Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Green heat insulating glass VS Privacy glass

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've been trying to find an image that shows the difference between Green heat insulating glass (QL3) that comes as standard on the new T6 beach and the optional privacy glass QL5 (Privacy glass in passenger / load compartment with green heat-insulating glass in cab)

The only thing I can find that shows Green heat insulating glass vs clear is this rather poor photo on VWs website : http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/heat-insulating-glass

We've got it on our Skoda and I'm glad it's got it.

Has anyone found any images showing QL3 and QL5 side by side for ease of comparison?

Last edited:
I've asked for clarity on this from VW head office. Will share when I get a reply blondebier

WINDOW OPTIONS

I've also asked the following questions to VW yesterday, so between us we might be able to obtain some clarity to the situation.

1 T6 California standard equipment states “heat insulated compound glass windshield” for both Beach and Ocean models - is this laminated glass or something else?

2 Z2C option - Laminated glass package in cab states,
1. “laminated glass front” - is this laminated drivers and passengers side windows?
2 “ Privacy glass rear” - is this 21% or 55% tint?

3 The dealer configurator will not allow Z2C and QLO to both be specified. Is this because Z2C includes 55% privacy glass with heat insulation within the package so you do not need to order QLO as well?

I was told the Z2C option is laminated side cab glass and thicker front screen to reduce noise.

WINDOW OPTIONS

I've also asked the following questions to VW yesterday, so between us we might be able to obtain some clarity to the situation.

1 T6 California standard equipment states “heat insulated compound glass windshield” for both Beach and Ocean models - is this laminated glass or something else?

2 Z2C option - Laminated glass package in cab states,
1. “laminated glass front” - is this laminated drivers and passengers side windows?
2 “ Privacy glass rear” - is this 21% or 55% tint?

3 The dealer configurator will not allow Z2C and QLO to both be specified. Is this because Z2C includes 55% privacy glass with heat insulation within the package so you do not need to order QLO as well?
Just to clarify, does the dealer configurator specifically mention 55% tint or does it just mention Privacy glass.

I am beginning to wonder if some of the confusion and different info available for the laminated glass option is because there has been a change to the Z2C option for the T6 and some info available is relating to the option for the T5.

I have all but given up on this one, I can only wait and see what tint the van has when it arrives and then discuss with the dealer if needed

I have been reading this thread about privacy glass regarding QL5 did you find out how dark it is 20% or 50%.

I have been reading this thread about privacy glass regarding QL5 did you find out how dark it is 20% or 50%.

In my opinion (but I stand to be corrected) the laminated glass with privacy option is 55% but this is not a particularly dark tint. The right level of glass tint is very subjective and my take on it is I wouldn't want the tint any lighter than this and for many people it is not dark enough.

if I went for an after market option it would be 35%. The main benefit of this glass option is the laminated glass which is a safety feature. I've not gone for a darker tint via after market options as I find 55% ok. The attachment below might be useful as a guide.
IMG_0267.PNG

One of the other advantages of the privacy film is that you don’t need to use the flimsy blinds as often if you just want to change clothes during the day, or don’t want people to know you’re in your van. The flimsy blinds are often damaged during use and although automatically replaced under warranty usually something else is broken in the trim whilst replacing the blind so the vehicle gets pretty pock marked by repair jobs. Use the blinds less- they last longer!

Hi I know this is an old thread but I've just seen that you say the blings are replaceable under warranty...are you sure as I have just been charged over £500 to replace a rear blind from dealer?

Hi I know this is an old thread but I've just seen that you say the blings are replaceable under warranty...are you sure as I have just been charged over £500 to replace a rear blind from dealer?
Maybe some more detail Liz. Was it faulty, did you damage it??

This table was on another thread from a while back, but was still valid when we ordered the Cali last Dec. Laminated glass option is darker than std privacy glass and is also supposed to cut out more noise.

Attachments

• T6 Glass Options.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for responding so quickly- we hire out new 2019 VW California Oceans and it was a customer who damaged it
If it’s damaged then it’s not really a warranty job? Unless it got damaged during standard use. Hard to tell with hire vehicles I suppose.

Sorry to be daft but if it got damaged during standard use then is it fixed under warranty?

Sorry to be daft but if it got damaged during standard use then is it fixed under warranty?
Unlikely, unless damaged due to a manufacturing fault, but you would have to prove that.
The alternative would be to have some Insurance cover.

Thanks for responding so quickly- we hire out new 2019 VW California Oceans and it was a customer who damaged it
Do you not have Insurance for that scenario?

Unlikely, unless damaged due to a manufacturing fault, but you would have to prove that.
The alternative would be to have some Insurance cover.
Many thanks for this...I thought it wouldnt be but was interested when I saw the earlier thread saying that it would be. Liz

Back