Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have T6 values dropped ?

Kevthegas

Kevthegas

2018 204ps NOW SOLD
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I put my 2018 T6 Cali Ocean up for sale on the club site 2 weeks ago. ( Silver based in BN16)

Not a single enquiry about the van, had a nice discussion with a current owner looking to sell and a time waster trying to buy the accessories for peanuts !

I have sold 2 previous Californias on the club site and they have sold within 2/3 days.

Due diligence was carried out with the pricing on here for weeks before the advert went live and on autotrader, even by dropping the price and adding extras not even one enquiry.

If the Cali does not sell it is not a major issue as I will purchase the VW All in one plan again and keep on using it, but I did fancy a change.

So are values lower due to recent interest rises/ quicker delivery times for new vans/ or has the market post Brexit/ covid sorting its self out ???

Kev

It's the economy, stupid.... so goes the saying.
It was inevitable that the crazy prices in recent years would adjust now that we are all snapped back into reality, after a decade plus of QE madness.

Coming from the perspective of someone wanting to jump into the market and carefully watching prices for a while. The ones that are priced to the current market are selling in days. The ones that are too high arent moving. I've watched a few for several weeks thinking if it was 5k less I'd buy it.

It's a niche market with uncertain outside economic influences. Alot of perspective buyers will get removed from the market in the next 12 months due to various fixed price utilities ending. During the time of cheapest debt in all of history. Most people just took on more of it instead of paying it down. We are in for a wild few years.

Plus lots more choice, no need to drive 100s of miles!
As they say it’s swinging back to a buyers market.

Coming from the perspective of someone wanting to jump into the market and carefully watching prices for a while. The ones that are priced to the current market are selling in days. The ones that are too high arent moving. I've watched a few for several weeks thinking if it was 5k less I'd buy it.

It's a niche market with uncertain outside economic influences. Alot of perspective buyers will get removed from the market in the next 12 months due to various fixed price utilities ending. During the time of cheapest debt in all of history. Most people just took on more of it instead of paying it down. We are in for a wild few years.
Luckily I paid cash for the Cali so no need to sell, just fancy a change.
VW All in one Warranty/servicing/mot/breakdown cover ect will cost me £800 for 2 years so no issue to ride the change in values over the next few years. The drop in vehicle duty will drop soon so it is cheap to maintain.

If you’re not a forced seller, it’s not a problem, keep it. Those who are will be setting the price on the margin. 6.5% base rate forecast for the new year. Slow motion car crash for the highly leveraged.

If you’re not a forced seller, it’s not a problem, keep it. Those who are will be setting the price on the margin. 6.5% base rate forecast for the new year. Slow motion car crash for the highly leveraged.
Some are saying 7% if circumstances dictate going higher. Time will tell but its not going to be pretty.

Some are saying 7% if circumstances dictate going higher. Time will tell but it’s not going to be pretty.

Who’d have thought that, only 12 months ago. Sub 2% mortgages are going to 8%+ next year. I don’t think for one minute all those financed Cali’s have cash cover. They’ll be the first thing to go.

Who’d have thought that, only 12 months ago. Sub 2% mortgages are going to 8%+ next year. I don’t think for one minute all those financed Cali’s have cash cover. They’ll be the first thing to go.
Luckily my 2021 Ocean is financed with VW at 2.3%.
I wonder what rate you’d get today - a quick look suggests 8.9-19.9%

Luckily my 2021 Ocean is financed with VW at 2.3%.
I wonder what rate you’d get today - a quick look suggests 8.9-19.9%

Sure, you’re fixed at a low rate. For someone whose mortgage is doubling (or more), odds are they’d want that van payment to stop (by selling), however low the interest rate.

Sure, you’re fixed at a low rate. For someone whose mortgage is doubling (or more), odds are they’d want that van payment to stop (by selling), however low the interest rate.
If the van is your main transport rather than a holiday toy it doesn’t make sense to sell it if you have a low interest rate deal.
Any replacement vehicle will have a much higher interest rate, so you could end up paying more per month on a cheaper vehicle especially on a PCP

If the van is your main transport rather than a holiday toy it doesn’t make sense to sell it if you have a low interest rate deal.
Any replacement vehicle will have a much higher interest rate, so you could end up paying more per month on a cheaper vehicle especially on a PCP

It does if it means securing the house. Most would prioritise that over an expensive van and buy a cheap car instead.

There are so many variables to everyone's priorities and situations. However, it is pretty safe to assume there is likely to be more vans going up for sale and less people able to buy them in the short - medium term.

Not really. The aim is not deflation, it’s to reduce inflation to a much lower level of around 2%.
Technically yes. But the speed of the rate rises means the cost of borrowing has exploded within months and so has the benefit of putting the money you’d set aside for a Cali in to a high interest savings account instead. It follows that demand is going to fall, used supply will likely increase as people are squeezed by the rate increases and thus used Cali prices are going to fall in the short term, whether it’s a T6, T6.1 or any other variant.

HAVE T6 VALUES DROPPED ?​

Why are people so obsessed with their van's value? It's a modern motor vehicle and as such it will depreciate. Yes, values have held up well in recent times but it would be wrong to assume that they always will. Like anything else, it's merely a commodity that will always be subject to market forces. It would be unwise to look at it as an investment in the monetary sense. Instead, remember why you wanted it in the first place. As long as that reason was to explore and go camping then your van will never devalue. If you bought it purely to make money then that was extremely foolish.

As long as that reason was to explore and go camping then your van will never devalue. If you bought it purely to make money then that was extremely foolish.​

wise words. I totally switched off from following the market after securing a van. This weekend it was sitting pretty next to a couple on their T4, and all I could think of was how many more years of enjoyment I should be able to get out of my T6 if that T4 was anything to go by

Bit of a u-turn from me, when the facts change I change my mind and all that, but the answer seems to be no.D6081D8D-0C87-4F6E-BD7F-D90FD7568F80.png

I have to query their sources when I see 2 Vauxhall Mokka's listed in the top 10. I rented one a couple of months ago and it was a dog.
Source is CAP, the old “black book” The comparison is what the same vehicle, same mileage was selling for now and 6 months ago.

Source is CAP, the old “black book” The comparison is what the same vehicle, same mileage was selling for now and 6 months ago.
So 5 of those are convertibles + the cali , not really a surprise that they are selling for more in the middle of summer compared to winter.

Wait for their next article in 6 months time re the biggest price drops showing that the same 6 vehicles are selling for less in winter than summer.

Last edited:
Yep. Which is exactly the point of raising interest rates; to lower prices.
Its not actually to reduce prices. Its to reduce the spare cash we have to spend and reduce demand. The clowns in charge do this by making sure those on the breadline find it more expensive to service their debt.
The bit i hate is that when there was free money the government were desperate for people to spend it all....but now they turn the screw to save us all....

Back