minute but its getting harder to get out of that sleeping bag during winter escapades in the lakes.Have always pined for a camper van and am now in a position to go by one , VW/Califorinias such a strong brand am I stupid for wanting to throw 50K into it ? New 204ps DSG think its a demo ?!?.
Welcome Dixie. Doesn't sound stupid to me, go and have a look with an open mind and I'm sure the decision will come easy either way. DSG is excellent and doesn't take long to get used to, but an extended test drive would be ideal. Hope all goes well.
(Ps if you do get one I wouldn't show your postcode on you profile ID, if that's what it is).

Last edited:
Welcome Dixie. Doesn't sound stupid to me, go and have a look with an open mind and I'm sure the decision will come easy either way. DSG is excellent and doesn't take long to get used to, but an extended test drive would be ideal. Hope all goes well.
(Ps if you do get one I wouldn't show your postcode on you profile ID, if that's what it is).
Thanks yorkdubshire
Its not stupidity more the huge lump of cash ( my mind is already there ) and justifying the outlay !!!
Not sure why my postcode appears in my profile ? Why is this a problem ? Am I being stupid again ?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Jump in, I very much doubt you will regret it!

I had not driven an automatic before buying my Cali but will probably always want to from now on - the DSG gearbox is so easy and relaxing to drive.

Maud :)
Thank you Maud
I'm so excited just to get a Cali

Thanks yorkdubshire
Its not stupidity more the huge lump of cash ( my mind is already there ) and justifying the outlay !!!
Not sure why my postcode appears in my profile ? Why is this a problem ? Am I being stupid again ?
If you can afford it and it's what you want then go for it. Keeping it in the bank these days doesn't seem to get you much. Sounds like you are very experienced with the outdoor style of holidays so seems like a natural progression to me.
No your not being stupid it's just I wouldn't want the location of my £42+ Cali posted on a forum. Just my opinion of course. :thumb

I waited almost 20 years dreaming of one before i bought a Cali ,if you fancy it and got the cash ready .....go for it.
It is a whole lot of money but , live your live now , as it is to short to keep delaying the nice things ....;)

As for DSG , i always drove manual but love driving the DSG very relaxed.
Go for a test drive !

We bought our first campervan, Skylark 4 yrs ago. It was an old one, 1994 toyota Granvia 4wd auto high top. We worked on the principle that if we didn't use it, then we'd trade it in after a year. Campervans don't depreciate as much as cars, lets give it a go.

After 44 nights away the first year we were completely converted and can't imagine being without one now.
We've had Starlight Express for nearly a year, I would like to use her more but we were away for 42 nights in the last 10 months too!

Give it a go, what have you got to loose?
Oh, I wasn't keen on auto but I did most of the driving in the manual. Himself preferred auto, we changed years ago to share the driving when I was expecting. We haven't looked back and I much prefer auto now too.
Not looking forward to getting a manual for the teenage son to learn to drive in, but needs must...

Hi guys
I think you've already made the decision, heart wise, it's just your brain being sensible. Enjoy your test drive. As far as an automatic is concerned. Just keep your L foot on the foot rest. You'll soon get used to it. :thumb

Hi guys
Hello Dixie,
I would be very surprised/amazed if you regret buying a Cali. £50k buys you a lot of things but very few will make you smile quite like a Cali does every time you go out in it. Given current interest rates, £50k in the bank is all very well but know one is getting the benefit from it except the bankers at the moment. Unless you have a pressing alternative use for the cash, splurging it on a Cali to give you an instant, luxurious, comfortable, fully equiped escape capsule that is unlikely to suffer from high depreciation, seems a very good idea not a stupid one.
Anyway if you have always pined for one and now have the resources to buy one, what are you waiting for?

The DSG gearbox is an absolute peach. It is so easy and effortless to drive. I haven't driven a manual version but others have said that they are very good as well, except you have to do a bit more work. Test drive both and make your own mind up. IMO a Cali is designed for adventure, leisure and relaxation and the DSG seems to fit in with this lifestyle very well indeed.

What ever you decide, good luck.

Hello Dixie,
I would be very surprised/amazed if you regret buying a Cali. £50k buys you a lot of things but very few will make you smile quite like a Cali does every time you go out in it. Given current interest rates, £50k in the bank is all very well but know one is getting the benefit from it except the bankers at the moment. Unless you have a pressing alternative use for the cash, splurging it on a Cali to give you an instant, luxurious, comfortable, fully equiped escape capsule that is unlikely to suffer from high depreciation, seems a very good idea not a stupid one.
Anyway if you have always pined for one and now have the resources to buy one, what are you waiting for?

