Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED headlight upgrades on T6 California - HazzyDayz

T64ME

T64ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I would welcome feedback from any members who have upgraded their headlight units to LEDs with HazzyDayz who seem to get positive reviews.

http://hazzydayz.com/genuine-t6-full-led-headlight-upgrade-supply--fit-7862-p.asp

I overlooked LEDs on original California order and whilst this would be a significant investment......it will improve night vision and therefore safety......and you only live once:)!

Many thanks in advance for feedback.

I had HazzyDayz retrofit LEDs (and self leveling) about 10 days ago. A big improvement! I didn't go for the headlight washers on the basis that it will require a very vigilant and arguably over-zealous MOT inspector for it to be a problem.

The install is very neat and to my (unprofessional) eyes indistinguishable from factory.

I had HazzyDayz retrofit LEDs (and self leveling) about 10 days ago. A big improvement! I didn't go for the headlight washers on the basis that it will require a very vigilant and arguably over-zealous MOT inspector for it to be a problem.

The install is very neat and to my (unprofessional) eyes indistinguishable from factory.

Many thanks for this very helpful and positive feedback re upgrade - really appreciated....... and will help me press the order button later:)

I was tempted until I saw the cost. That is some serious money, my first campervan cost less than that ;)

I will just continue to envy those with the nice LED lights. ;)

I was tempted until I saw the cost. That is some serious money, my first campervan cost less than that ;)

I will just continue to envy those with the nice LED lights. ;)
I'm with you Matt, that's a crazy amount of money.

I thought VW cost was too much to justify so this + £2700 plus extra for self levelling and washers/bumper is dead in the water for me.

Think my option of auxiliary light fitment is looking more attractive by the day.

These look good, I agree they are very costly, I had the Xenon lights in my 2016 Cali and they were amazing and cost £1,500 back then. My 2019 beach has some really rubbish lights that feel unsafe and just hard work. We need something better thought about LED bulbs in the existing lights those are costing about £50 each.

These look good, I agree they are very costly, I had the Xenon lights in my 2016 Cali and they were amazing and cost £1,500 back then. My 2019 beach has some really rubbish lights that feel unsafe and just hard work. We need something better thought about LED bulbs in the existing lights those are costing about £50 each.
Latest law states that it is illegal to fit LED bulbs in Headlights that are designed for Halogen bulbs.
You can do it but not legally. MOT failure.
There has been tightening up on LED use due to dazzling effect.

Last edited:
Not tried these but the +150% were an improvement on standard.
bit of sales licence as 100% is what you have therefore 200% is a 100% improvement in real terms.

Example source

Latest law states that it is illegal to fit LED bulbs in Headlights that are designed for Halogen bulbs.
You can do it but not legally. MOT failure.
There has been tightening up on LED use due to dazzling effect.
After years little clarity on LED replacements, you are right, found this on Pistonheads...

A change to MOT manual was published on 11-Jan-2021 that states:

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

This DOESN'T cover cars converted with LED headlights (i.e. a specific LED headlight bowl/lamp) JUST the conversion H1/H4 LED bulbs. It also DOESN'T cover other bulbs - LED side/brake/turn lights are still legal, it's just headlights that are outlawed.

After years little clarity on LED replacements, you are right, found this on Pistonheads...

A change to MOT manual was published on 11-Jan-2021 that states:

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

This DOESN'T cover cars converted with LED headlights (i.e. a specific LED headlight bowl/lamp) JUST the conversion H1/H4 LED bulbs. It also DOESN'T cover other bulbs - LED side/brake/turn lights are still legal, it's just headlights that are outlawed
There is a grey area on LED headlight Unit Conversion that says that either Auto Headlight Levelling or Auto Levelling Suspension must also be fitted.

Cali's with air suspension (with level control) could be converted with only a headlight replacement.

Note of caution on this as I've recently read of a driver being picked up by the Police who deemed the headlights with integral DLR/indicator lights not producing sufficient brightness in indicator mode.
Issued with defective light notice.

Cant comment on the lights and their worth but a big shout out for Hazzydayz - got them to fit reversing camera and full factory fit b&O sound system on my Audi S4, they did a superb job. Considering the amount of trim they had to remove and replace to do all of that and I am OCD about stuff, you wouldnt know anything had been done, they had superb attention to detail and were very helpful and professional too. Cost me alot but there you go.