Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye I'am going over to the Dark Side

steviej

steviej

VIP Member
After two year of very enjoyable Cali ownership I am going over to the “Dark Side” and changing it for a Motor Home. We have just got home from a month long trip to Portugal in the Cali. We spent over two weeks (in the sun) on the Algarve and the van performed faultlessly – and returned 38.9 Mpg over 3,500 miles.

I have very mixed feelings about abandoning my pride & joy, particularly as I have always had an aversion to the “bungalow on wheels”. The compact size of the Cali allowed us to wild camp in some beautiful locations while away in Portugal.

I have to confess that It was a close call between changing the Cali or the Wife – and the missus won! She who must be obeyed requires a toilet and shower. On the plus side, I won’t miss the bedtime ritual of shoving her “less than compact” buttocks up into the roof bed.

So look out for a miserable sod, driving a white Fiat Ducato based bungalow, I will give you an envious wave.

My thanks to this great forum, for helping me to get the best out of my California. You may see me crying in my beer at this Sundays SE meet in Kent. :cry:

ps: If you are at the SE meet this Sunday I have a few of my Cali bits for sale but don’t mention this posting to the Wife

SHOCKING !!!

Good luck , watch the hight restrictions and look out for Cali owners lining up to use your shower and loo :lol:

Doing a month trip in a Cali I can understand the wish for something a little bigger with some more of the home comforts such as a shower & toilet, especially when wild camping. Yes can still get to some great spots in a slightly larger vehicle.
I have toyed with the idea of renting house out & living in a motorhome in UK & europe. But love my Cali at present.

Anyways best of luck & enjoy luxury travel & camping.

Back