Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Great White Errors

This thread probably needs a poll.
1-GW pulling a crap car
2-Decent car pulling a Caravan
3-Nice Sports-car staying at hotels

Given that 911’s don’t come with tow bars, option 3 is the only (non-Cali) choice.

What about 4-cali pulling a nice sports car?

This (ie Caravan Road Rallying) was an actual sport back in the '60s and '70s'. Some big rallying names of the era like Tony Pond (below) and Pat Moss took part. Bring it back!

1599480269591.png

But here's something proper to tow behind a Cali.

1599479976154.png

But here's something proper to tow behind a Cali.

View attachment 65775
Love it, used to restore triumphs for a hobby had a Tr6, GT6, couple of spitfires & quite a few Stags. Got fed up with dealing with rust & these days I just have to keep an eye out for woodworm. Its the noisiest, leakiest most uncomfortable car Ive driven in ages but when you are in the right mood its brilliant.

IMG_1388 copy.jpg

Love it, used to restore triumphs for a hobby had a Tr6, GT6, couple of spitfires & quite a few Stags. Got fed up with dealing with rust & these days I just have to keep an eye out for woodworm. Its the noisiest, leakiest most uncomfortable car Ive driven in ages but when you are in the right mood its brilliant.

View attachment 65796

Nice! And at least the Plus 4 started out with a TR engine!

When I sold my MoHo, I was contacted by a potential purchaser who lived quite a long distance away. He was keen and asked for honest answers to his questions, then said that he would like to come to view and if it was as described he would pay me cash and drive it off there and then and there would be no comeback.
At the appointed time he duly arrived with his 13 year old son in a Vauxhall Vivaro van that he used for work.
He spent quite a time inspecting the MoHo, then said he would have it and take there and then.
As there was only him and his son, I asked how he proposed to do that.
"It's got a tow bar, hasn't it?" So saying , he dived into his van and produced an A frame of the type used by recovery companies and proceeded to fix it to his van which he then hooked up to the MoHo that he had just bought from me (Cash). After a quick brake check, he drove off into the sunset.

View attachment 65796

My Auntie used to have a red Spitfire when I was a kid. That’s when my passion for cars kicked in...
I remember my sister and I used to ride on the rear bulkhead behind the front seats.
They were the days...

Is that actually legal?
In the USA I think it is. Actually saw one of these in Washington State. But then all sort of strange things are legal on US roads! Was told they do not have anything resembling an MOT test. From what was on some of the roads I believe it.

Is that actually legal?
I’m rusty but I do believe the only legal way to tow two things at once in the UK:

”Showmen’s” vehicles (that’s what the regs refer to them as, to everyone else fairground vehicles as someone mentions above, usually a 50 year old Foden towing a ride and a ‘living van’ on the back doing about 28mph on a dual carriageway at 2am).

And agricultural vehicles: a tractor and two agricultural trailers being used for agricultural purposes or a tractor and an ‘agricultural trailed appliance’ (bailer for instance) and an agricultural trailer, or two agricultural trailed appliances at the same time.

And some of then more exotic heavy haulage apparatus.

The haulage industry has been advocating for many years to be able to tow two semi-trailers behind an artic. Common in Sweden. DfT has never much fancied it. Although IIRC they might have authorised a limited trial now I think about it.

You did ask...

My anorak calls.

Last edited:
I’m rusty but I do believe the only legal way to tow two things at once in the UK:

”Showmen’s” vehicles (that’s what the regs refer to them as, to everyone else fairground vehicles as someone mentions above, usually a 50 year old Foden towing a ride and a ‘living van’ on the back doing about 28mph on a dual carriageway at 2am).

And agricultural vehicles: a tractor and two agricultural trailers being used for agricultural purposes or a tractor and an ‘agricultural trailed appliance’ (bailer for instance) and an agricultural trailer, or two agricultural trailed appliances at the same time.

And some of then more exotic heavy haulage apparatus.

The haulage industry has been advocating for many years to be able to tow two semi-trailers behind an artic. Common in Sweden. DfT has never much fancied it. Although IIRC they might have authorised a limited trial now I think about it.

You did ask...

My anorak calls.
I knew about the " Showman's - travelling Fairs " regulations and in Australia they have the Road trains but they are all commercial haulage systems with their own regulations but certainly not any " Tom, Dick or Harry " hitching up 2 trailers like that.

More weirdness Wheel covers? WTAF?

View attachment 65870
Like caravaners, I think a lot of the ‘enjoyment’ of the trip is the administration before, during and after. I’ve seen some people spend the entire day erecting things, filling things, adjusting things, setting up things, emptying things and stepping back and looking at things. There doesn’t seem to be any time to actually go exploring. The admin seems to be the thing that they do. I can only imagine adding wheel covers gives another task that can be stretched out so that they don’t have to spend another moment in the company of their partner? :rolleyes:

Back