Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California VW UK Offers

Have they stopped making the Beach, or have VWUK just not made it available in the UK? Do l remember a post from a T 6.1 Beach owner in Ireland?
Not available in the U.K. poor decision by VW in my opinion

At the NEC, I was told by a VW rep that VWUK will not import the Beach and instead import the Coast as a trial. He said that they would not import all three models.

This could be due to the size of the market, with three models each getting a smaller share perhaps(?)

No, l don't accept that the UK is a market that couldn't support all three models. Especially as the Beach was aimed at a completely different sector of the market. I don't know how many Beach owners there are on the forum, it seems quite a few to me. It would be interesting to know no the percentage.

No, l don't accept that the UK is a market that couldn't support all three models. Especially as the Beach was aimed at a completely different sector of the market. I don't know how many Beach owners there are on the forum, it seems quite a few to me. It would be interesting to know no the percentage.
There was a poll done fairly recently re Ocean / Beach ownership, someone clever than me will remember the percentages at the close of poll. We agree entirely about different markets, Ocean’s are lovely but they weren’t what we wanted or needEd. If Beach’s hadn’t been available when we were buying we would not have bought an Ocean.

First quarter this year. 38 GCs registered and oddly two SORN

Having sold our Cali 3 weeks ago just hired a Hymer Grand Canyon S for two nights. Anyone wanting layout like Grand California would do well to check out a Hymer build quality is superb.

Hyper build quality is good, but shower too compromised especially when 6’4” Also felt interior looked dated

Tried GC at NEC, bed shorter than Beach. Beach import decisions made on margin/ brand/ easy life with less variants. VAG UK will not care about a few extra sales. No volume/ fleet sales either. Had to buy my Beach 6.1 in Germany

There was a poll done fairly recently re Ocean / Beach ownership,
44% Beach, 56% ocean. It targeted recent purchases so as not to be impacted by the early years when the beach wasn't available.

44% Beach, 56% ocean. It targeted recent purchases so as not to be impacted by the early years when the beach wasn't available.
I suppose the question is where are new would-be Beach buyers going to go in the absence of new RHD Beaches being available. VWUK may have assumed either to a VW conversion, a Cali Coast or Cali Ocean, in which case VW will still be quids in.

The Mercedes Marco Polo Horizon is a credible competitor to Beach (and better than any conversions that I’ve seen), so I suspect VW will lose more than a few sales to MB.

You have hit the nail on the head, ask yourself why “competitors can’t match” and why they maybe cheaper.

This is going to be good.
I dont understand....what point are you making?

The Cali is higher quality than the Ford/Mercedes competitors and those that are converted from VW Transporters....I’ve already said that...and that’s why I’ve got one.

When it comes to a Motorhome, which the Grand is trying to be (albeit in an ugly way) there are competitors who do that just as well, look better, are cheaper....in my view.

If you are trying to say that the Grand is better built/higher quality then that may/not be the case....I don’t really care, I don’t want one of those.

The Beach would have been my next purchase instead of Ocean....and it seems that about half of people preferred those. But not a Grand coz they’re not a camper van and they look horrid to me.

Have I missed your point?

The Cali is higher quality than the Ford/Mercedes competitors and those that are converted from VW Transporters....I’ve already said that...and that’s why I’ve got one.

When it comes to a Motorhome, which the Grand is trying to be (albeit in an ugly way) there are competitors who do that just as well, look better, are cheaper....in my view.

If you are trying to say that the Grand is better built/higher quality then that may/not be the case....I don’t really care, I don’t want one of those.

The Beach would have been my next purchase instead of Ocean....and it seems that about half of people preferred those. But not a Grand coz they’re not a camper van and they look horrid to me.

No, you missed your obvious point.

