Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Halfords are doing window etching now.

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I see lots of posts here regarding vehicle security and means to prevent theft.

I recently invested in a new steering wheel lock.

Looking around at prices, I found that Halfords are offering a free window etch service if you spend £50+ on security products.

I have just had the window etching done....6 windows in total......front/rear windscreens, 2x front door. Side door plus cooker/sink window.

The service is from RetainGroup , who provide a central database (ISR - International Security Register), and support to owners who may have had their vehicle stolen or to Police who perhaps have found a vehicle.

The Halfords window etch service normally costs £20.

The blurb online says that it will take approx. 10-15 mins, but in reality is between 30-45 mins.

I will think about getting the 4 remaining windows (2x side openers, plus 2x rear side windows) treated, but this will mean a different code being applied. But this does not really impact anything, as you personally need to register the code(s) with Retina, so the 2 codes will always link back to the one vehicle registration and vehicle type.

I will certainly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Last edited:
Hi what is the benefit of this?

Does it aid in vehicle recovery if stolen or is it more of a visual deterrent to prevent theft? (or both?!)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

In the 70's lots of places etched your number plate details in your windows - it acted as a deterrent form someone stealing your car for parts or putting a force plate on it. To be honest a number plate number etching seems better than a number you have to look up on a database.

I tend to think if I was considering getting Halfords to do it, I may as well buy the kits and do it myself. They aren't renowned for paying for skilled experts, its more technicians with an hour of basic training.

Wonder how it would interact with the window tints, also window etching didnt deter the folks who stole my parents caravan, nor did it ever show up.

I tend to think if I was considering getting Halfords to do it, I may as well buy the kits and do it myself. They aren't renowned for paying for skilled experts, its more technicians with an hour of basic training.

Wonder how it would interact with the window tints, also window etching didnt deter the folks who stole my parents caravan, nor did it ever show up.
Yes I had these concerns myself, but I need not have worried.

I'll take a photo of finished etching on tinted windows.

I can't really see professional car thieves being
deterred by an etching number on the windows,
it would only mean that after they have nicked it and
stripped it down, they would get less cash for the windows.

A complete waste of money and time for the poor guys
who work at halfords, having to do that each day.

What happens if you or the new owner wants to put on a private number plate? Do you have to go new windows ?

What happens if you or the new owner wants to put on a private number plate? Do you have to go new windows ?
No, because the original number remains assigned to the vehicle. So, when you sell it on and retain your personal plate, the reg reverts to what it was. It might be a problem if you have your personal number etched into the windows.

The etching is not your Car Registration number but a unique code.

You go online to register the code to your vehicle. This is where you state your car registration and chassis number.

If you sell on the car then the new owner can ask to update the record.

Similarly if you change your car registration number, you can log in and change the details yourself. You update to change your address and contact details this way too.

Back