Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlights staying on during daytime

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I know it’s winter but even on bright days I’ve noticed that our headlights are almost permanently on and the media screen is in dark mode. Presumably the lux sensor is infront of the rear view mirror and I’ve checked the windscreen is clear.

Has anyone encountered this? 2018 T6

Auto light function doesn't always operate to what the eye perceives as light and dark.
In dingy foggy days they don't usually switch on.
I stopped relying on the Auto Mode soon after getting mine.

Auto light function doesn't always operate to what the eye perceives as light and dark.
In dingy foggy days they don't usually switch on.
I stopped relying on the Auto Mode soon after getting mine.
I find mine exactly the opposite, in fact I was very surprised to find the lights come on on a bright but rather foggy day, not a winters day either.
It is noticeable that the auto lights respond to changes in light level despite the lower level being what the eye would probably consider more than adequate. It's not always noticeable that the lights are on without looking at the hazard warning switch and seeing that its illumination has brightened.

I only noticed because the satnav was always in dark mode and it stays like that even if you turn off auto lights. I appreciate you can set the display settings to day rather than auto but then you have to faff and turn it back on for night driving. We had it 3 years and I’ve never noticed it before.

I find mine exactly the opposite, in fact I was very surprised to find the lights come on on a bright but rather foggy day, not a winters day either.
It is noticeable that the auto lights respond to changes in light level despite the lower level being what the eye would probably consider more than adequate. It's not always noticeable that the lights are on without looking at the hazard warning switch and seeing that its illumination has brightened.
Seems that there is no consistent light level of operation between Cali's.
Our Citroen switches on/off pretty much as you'd expect and it has a dash indication when they are on.