The DSG gearbox is an absolute peach. It is so easy and effortless to drive. I haven't driven a manual version but others have said that they are very good as well, except you have to do a bit more work. Test drive both and make your own mind up. IMO a Cali is designed for adventure, leisure and relaxation and the DSG seems to fit in with this lifestyle very well indeed.

What ever you decide, good luck.
Hi
I am on my second new Cali, and have had no trouble with them.
Although the RNS510 navigation is not so hot . Sends me wrong quite a lot. I have tested it out and when testing it out far from home it was trying to send me in the wrong direction and when I was four miles from home. It tried to send me the wrong way several times on short journeys.
I have booked it in for a service and it's first MOT at VW Northampton so they will have a look at it. It is an expensive bit of kit ,but in the last three years the Nav systym is very very poor.
I wonder if anyone has had it replaced under warrantry
Timber

Hi
I am on my second new Cali, and have had no trouble with them.
Although the RNS510 navigation is not so hot . Sends me wrong quite a lot. I have tested it out and when testing it out far from home it was trying to send me in the wrong direction and when I was four miles from home. It tried to send me the wrong way several times on short journeys.
I have booked it in for a service and it's first MOT at VW Northampton so they will have a look at it. It is an expensive bit of kit ,but in the last three years the Nav systym is very very poor.
I wonder if anyone has had it replaced under warrantry
Timber
I have had to have the GPS aerial replaced on my Audi under warranty and it's fair to say they'll all be from the same source, ultimately. Might be worth having that checked out if your location is not accurate on the screen in relation to where you actually are (mine had me in the sea just off the coast of Southport when I was driving through Wigan - not sure which I'd have preferred ;)).
If your location is right and it's just sending you in the wrong direction, a map update is your only option as any nav is only as good as its data.

The RNS510 is very old technology - first seen around 2007. About the same time as the first iPhone. Whilst the RNS510 has been upgraded with better screen, hard disk and processor over the years they have not made the same progress as iPhones.

Modern VW's have had updated systems for a few years now, which if you have had a golf in the last few years you will be benefiting from the better hardware.

It is pretty criminal that VW have been charging so much for the 510 in T5's.

Luckily the OP will be looking at a T6, so if they have got a Nav it will not be a 510.

And no the new systems will not fit into T5s :-(

Dixie
Just another to say " Go for it"
My only regret is not doing it sooner.
I guess I was to busy to want to take the risk ....if that makes sense.
And I love DSG! having only ever had manuals...as others say, just so eaisy
And I am ok with the 510, mine , when I have compared with maps, seems pretty accurate. I do have the v 13 maps, if that makes any difference
But it is true it isn't as good as Michelin navigation

And no the new systems will not fit into T5s :-(

Not technically true, they do fit :)

Getting them working is another matter, believe they can work but the navigation won't register.

Best decision we made - to buy a T5 Cali - after we retired. ZuluCampi has made the journey to and from Spain a fun, 3/4 day excursion. And it does put a smile on your face when you drive. The best fun I have is on a campsite and when I turn on the espresso machine and surrounding campersand look up. When I see them starting I just wave a coffee cup out the window and gesture to come over. Have met so many nice people this way. Thoroughly enjoy the Cali lifestyle! And so will you.

We had loads of trouble with our RNS 510, had the unit changed, new antennae in the mirror, new software, but it was finally cured by changing the antennae to a Kenwood one, which is a small round disc which sat on top of the unit under the dashboard centre tray, and it worked ever since that was fitted. All under warranty.

Hello Dixie....we own two automatic cars, and now part-ex'ing one for a DSG Cali....I would never ever go back to Manual...ever! My OH will be using Bertie to get to work and having an auto makes such a difference to that daily commute :thumb

Well have done it !!! Totally fell in love with it , delivery 1st March woohoo.......

We had loads of trouble with our RNS 510, had the unit changed, new antennae in the mirror, new software, but it was finally cured by changing the antennae to a Kenwood one, which is a small round disc which sat on top of the unit under the dashboard centre tray, and it worked ever since that was fitted. All under warranty.
Graham, it still sends me the wrong way sometimes...!

The GPS on the rns510 is rubbish ....
Waste of money , i got one fitted as it was a demo car but hate it , use a tom- tom beside it!

The new radio-gps on the T6 are improved even my dealer told me so...

Back