Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California black out blinds

P

Paddy GC680

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,
Just ordered my first campervan. The VW Grand 680. So many options, but ended up getting most of them apart form 4 wheel drive and remote heating control.
Also the satellite dish & WIFI. Most of us have mobile phones with internet , and we can hotspot. Also if on a camping site, you pay for the internet as required.
What I have not seen is how you black out the cab at night. The girl on youtube (first release of the 680) said it was very difficult to fit, but never showed how it is attached. Appreciate some pics or updates on how new owners of the VW grand campers are coping with this. Maybe buy the external covers. I was hoping, its a nice curtain you can full across etc.

Hi all,
Just ordered my first campervan. The VW Grand 680. So many options, but ended up getting most of them apart form 4 wheel drive and remote heating control.
Also the satellite dish & WIFI. Most of us have mobile phones with internet , and we can hotspot. Also if on a camping site, you pay for the internet as required.
What I have not seen is how you black out the cab at night. The girl on youtube (first release of the 680) said it was very difficult to fit, but never showed how it is attached. Appreciate some pics or updates on how new owners of the VW grand campers are coping with this. Maybe buy the external covers. I was hoping, its a nice curtain you can full across etc.
Hi Paddy, welcome,

Ian is right the screen cover is the best option easy to fit good for summer and winter stops/reduces condensation also. Rainbow screens are worth a look as they are also supposed to be waterproof. Don’t hold off from ordering sooner rather than later as stocks of most camper stuff is running low.

Re WiFi if you have that as an option you have no need to purchase the internet from any campsite as you have it already on board, all you need is a data only sim for the on board router you opted for and it works incredibly well, really worth while.

Will

Hi Paddy, welcome,

Ian is right the screen cover is the best option easy to fit good for summer and winter stops/reduces condensation also. Rainbow screens are worth a look as they are also supposed to be waterproof. Don’t hold off from ordering sooner rather than later as stocks of most camper stuff is running low.

Re WiFi if you have that as an option you have no need to purchase the internet from any campsite as you have it already on board, all you need is a data only sim for the on board router you opted for and it works incredibly well, really worth while.

Will
Hi breeze, didn't go for the internet extra router. It was over £400 I think. Could still add it on, but can I not just share my phone internet with my laptop and then watch TV or review my emails. Not sure what the benefits are. You still need to buy a new sim card and data as requested. Mind you, I could require lots of Mb as intend to work from my lovely new van.

Hi breeze, didn't go for the internet extra router. It was over £400 I think. Could still add it on, but can I not just share my phone internet with my laptop and then watch TV or review my emails. Not sure what the benefits are. You still need to buy a new sim card and data as requested. Mind you, I could require lots of Mb as intend to work from my lovely new van.
Hi Paddy sorry thought you said it was one of your options.

The benefits of the router it has an independent antenna and draws a stronger signal than your phone. And often when your phone can’t. I use a 30 day sim rolling contract which you can suspend at any time then reactivate as and when you wish, it’s fast. Able to watch sky/Netflix/Amazon and freeveiw and email.
Oh the VW OPTION IS ABOUT £700
Will

Hi Paddy sorry thought you said it was one of your options.

The benefits of the router it has an independent antenna and draws a stronger signal than your phone. And often when your phone can’t. I use a 30 day sim rolling contract which you can suspend at any time then reactivate as and when you wish, it’s fast. Able to watch sky/Netflix/Amazon and freeveiw and email.
Oh the VW OPTION IS ABOUT £700
Will
Sounds like I need this option as i intend to work from the campervan. Seems like a lot of money for a router £700. Use large files so need good internet , was going to use our phones or site internet. Also have a BT hotspot account that could come in handy. Could buy from another supplier. More decisions. Any advice appreciated.

Hi everyone,

if I can jump onto this discussion not about sat dish though we didn’t order one for our 680 due mid March. Has any one ordered seat covers and if so where did you order from thanks Mark..

Hi everyone,

if I can jump onto this discussion not about sat dish though we didn’t order one for our 680 due mid March. Has any one ordered seat covers and if so where did you order from thanks Mark..
Hi Mark,

Yep I have the second skin ones in the 600 ordered from the club shop, had them in my T6, they fitted brilliantly, so ordered for the GC and disappointing to find they do not fit as well may be a one off however the look good and look OEM. So when the 680 arrives really thinking about leather and alcantara.

Will

Ive spent a lot of time trying to source seat covers. I previously has Inka 2nd skins on my Cali unfortunately they don't do them for the Grand as of yet. There's a German company Drive Dressy but there to far out there for us. Interestingly they have a great fitting video. The Brandrup 2nd skins are a bit to light for us. I found a company called SeatSkinz who do lots of options and placed an order. I haven't received them yet and they seem to be struggling to get the rear bench template so bit of a delay. So time will tell.

That’s great guys I will take a look at your suggestions.

Talking about blinds, are any other GC owners disappointed with the standard window blinds? Basically a corrugated paper blind. Works OK in the front half but in the rear, when you’re sleeping, you really don’t want to brush up against them, as they seem really fragile. Why couldn’t they have been made of something more substantial?

Lots of things that VW could have done better in the GC, but would I swap it, oh no. Looking forward to the next 10 years of exploring.

Hi all,
Hi! THE680 came with "curtains" for the windscreen and the driver and passenger windows. The windscreen curtain made me laugh when I tried putting it up for the first time. It's not really very difficult to fit, but it just seems like a very clumsy solution, when everything else in the van is so nicely designed. Almost as if is was an afterthought: The VW designers: "Ooops! We forgot to integrate blinds for the windows in the front, Dang! Now what? Oh, let's just make a piece of fabric that you can slide some rods into, so it stays up and then you tuck it behind the sun visors. That'll do the trick." I plan to just leave the rods in permanently, then the "curtain rolls up quite nicely and fits into the storage compartment above the front seats. The curtains for the two side windows have magnets sewn in and are easy to put up. I might still try to find a set of blinds that provides more thermal insulation though, but am not too keen on the kind that is fitted on the outside because I would like to be able to stay in the vehicle and drive away, if I need to for any reason.

Ive spent a lot of time trying to source seat covers. I previously has Inka 2nd skins on my Cali unfortunately they don't do them for the Grand as of yet. There's a German company Drive Dressy but there to far out there for us. Interestingly they have a great fitting video. The Brandrup 2nd skins are a bit to light for us. I found a company called SeatSkinz who do lots of options and placed an order. I haven't received them yet and they seem to be struggling to get the rear bench template so bit of a delay. So time will tell.
Hi - did you eventually get the covers and if so any comment on quality etc

Back