Having sold our Cali 3 weeks ago just hired a Hymer Grand Canyon S for two nights. Anyone wanting layout like Grand California would do well to check out a Hymer build quality is superb.
It’s good but the shower is a joke
The grand California doesn’t use them daft curtains the cali and westy showers are the best I have seen to date in a van conversion.
The interior of the hymer is definitely good there’s no doubt but at around 75k for a well specced one it’s definitely no better than the the cali or westy

What do you think looks horrid the 600 or 680?
Or both
And what other big van conversions are you comparing them too???

What do you think looks horrid the 600 or 680?
Or both
And what other big van conversions are you comparing them too???
Hi Jay20cali.
I’ll try to answer your questions but that isn’t my point.....
I think both look ugly.....and wouldn’t buy either nor any of the rivals.
Because that genre doesn’t interest me I’m not up on detail specs but that others (Hymer I-580(?) ) look better....other commenters gave price comparisons.

My point was that VW have stopped making something that people loved (Beach) that didn’t have viable competition and started making something that people evidently don’t love (Grand) because they’re not buying them that has lots of better looking and cheaper competition(all of which I dislike)

I thought this to be a simple point. Hope it’s clear?

went to see a grand yesterday. with the toilet in the centre and the permanent bed it felt like there was less space than in our cali. folding the bed out every night isn't an issue, and if they had put the toilet at the back they could have had a much bigger living area. We love the cali but would like the toilet. looking around at other options the transporter with a toilet are too cramped and all the other larger ones seem to have the central toilet with no more room than a cali. The only one slightly better is the Hymer DuoCar .. but that has only 2 seats with seat belts !! has anyone seen a larger van with a toilet but spacious living area?

went to see a grand yesterday. with the toilet in the centre and the permanent bed it felt like there was less space than in our cali. folding the bed out every night isn't an issue, and if they had put the toilet at the back they could have had a much bigger living area. We love the cali but would like the toilet. looking around at other options the transporter with a toilet are too cramped and all the other larger ones seem to have the central toilet with no more room than a cali. The only one slightly better is the Hymer DuoCar .. but that has only 2 seats with seat belts !! has anyone seen a larger van with a toilet but spacious living area?
Yep my club joker

Personally I think there nice
First look I did not really take to it,
but after having a good look at one in the dealership there really well put together a quality conversion as is the Westfalias these would be my first choice .then a Grand Canyon.
Horses for courses
Not everyone will like em

Has anyone bought a GC using the current VW offer? Is it what it appears - VW pay your first 3 months payments? Out local dealer Citygate have produced a solutions PVCP quote which shows a 3 month payment holiday - not VW paying the first 3 months! The interest due in the first 3 months has then been added back to the finance deal increasing monthly payments by £36+ - Has any else found this?

Has anyone bought a GC using the current VW offer? Is it what it appears - VW pay your first 3 months payments? Out local dealer Citygate have produced a solutions PVCP quote which shows a 3 month payment holiday - not VW paying the first 3 months! The interest due in the first 3 months has then been added back to the finance deal increasing monthly payments by £36+ - Has any else found this?
My offer only extended to the 4 years on warranty, 4 years breakdown cover 4 services and 1 free MOT and that's all I expected. did not do PVCP.

My offer only extended to the 4 years on warranty, 4 years breakdown cover 4 services and 1 free MOT and that's all I expected. did not do PVCP.
My point is the pcp offer may be a total misrepresentation of what the VW offer page states

I suppose the question is where are new would-be Beach buyers going to go in the absence of new RHD Beaches being available. VWUK may have assumed either to a VW conversion, a Cali Coast or Cali Ocean, in which case VW will still be quids in.

The Mercedes Marco Polo Horizon is a credible competitor to Beach (and better than any conversions that I’ve seen), so I suspect VW will lose more than a few sales to MB.
If google translate is correct then Vw's own advertising states that the Beach is "for camping enthusiasts" which is only a fraction of the truth. It seems that VW are clueless when it comes to why customers want the Beach.

As for the GC I'm not really surprised if it's not selling that well. There are too many other well established products to give it a good run for it's money.

The other thing that I don't really understand is why is the 600 a four berth whist the longer 680 only has two?

Back