Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye Beach... hello Bus

rupertpoon

rupertpoon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After 5 years it is time to say goodbye to our faithful, fun, fabulous T5.1 Beach. It's taken us to Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria, usually carrying 4 bikes. It's also romped over to Wales and as far north as Banff.

Our needs have changed and roughing it with two teenage girls was not going to cut it, so last year we tried a trailer tent and now we have an Opus folding camper which at 800 kg's is a touch too heavy to tow fully laden with a 113hp engine.

So last Friday we said our farewells to the Beach. To be honest we were sad to see Maxi our Beach go, we'd done so much in it so it was part of the family, a companion on our adventures.

I took our Beach down the road to Leicester and part exchanged for a one year old T6 Caravelle with a 204 hp engine. It's not quite as fun as a Beach, but it's a lot better than an MPV. The bike rack is better to use too, if less pleasing to the eye. We still need a name for him/her too!

From Beach
5e8ff08785b2977313b91c99770e6d9a.jpg

To Bus
bb3c41df4f27cafca5d0f6ef779657df.jpg

Say hello to us if you see us on your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had never heard of Opus folding campers, they look really good.

As kids after dad sold his T1 camper we had many great trips in a trailer tent. The Opus has taken trailer tents a step further and look a great bit of kit.

As kids after dad sold his T1 camper we had many great trips in a trailer tent. The Opus has taken trailer tents a step further and look a great bit of kit.
It was a difficult decision to change as the Beach had been my dream vehicle but reality of three kids and luggage intervened. Opus is still fun and special, really looking forward to using it more this holiday. Just done a week in Scarborough C&CC site where it stood some torrential rain and kept us cool in the lovely sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone is different and camping is all about compromise - campervan, car and caravan/folding camper/trailer tent/folding caravan/roof tent/trailer and tent etc - all work better for some than others.

Good luck in your future adventures - please post some pics of the Opus set up and how it works.

Most of us are interested in all forms of camping! :)

Good luck @rupertpoon - it must've been a wrench to let it go, but you've not strayed too far & a few less rattles will surely help smooth the transition!

Would love to see a pic of the full set-up when you get chance too please.

Awesome, we had a Raclette Minto many years ago. That ruffled a few feathers when we rolled up at a CC site towing it behind our cammo green ex-military Landy! :D