Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side window security warning!!

Regarding the
Motorcyclist, they actually pushed and removed the window completely - we found a hole where the window once was and the window itself in the van - trust me, they are very easy to push out of the channels - which is why I think it's such a poor design - it was also pretty easy to fit back again with a screwdriver!
Right, I thought they had slid it along. Back to the drawing board :headbang

Did you take any photos of the window and channels while they were out?

The problem with something like this is that it will be a known weak spot by the low life, so they will just go straight to it. Like the spare wheel theft problem.

Maybe we should turn the dash cams around, but they would steal them anyway!

It was really odd as yes they did go through the window and ransack the inside - it was weird as they went in and out through the window!!

It's a small window to climb through with an alarm going off as you would be almost captive inside.

It's a small window to climb through with an alarm going off as you would be almost captive inside.
Yes I agree, there were marks on the sliding door where they had put the foot on to climb in - I wish they had been trapped in there when I got back to the Cali!! These guys don't care though I guess - I was talking to a German T25 owner (had owned it since new!!) and he said that he doesn't stay overnight in Italian Service stations as they will break in even if your sleeping in the camper - scary thought!!

The problem with something like this is that it will be a known weak spot by the low life, so they will just go straight to it. Like the spare wheel theft problem.
Yes I agree, they very clearly knew the weak point and just how to get in :( Would be nice for VW to perhaps acknowledge and address the issue though ;) Nothing will ever be perfect of course as GrannyJen said we don't want to drive around in armoured cars!!

Keeping things positive and happy though, I would highly recommend the coastal drive from Montenegro up to Slovenia - stunning and lovely, friendly people all the way alone - Montenegro and Slovenia were particularly stunning :) Took ages to drive and my average speed was 23 MPH, but it was worth it ;) The Cali was faultless to drive (even the manual which I always have) and love the fact you get a bit more of a 'view' from the high driving position when driving along costal roads ;)

Albania was interesting, the roads were appalling at some points, but everyone was very friendly, for what is clearly a poor country - also saw so many MK2 Golf's in Montenegro it looked like it was a current model!! Same for T25's ;)

No offence taken. There is a knack to fitting the screens and you certainly should not need 2 people to fit them.Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 18.06.20.jpg

OK just got home and can confirm the Cali is deadlocked so they have to climb in through the window.

There are two solutions:-

1. Make sure everything you carry is too big to fit through the window :confused:
or
2. Prevent the window opening by dropping a metal rod into the channel as shown in the picture

View attachment 9550

Leave the cut end fairly sharp so that it grips the plastic at the end of the channel, if you file it smooth then it could slip out of the channel.

Do the same the other side.

The exact length to cut to is 438mm, this is a little longer than the visible channel as a small section slips under the window.

To remove the rod just use a fingernail or something.

Obviously a determined thief will still get in but it will slow them down.

(Or maybe we should just make it easy and leave the window open so they don't damage the van .....)

:D

Neat idea

Sorry to hear this. I've adapted my screens and glued some plastic Mozi screen to them so mozzi's don't get through. They can get through the sliding door or the rear door like they did once in Spain.

It sounds rather neat to me - on the basis that if someone wants to break in nothing is going to stop them, I would rather they pushed the slider in than smashed a window. It sounds a lot less hassle to refix it than to try & find someone to replace a window particularly when abroad.

It sounds rather neat to me - on the basis that if someone wants to break in nothing is going to stop them, I would rather they pushed the slider in than smashed a window. It sounds a lot less hassle to refix it than to try & find someone to replace a window particularly when abroad.
Yes, it was certainly easier than we thought to get the window fixed back in - to begin with I was looking for an Official VW Van centre to get them to do it (the Cali is less than 5 months old), but in the end we managed to pop it back in ourselves - I was dreading spending the next two weeks with no window in the back - especially as this was at a point of the journey where about a third of the total miles I eventually covered!!

To be honest (having seen how the window fits from being completely removed) if VW simply put much more robust pins (longer and stronger) for when it runs in the sliding channels - I feel it would've been much more difficult to remove - then the simple solution suggested by Motorcyclist would make it much more secure ;)

With regard to the mozzies, we just ended up resigning ourselves to being bitten every night - it got less and less and not too much hassle - as we all know, as soon as you open the rear or side door they all flood in anyway - especially at night with the interior lights on! For me personally I'd rather be bitten than have the smell of the various repellents you can get.

