Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which make of Gas Bottles should one fit for the Grand California 680.

Hi Will
Just following up on your offer of photos for a gaslow installation on the GC 680..
Regards

Lee
Sorry Lee on it in the morning.

I’m planning to get a system installed in the near future . Without trying to hijack the thread - I think this is a question that could interest anyone following it - does anyone know a refillable gas installer accessible from South Oxfordshire?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the bottom up sorry loaded upside down.
1,This is the LPG fill point just under rear bumper and enters the gas cabinet vent grill
2, This is the front of the Truma BBQ Point side of gas cabinet opposite rear doors.
3, Here you can see the rear of the Truma BBQ point and it’s connection.
4, general location and pipe work and incoming LPG pipe.
5, Ditto
6, Ditto

I have installed x1 11kg and x1 6kg cylinder.

However I am having the BBQ connection pipe located to a better location on the 680. This will be located adjacent to the LPG filler pipe ie on the outside under the bumper.

Hope that’s fine and happy for any more queries.

Last edited:
Good suggestions...and thank you for posting. No problem getting it fitted I assume?

Good suggestions...and thank you for posting. No problem getting it fitted I assume?
None at all, 2 hours in total, if I haven’t had the Gaslow cylinders I might have considered the underslung tank only because it frees up space in the gas cabinet however not really necessary in a 680.

None at all, 2 hours in total, if I haven’t had the Gaslow cylinders I might have considered the underslung tank only because it frees up space in the gas cabinet however not really necessary in a 680.
Thanks Jester. Very helpful. We are having it fitted in April by Marquis in Poole.

Demelza...out of interest, are you going for the internal Gaslow refillable or the Gasit underslung solution. Can't make up my mind!

Demelza...out of interest, are you going for the internal Gaslow refillable or the Gasit underslung solution. Can't make up my mind!
Will here of Jester, if I were doing again probably the under slung, purely for space.
however I read at the time somewhere that there was an issue getting on euro tunnel but didn’t follow it through. Probably worth checking. Both systems are great for travelling abroad.

Demelza...out of interest, are you going for the internal Gaslow refillable or the Gasit underslung solution. Can't make up my
We are getting the internal Gaslow. It will take a day and half to do as he is not sure what is behind the gas storage area so will cut through. The refillable point will be on the side of the van at rear.

The bp gas light 10kg propane cylinders also fit the cupboard and are much lighter (15kg full) they are sold from Homebase but you need a 27mm clip on adaptor to connect to the Truma pig tails that come with the GC.

I’ve managed to source some cheap 10kg bottles, will this adapter do the job?

Also is it possible to use non gaslow bottles in a gaslow system?
1618763374776.png

Hi I have a similar predicament. Can anyone advise how long does a 11kg bottle last. I know it depends on showers heating etc but I guess in Covid in spring we will use hot water quite a bit

I did read a very informative post on this subject somewhere on here ....

Sorry forgot the link!!!

Thanks a lot. Very useful. Seems like there is no easy answer. It was so much simpler in my Cali where the camping gaz was pan european and so easy to swap. I am hoping to get my GC just before a holiday so won’t have chance to get any lpg installed. It seems as if in U.K. spring a 11kg cylinder should last me a week. So if I can find one I will fit one of those. Then will probably sort out lpg upon my return but even that doesn’t sound straightforward !!

We are getting the internal Gaslow. It will take a day and half to do as he is not sure what is behind the gas storage area so will cut through. The refillable point will be on the side of the van at rear.
hi, how did you get on with the fitting gaslow in your GC? where did you put internal storage ? did you find the space behind the locker ? How much did it cost to do ? Is the refillable point below the vehicle or in the side like the electricity ones. Thanks

hi, how did you get on with the fitting gaslow in your GC? where did you put internal storage ? did you find the space behind the locker ? How much did it cost to do ? Is the refillable point below the vehicle or in the side like the electricity ones. Thanks
Hi sorry to jump in as you have most of what’s required to install LPG cost ranges between £650/£750 depending on your installer.
There is little modifications to the original installationcosts mainly the cylinders and installation.
I opted for x1 11kg and x1 6kg cylinder.
also piggy backed onto that was the all important BBQ point.
Also ask for a gas completion certificate

if your on hook up you only use gas in the galley or BBQ’s. maybe rare occasions if no power to the site.
Good luck
Will

hi, we are getting the gaslow fitted at proper next week. does anyone have any advice re the bbq point ? is it a plug in system ? do I need a regulator after the bbq point or is it regulated ? which BBQ matches in terms of pressure ? thanks again

