Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye Brussels, hello Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next step: rapid inflation.

1930's Germany anyone?

This is going to come down to a fight between brexit stupidity and cold hard economics.

I've said it several times previously, I think it's unlikely that the UK will invoke art. 50 and very unlikely that the UK will leave the EU.

I've said it several times previously, I think it's unlikely that the UK will invoke art. 50 and very unlikely that the UK will leave the EU.

If this trickle feed of negative Brexit news keeps on for the next 30 months, I'm inclined to agree with you.

May couldn't be doing a better job if it is her intention to shift public opinion against Brexit, however, I think it is entirely unintentional.

Brexit means BREXIT !!!

David Davies is quite unbelievable, every time he opens his mouth the pound falls, if/when Article 50 is invoked I think we could be looking at a single day decline of 5% at best. Fuel has already started to creep up in price, we see the Unilever story in todays news but this is just the thin end of the wedge, come the new year all these extra import costs will really start to hit home and then we'll see which way public opinion goes.

Yes I can already hear the brexiter's saying buy British but just because something is made in UK doesn't mean none of its constituent parts are imported and how is this 'stuff' moved about? With the new wonderful 100% brexit approved uk made teleporter? No, its moved with imported fuel.

So unless we want to end up as some sort of wildlife reserve, where the people of the world can come to view the most stupid people in history who all eat egg and chips for dinner common sense must reign.

Snip

For innovation to rescue us, we need to be as welcoming as possible to foreign born students: we need to find and welcome the next Srinivasa Ramanujan,

Unfortunately, if Amber Rudd's plans take shape, that looks unlikely.

Alan

Unfortunately, if Amber Rudd's plans take shape, that looks unlikely.

Alan

The next Indian genius will have more chance of getting in to the UK when we don't have to allow every EU citizen in regardless of their qualifications.

The next Indian genius will have more chance of getting in to the UK when we don't have to allow every EU citizen in regardless of their qualifications.

Assuming the Indian genius wants to come here!

All the strange comments from Tory and UKIP Brexiteer politicians elicited the following observation from friend of mine to me:

Reminds me of the quote that Nixon said after the dollar left the gold standard. " the dollar in your pocket is still a dollar". There then followed a decade of rampant inflation.

I am glad we can agree on that!

Didn't some European scientists invent the magical graphene in the UK! Did they win a Nobel or two recently? In all the hullabaloo of Brexit I've lost track of such minor events...

Send them back! Taking UK jobs and having the temerity to invent materials so non British!

Didn't some European scientists invent the magical graphene in the UK! Did they win a Nobel or two recently? In all the hullabaloo of Brexit I've lost track of such minor events...

Send them back! Taking UK jobs and having the temerity to invent materials so non British!
I don't know how many times this has to be said but controlled immigration is not; "Send them back!"

What if the next Indian genius is not Indian, but the daughter of Romanian peasant?
Then she'll have to apply, just as her Indian predecessor did, to come to the UK if she so wishes. Why should she be treated any differently to any non-EU citizen?

I don't know how many times this has to be said but controlled immigration is not; "Send them back!"
You're absolutely right. It's actually 7.5% of the UK's GDP and £66bn a year in tax receipts.

You're absolutely right. It's actually 7.5% of the UK's GDP and £66bn a year in tax receipts.
And?
Exactly what do you mean by that statement. That EU workers contribute that amount to GDP and pay that amount in tax?
So based on that statement they must earn, in salary, about £120bn. Something they will not want to give up, nor will their governments. Builds an awful lot of Romanian country mansions and keeps a lot of Romanian builders in work at home.

My economic-and-social-liberal tendencies mean I tend to 'buy' arguments that immigration is a long term positive for most Brits (although not necessarily for everyone).

BUT the figures you quote Fred don't in themselves make that case, because what matters to people is per-capita GDP (or per-capita tax receipts, to fund public services), not the totals.

... the figures you quote Fred don't in themselves make that case, because what matters to people is per-capita GDP (or per-capita tax receipts, to fund public services), not the totals.
I'm not sure I fully understand your point. What would cause any material change in the UK's population?

No British university allows EU applicants to enter a under graduate or post graduate course with out the appropriate entry qualifications plus an English language qualification. The only difference is that the government applies a stringent visa requirement to international applicants, i.e all those from outside the UK and EU.

According to Rudd, student visas will be more difficult to obtain once the UK leaves the EU. She added that this would specifically apply to applicants to poorer quality universities, but did not elaborate on how the government would make this judgement.

I assume that all students from outside the UK will need to apply for student visas once the UK departures from the EU.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back