Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Great first week-end away with my new Cali SE

Kyffinjones

Kyffinjones

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just back from my first week-end away in my new California SE. Fantastic weather and, despite all my fears about not remembering everything in the handbooks, no problems at all with the van (touch wood)! Can't wait for my next outing, and must start working on the retirement plan so I can adjust my work-Cali balance. I've definitely joined the 'why didn't I do this earlier?' club.

Lovely Judith :thumb

They can be quite addictive vehicles, and the joy of freedom and release is worth every penny.

Congratulations on a great start.

Sounds like an excellent first time out. Well done. I hope you have a lot more brilliant trips. Will you update us with places you find, with pictures please?

Has anyone been to this pub near Yeovil?
http://www.masonsarmsodcombe.co.uk/ We have our first night out in 2 weeks and as we live in Bristol it seemed close enough to try. We have our handover the day before, just hope we can take in all the information in and have as good a time as you seem to have done.
Still at least the house will be emptier as we can load up the pans, cables, levelling ramps and all the other essentials we have been collecting.

Last edited:
Sounds great Judith! We are waiting for delivery and you're making me very impatient!

Congratulations Judith. Your break sounds fantastic. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

More progress reports please.

Sounds like an excellent first time out. Well done. I hope you have a lot more brilliant trips. Will you update us with places you find, with pictures please?

Has anyone been to this pub near Yeovil?
http://www.masonsarmsodcombe.co.uk/ We have our first night out in 2 weeks and as we live in Bristol it seemed close enough to try. We have our handover the day before, just hope we can take in all the information in and have as good a time as you seem to have done.
Still at least the house will be emptier as we can load up the pans, cables, levelling ramps and all the other essentials we have been collecting.

Hello SimonB, my hubby says the Odcombe pub is good with nice beer. Not camped there though, we don't have a van yet and it's quite near home ! Montacute house is nearby and that nice too. Would be interested to hear your first impressions, we're hiring a Cali for a few days to see how we get on. There's a Parkrun at Montacute if you're interested too !

Thanks for all your responses. Great to feel part of the Cali community already.

Hello SimonB, my hubby says the Odcombe pub is good with nice beer. Not camped there though, we don't have a van yet and it's quite near home ! Montacute house is nearby and that nice too. Would be interested to hear your first impressions, we're hiring a Cali for a few days to see how we get on. There's a Parkrun at Montacute if you're interested too !

Thank you very much for the recommendation.
I think hiring a van is a great way to find out what you think and how it suits you. We looked at a lot of professional conversions and also a lot of own conversions. With the people who had arranged their own, they all said that if they knew then what they know now they would have laid things out differently.
We were looking at a vehicle that could be used as a large car but also as a base to sleep & cook in. I think the California meets our needs. I'll let you know how we get on. There seem to be quite a few Autumn newbies and as long as the weather is kind to us, we plan to make use of it. Simon

Likewise....role on retirement! Still feel like a newbie myself...work is getting in the way!

We too had our first weekend away in our California. Lots of things to refine for next trip and long list of things to buy! Thought it was too cold to sleep up top so last minute change around.
Went to Lancashire for diving and walking, everything seething to fit so now planning many more trips away.
Simon and Janet