Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlight indicator

JRD

JRD

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have the auto headlight function. When set to auto how can you tell if the headlights have come on when it get dull or in heavy rain?

I have the auto headlight function. When set to auto how can you tell if the headlights have come on when it get dull or in heavy rain?
Dashboard lights come on, only with Dipped Beam.

The light switch glows as well although you need to take your eyes off the road to take a look at it.

I have been very confused by light indicators:
Off
Parking lights
Daytime lights
Sidelights
Dipped beam
Full beam
Fog lights

Coming from a Peugeot, I'm used to dashboard indicators for all of these (except off). With my California all I have is an indicator for full beam and fog lights.

Other than looking at the switch position I have no way of telling if side lights are on or dipped beam. I had to consult the manual to confirm there is no sidelight or dipped beam indicator on the dashboard.

I still don't understand the difference between daytime lights and side lights.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I have been very confused by light indicators:
Off
Parking lights
Daytime lights
Sidelights
Dipped beam
Full beam
Fog lights

Coming from a Peugeot, I'm used to dashboard indicators for all of these (except off). With my California all I have is an indicator for full beam and fog lights.

Other than looking at the switch position I have no way of telling if side lights are on or dipped beam. I had to consult the manual to confirm there is no sidelight or dipped beam indicator on the dashboard.

I still don't understand the difference between daytime lights and side lights.

Daytime lights are only at the front. Side lights are front and back. I am guessing that daytime lights are more for pedestrians and as such only need fronts (white lights - danger coming towards them) as opposed to rear reds (not a danger - going away from them and therefore not required).

Took me a while to figure out that there’s no dash light. As others have said the switch illuminates. Odd because our Skoda has a “bulb” light on the dash that illuminates. No idea why vw didn’t use that simple idea.

I tend to look out the windscreen.:rolleyes:

And from doing that you can tell if you have daytime or side lights on?

I need to look at the light switch for that!

Yes I can. DRL 15w Dipped 55w on my Vehicle.

You use Dipped Beam in poor visibility, Rain/Fog/Snow/Sundown. With reasonable eyesight you should be able to tell the difference. If not why bother putting them On? If you can't tell the difference how are others going to notice the difference?

Maybe the T6 is different from the T5 with sidelights distinct from daytime lights and dipped headlights.

it also depends on the headlight set up on the van. On mine the LED DRLs act as the side lights when switched on, usually on others motors they dim but on mine they dont, same brightness. Unsure if this is the case for the incandescent bulbs, on transporters the DRL turns off and another bulb lights up, however on Mrs Mk6 Golf, the incandescent DRL bulb just dims and makes it look like it needs replacing. Seems like every vehicle in the VW range is totally different!!

T6 Ocean standard twin halogen has DRLs with only a 21watt bulb each side. These remain on with sidelights (parking lights only really) and go off when headlights are on.
Upgrading the DRL bubls to LED is a transformation that is fairly cheap.

No point in running with only side (parking) lights on as they are only 5watt. Does switch the rear on I know.

T6 Ocean standard twin halogen has DRLs with only a 21watt bulb each side. These remain on with sidelights (parking lights only really) and go off when headlights are on.
Upgrading the DRL bubls to LED is a transformation that is fairly cheap.

No point in running with only side (parking) lights on as they are only 5watt. Does switch the rear on I know.

Sorry - it was the distinct switching I was considering. I should have been clear.

I need to look at the switch to determine if daytime lights or side lights are on. I cannot tell from looking out of the window.

I have the LED headlight upgrade.

Sorry - it was the distinct switching I was considering. I should have been clear.

I need to look at the switch to determine if daytime lights or side lights are on. I cannot tell from looking out of the window.

DRL's come On with Ignition On or engine start, by regulation.
There is no switch to select them. Might be able to do something in coding of the electronics .

DRL's might stay on when Parking/Sidelights selected together with the rear Sidelights, or they might be dimmed or switched Off to be replaced by another, low wattage light source.

Point to remember, if you leave the Indicator switch in the L or R Turn position with Ignition Off, then the sidelights will be left On on the side selected, and I don't believe there is any audible warning, I think ( haven't used that function for a long time and can't remember ).

General comment rather than specific. Totally with you on how difficult it is to know if the auto position is selected.

VW seem to be amongst the few that have no dashboard indication when the lights are on.
Previous EOS had small red LED that came on in the rear view mirror mounting pod.

I have a 2016 T6 Cali Ocean with standard head lights, I want to upgrade the DRLs to a LED bulb, please can anyone advise what bulb is suitable and where from.. thanks Paul

I have a 2016 T6 Cali Ocean with standard head lights, I want to upgrade the DRLs to a LED bulb, please can anyone advise what bulb is suitable and where from.. thanks Paul
You need a T20W21 fitting bulb, the type that has only a glass case-no metal part as in old style bayonet fitting. Also must be Canbus compatable to be on the safe side. I'll try to identify the ones that I used and get back to you. About a year ago and LED design keeps advancing making it harder to be exact.

Not the same as mine but same description, be careful not to get the T20W21/5 type as they have the sidelight as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-T20-W...849542?hash=item4b1b8e2c86:g:988AAOSwMGVaU3xq

Out of interest, does anyone know whether the driving lights are sufficient in countries where it is a legal requirement to drive with dipped headlights during the day - e.g. Hungary?

Just been there. At the time I thought no problem i have lights on all the time but thinking about it later I wonder if I was legal.

Out of interest, does anyone know whether the driving lights are sufficient in countries where it is a legal requirement to drive with dipped headlights during the day - e.g. Hungary?

Just been there. At the time I thought no problem i have lights on all the time but thinking about it later I wonder if I was legal.
Yes. Also acceptable in Scandinavia.
Basically that is why DRL’s were introduced, ignition controlled and supposedly non-switchable.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Back