Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hardtop California wanted!?

Hello
That’s exactly what we did September 2020! Covid delayed things somewhat but finally got the job done August this year and we couldn’t be more pleased!
Our reason to change the roof was medical, both of us having back problems and after having to cut a couple of holidays short we thought our camping days were numbered. It’s was a struggle when the roof was down which was our problem, it’s not always convenient to pop the roof.
It did come with some ‘extras’ though. Not only storage but the roof corrosion problem had returned worse than when it was done the first time.
View attachment 84294
Looks amazing Steve.
Not a decision you had taken lightly and you have done it for all the right reasons . Hopefully a few more years though ❤️ Lesley

Did you keep the original roof?

Hello
That’s exactly what we did September 2020! Covid delayed things somewhat but finally got the job done August this year and we couldn’t be more pleased!
Our reason to change the roof was medical, both of us having back problems and after having to cut a couple of holidays short we thought our camping days were numbered. It’s was a struggle when the roof was down which was our problem, it’s not always convenient to pop the roof.
It did come with some ‘extras’ though. Not only storage but the roof corrosion problem had returned worse than when it was done the first time.
View attachment 84294
Glad they did a good job. Your inside is similar to ours in style, our wood panels are all cream so it is very light. We remain delighted with our Autohaus LWB conversion.

Looks like you’ve gained a lot of extra storage space.

Great stuff :thumb

Best camper conversion for a T4, T5 or T6 ever, a LWB high roof. Not the one in my avatar, that is a factory roof, a Reimo one is even better. More storage space, better insulation, less noise from outside, you can stand up any time and more room to move about even with the bed down.

It’s a pity you can’t swap them over. Would have to be a manual pop top but it would be great to be able to swap from high top to pop top. Bit like the convertibles with hard tops.

It’s a pity you can’t swap them over. Would have to be a manual pop top but it would be great to be able to swap from high top to pop top. Bit like the convertibles with hard tops.
Like the idea but I think the fibreglass hardtop would be too heavy to manoeuvre on and off.

I suppose what I’d like (and not going to get) is
No hassle of raising roof.
No crouching. I always crouch even when beds up. Can’t help it.
Could leave bedding on the bed. That would free up a lot of space.
I’ve had our California since 2009 so I am quite attached to it. I’m not complaining. Was just wondering if others might like a metal fixed top. Doesn’t sound like I should be phoning China just yet.
No crouching. I always crouch even when beds up. Can’t help it.

Me too - psychological, I guess.

If you take your California to Autohaus (Acare Leisure) in Minehead Somerset they will, I believe, take the pop top off and put on a high top and fit the new top out. Think in terms of at least £5000.

If you take your California to Autohaus (Acare Leisure) in Minehead Somerset they will, I believe, take the pop top off and put on a high top and fit the new top out. Think in terms of at least £5000.
£5000 is not a bad starting point for a high top supplied, painted, fitted and fitted out internally. I guess from that the company will want to keep your elevating roof and all its mechanics, hydraulics and electrics to sell on.

£5000 is not a bad starting point for a high top supplied, painted, fitted and fitted out internally. I guess from that the company will want to keep your elevating roof and all its mechanics, hydraulics and electrics to sell on.
From what I understand, in having not done this, is that the pop top is destroyed in the process. Don't know about the other stuff.

From what I understand, in having not done this, is that the pop top is destroyed in the process. Don't know about the other stuff.
The only thing I can say to that is. Why?
The elevating roof is totally removable and repairable as many on this forum have discovered so must have a value in spare parts at least. The only part that I can think of that isn't easily removable intact is the reinforcing element in the roof which I would think needs to stay in place with a hard top. At least my high roofs have always had a reinforcement frame added when fitted to a 'tin-top'.

The elevating roof is totally removable and repairable as many on this forum have discovered so must have a value in spare parts at least. The only part that I can think of that isn't easily removable intact is the reinforcing element in the roof which I would think needs to stay in place with a hard top. At least my high roofs have always had a reinforcement frame added when fitted to a 'tin-top'.
Don't know, I could be wrong. If interested contact Tony at Autohaus.

The Hard top installer might not want the hassle of selling non-warranted parts on, so easier to just dispose of them.

Surely the roof complete with bellows, mechanism and hydraulics must be worth a good couple of thousand quid? Retail new this would be in the high thousands. These parts are always in demand...

Surely the roof complete with bellows, mechanism and hydraulics must be worth a good couple of thousand quid? Retail new this would be in the high thousands. These parts are always in demand...
But would they be anygood without the steel frame that must be welded into the roof of the Van?

Only as a replacement for another California I suppose and the market for that must be fairly small?

But would they be anygood without the steel frame that must be welded into the roof of the Van?

Only as a replacement for another California I suppose and the market for that must be fairly small?
Can’t see it being feasible to try to fit to anything other than a Cali. Apart from the strengthening and fixings for the lifting arms there’s the front cap which would be needed to marry up to the lifting section.

Can’t see it being feasible to try to fit to anything other than a Cali. Apart from the strengthening and fixings for the lifting arms there’s the front cap which would be needed to marry up to the lifting section.
Agreed. Anyone converting tin-top to elevating would be more likely to fit a fibreglass roof to avoid any long term roof corrosion.

Damaged roofs are common on the California and replacements are a humongous price. The same as the hydraulic system.

Anyone else gone through the change…?

Back