The BBQ point will be plug in, there are a few versions out there. The pressure will be "regulated"..that is 35 millibar. Obviously the gas supply from the BBQ point simply attached to your bbq. Pretty much any BBQ is ok ..we (and many others) use a cadec device.

As Leeb says the gas will be regulated to 30-35mb I use a city Cadec
BBQ outlet is down to you if you are having it fitted via Propex Billy will advise position. Here’s mine. BBQ is the quick connector in red.

image.jpg

Hi!
I whent for AluGas refill bottles
You can fit 2x14kg
Those would give you one week+ in minus degrees
Disclaimer for the minus, I haven't had the car below -10⁰ all 24h, has been 4-7 during daytime and more then 10 during the nights
Free camping
Outside of the minus degree environment you will have them last for more then month
If you go for them, buy an adaptor kit for Europe no matter if you haven't have any thought of leaving your home country, if you change your mind or would like to sell the car
Gas filter is a must!
Gas meter is a good tool, I got bluetooth Rotarex works like a dream...

So to the overcours, I connected both of bottles to ONE side of the side of the automatic gas switch
Why?
Simple, only need one measuring device for the gas level and for the convenience of only have to change one gas filter
Ok, it maybe not according to a TÜV inspection standard but we haven't got that in
Best from Benissa in Spain
Per-Stefan

As Leeb says the gas will be regulated to 30-35mb I use a city Cadec
BBQ outlet is down to you if you are having it fitted via Propex Billy will advise position. Here’s mine. BBQ is the quick connector in red.

View attachment 81640

Hello @Jester.

I am just back from Thomson Leisure Service in Northern Ireland to discuss the installation of 2x 11 kg Gaslow bottles with an external filler point.

We discussed where best to put the filler point. I am nervous to drill a hole in side of the GC, but equally I am nervous to get the filler point on the L-shape bracket behind the right back wheel.

How is this working out with yours? It seems you have the small filler point installed from Gaslow. Is this the one that you always have to put in an adapter first (and nothing wrong with that)?

There is a standard cost for the installation (which is a bit higher than I expected), which means to get the gas bottle cabinet out to install the filler point in the side of the camper properly. I am not sure about that (and that is no critic on Thomson Leisure) it is more VW, because it feels to me that everything is so complicated with the camper.

Kind regards,
Eberhard

Hello @Jester.

I am just back from Thomson Leisure Service in Northern Ireland to discuss the installation of 2x 11 kg Gaslow bottles with an external filler point.

We discussed where best to put the filler point. I am nervous to drill a hole in side of the GC, but equally I am nervous to get the filler point on the L-shape bracket behind the right back wheel.

How is this working out with yours? It seems you have the small filler point installed from Gaslow. Is this the one that you always have to put in an adapter first (and nothing wrong with that)?

There is a standard cost for the installation (which is a bit higher than I expected), which means to get the gas bottle cabinet out to install the filler point in the side of the camper properly. I am not sure about that (and that is no critic on Thomson Leisure) it is more VW, because it feels to me that everything is so complicated with the camper.

Kind regards,
Eberhard
Hello Eberhard,

Yes I had the very same dilemma Locating the filler point so went for the location you Described it was a hard decision, really made upon least disruption to the GC ie the pipeline runs through the air ventilation grill in the floor between the cylinders. Drilled slightly over size to enable a rubber grommet to facilitate the gas pipeline. Did not want to drill a hole in the side.

The filler point is the same size (normal size) receptacle it looks smaller as there is no round filler cap housing it.

It is slightly awkward actually filling it I must agree and also care must be taken when using the levellers

I looked upon it this way If you have installed in this location and find a better way there is no damage that cannot be put right as it would only require the mesh in between the cylinders.

I would be interested if you find another solution.

Take care Eberhard.

Will

Back