Well I wrote to VW outlining my concerns and also with some suggestions - this is part of the reply I got....

'I was sincerely sorry to learn of the issues outlined in your email and your experience with the Volkswagen California whilst you were in Italy. Here at Volkswage Commercial Vehicles we are always grateful to recieve feedback regarding our vehicles, and particularly in your ideas to improve our products. Your enquiry has reached Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK Head Office; our role is as an importer of Volkswagen Group vehicles to the UK and to provide sales and after sales care, we have no input to the design process'

Now to contact VW head office in Germany ;)

By the way I copied and pasted the above - I didn't re-type it so yes it did contain the spelling errors including missing the 'n' from 'Volkswagen' - but hey what the hell, they do make a rather nice camper van ;)

I thought the fly screens were tricky to fit at first,but in the end managed to suss out the technic in fitting them,although hadn't had the need to for a couple of years, as Welshgas stated you still have to cover the sliding door when open :(
Thinking of visiting Scotland later in the year,.... might look on EBay for a space suit :)
I sewed fine midge netting on mine. Generally when we were in Scotland it was so windy the midges couldn't fly. We had one night when we were really glad of the screens as it was hot and still and very midgy

Well this post has certainly generated some comments! Sorry to hear of the theft in Italy. I've just returned from 3 years in Balkans and travelled Greece, Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, Croatia, Italy (Naples, Florence, Luca) including Sicily and Sardinia, Corsica, France Northern Spain, Galicia. Like you I found Greece excellent and wild camping was no problem. We were always aware of crime but thankfully were lucky. Where in Italy were you? I like the idea posted of the rods for locking windows and will be doing just that.
As for my thoughts on the Cali - I love it. We were loaded up on our return and just developed a routine of what went where and in which order. Whilst we saw plenty of motorhomes not once d were we envious. I would comment that some of the fittings are not of a good standard i.e. the fiddly shelf supports, the handles on the sliding door under the sink and a few other plastic fittings here and there but overall we are very satisfied to date. Beautifully smooth to drive with the power when needed.

Last edited:
We went to Parga last year on holiday before we got our van. Beautiful place and we said the campsite looked great . Were hoping to tour Europe next year but feel a bit apprehensive now re the window issue:(

We went to Parga last year on holiday before we got our van. Beautiful place and we said the campsite looked great . Were hoping to tour Europe next year but feel a bit apprehensive now re the window issue:(

Don't be.

If someone is desperate enough to get in they'll just smash a window anyway. I've done thousands of miles around Europe stopping on isolated Aires a lot of the time and never had a problem.

It's like lightning, it strikes some but misses most, you can neither tell when it's going to strike or protect yourself if it did so go forth and enjoy in the spirit that if lightning does strike you will at least have had a ball first.

**** Granny philosophy # 25

smash a window anyway
I still slightly disagree with it being the same as smashing a window to get in - purely as removing the window is silent and smashing a window is simply smash and grab so if there's nothing on display then very unlikely - in my case there was nothing on display and they had a good look around. I worry that this seemed to be a new way to gain access as they knew exactly where to target.

However, I would happily go again and not be worried - I agree it's unlikely and even though my experience happened early on, the rest of the trip was awesome and it was soon forgotten about. Don't let it put you off LynandJim, no point in spoiling a potential trip and is still very unlikely - as I said in a previous post - Italy and the service stations in particular are a high risk so never leave the van unattended in them and NEVER sleep over in a service area. If I had followed my own advice now I'm sure this thread would have never started :)

In this Cali I've actually done over 5K miles and two trips through Europe this year - this was the only problem I had. And yes Parga is lovely and the campsite people are also lovely and friendly :)

Sorry to hear about your break-in. Certainly good to know for all us other owners.
There are two models of Cali on continental Europe certainly one of them doesn't come with a sliding window door side. Not sure about the other model. Of course this doesn't help since there is a sliding window on kitchen side..
I'll certainly be thinking twice where I park up...

With regard to break in's. Woke up to find someone has moved into cupboard. No evidence of break in. Just some strange dust. Just shows who reads our comments. I was lucky. Vans runs better seem's lighter.
Happy camping.
Chipper.

Picture casio 10.11.jpg