Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated passenger seat doesn't work

I

Ian Robinson

Guest User
Hi all,

We bought our 2014 SE 140 van 4 months ago. Have had 3 weeks of holiday since we bought it, and enjoying the Cali life. However I am kicking myself that I didn't check that absolutely everything worked when we bought it.

Just started getting cold mornings this week. The door mirror heaters work, the parking heater works, the drivers heated seat works. But, the passenger heated seat does not work. Hopefully coolant heater will work, but don't think it has got cold enough yet down south for this to have kicked in.

Before I go back the dealer I bought it from and see if they will consider looking at repairing it for us, I thought I would check for any obvious easy fixes. [Whilst the seat heater has possibly never worked since we bought it, I am aware that 4 months is a long time and the dealer may be unwilling to look at it, but I will ask and hope for some goodwill if there is no easy fix to be found.]

The lights on the dash light up on setting 1,2 and 3 for both seats but only the drivers seat actually gets warm. Even after waiting 30 minutes of driving - no warmth at all in the passenger seat or the back of the seat.

I looked online and it seems that there is one 25A fuse for both seats. I have located this 25A fuse and it tests OK as expected (drivers seat heater works so should be OK if it is the correct shared fuse). Its fuse no. 25 in fuse holder C (the lower bank of fuses in the front middle below the dashboard). Online it says it is for 3 items: 1)Heater driver seat regulator. 2)Heater front passenger seat regulator. 3) Heater front seats control unit.

I looked under the passenger seat and cannot see any obvious damage to the wires - the sheathing on the wire bundle does not looked chaffed of damaged from seat turning. I looked with the seat both in the forward and back position and rotated to get as many different views of the wires and plugs as possible. There is a yellow and black plug which both seem to be connected OK (I assume the yellow one is the airbag and the black is the seat heater).

I will not be able to look in more detail until the weekend, but thought I would check here for any wise advice that may be offered my way please before I have another good look for the cause.

Are there relays for each heater seat, and where are these located if present please - maybe a relay has failed?

Are there any other fuses that I should check please?

Should I remove the passenger seat to have a better look at the plugs and wires - if so, is this easy to do, or does the seat airbag make this something only a dealer can do?

Has anyone had a similar problem, and can let me know what the problem was and how it was fixed please?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help :)

Ian

Hi all,

We bought our 2014 SE 140 van 4 months ago. Have had 3 weeks of holiday since we bought it, and enjoying the Cali life. However I am kicking myself that I didn't check that absolutely everything worked when we bought it.

Just started getting cold mornings this week. The door mirror heaters work, the parking heater works, the drivers heated seat works. But, the passenger heated seat does not work. Hopefully coolant heater will work, but don't think it has got cold enough yet down south for this to have kicked in.

Before I go back the dealer I bought it from and see if they will consider looking at repairing it for us, I thought I would check for any obvious easy fixes. [Whilst the seat heater has possibly never worked since we bought it, I am aware that 4 months is a long time and the dealer may be unwilling to look at it, but I will ask and hope for some goodwill if there is no easy fix to be found.]

The lights on the dash light up on setting 1,2 and 3 for both seats but only the drivers seat actually gets warm. Even after waiting 30 minutes of driving - no warmth at all in the passenger seat or the back of the seat.

I looked online and it seems that there is one 25A fuse for both seats. I have located this 25A fuse and it tests OK as expected (drivers seat heater works so should be OK if it is the correct shared fuse). Its fuse no. 25 in fuse holder C (the lower bank of fuses in the front middle below the dashboard). Online it says it is for 3 items: 1)Heater driver seat regulator. 2)Heater front passenger seat regulator. 3) Heater front seats control unit.

I looked under the passenger seat and cannot see any obvious damage to the wires - the sheathing on the wire bundle does not looked chaffed of damaged from seat turning. I looked with the seat both in the forward and back position and rotated to get as many different views of the wires and plugs as possible. There is a yellow and black plug which both seem to be connected OK (I assume the yellow one is the airbag and the black is the seat heater).

I will not be able to look in more detail until the weekend, but thought I would check here for any wise advice that may be offered my way please before I have another good look for the cause.

Are there relays for each heater seat, and where are these located if present please - maybe a relay has failed?

Are there any other fuses that I should check please?

Should I remove the passenger seat to have a better look at the plugs and wires - if so, is this easy to do, or does the seat airbag make this something only a dealer can do?

Has anyone had a similar problem, and can let me know what the problem was and how it was fixed please?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help :)

Ian
Just a thought. When you say No Heat after 30 minutes - was someone sat on the seat?

A had a vehicle where the seat heating and the seat belt alarm for that seat did not work unless there was someone sat on the seat.

Let the dealer fix it under used vehicle warranty.

Used vans you can trust. Guaranteed.

Das WeltAuto, our used commercial vehicle programme is designed to give you complete confidence and peace of mind. We understand that when you buy a van, you're investing in an important business asset. That's why we ensure every one of our used vans leaves us in perfect working condition. And you also have the confidence and peace of mind that it's backed up with comprehensive Volkswagen warranty and Roadside Assistance. Vehicles that are aged under 3 years old come with a minimum of 12 months Volkswagen warranty and Roadside Assistance, and 6 months for vehicles aged over 3 years.

I sometimes think about how we all stand on the seat to climb up in the top it not beeing all that that good for the heating mat inside the seat.
Sure in can take weight but all that weight in a footprint could end up damaging things inside the seatbase/heatingsystem.
We also always stand on the seat to get in the top but the thing is we never use the heated seats ....need to try them out:D

not allowed to stand on the seats at home so I bought a ladder but makes sence they could get damaged so ladies ;)no wearing hi heals in upstairs bed

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

WelshGas - initially it was my 7 year old in the passenger seat so you got me thinking? However, no, it still doesn't work with an adult sitting and seat belted into the seat :(

Hotel California - makes you think about standing on the seats - we mostly actually use the drivers seat to climb up, but obviously we don't know what the previous owner did.

Grandad John - good tip, I was thinking of removing the seat this weekend and doing some multi meter tests. But, larrylamb got me thinking, whilst we didn't buy from a VW dealer, we did get a 6 month RAC policy which also covers maintenance as well as breakdown - I've contacted the dealer to start the process of making a claim - so fingers crossed we can get it fixed through them.

I will let you know how I get on :)

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

WelshGas - initially it was my 7 year old in the passenger seat so you got me thinking? However, no, it still doesn't work with an adult sitting and seat belted into the seat :(

Hotel California - makes you think about standing on the seats - we mostly actually use the drivers seat to climb up, but obviously we don't know what the previous owner did.

Grandad John - good tip, I was thinking of removing the seat this weekend and doing some multi meter tests. But, larrylamb got me thinking, whilst we didn't buy from a VW dealer, we did get a 6 month RAC policy which also covers maintenance as well as breakdown - I've contacted the dealer to start the process of making a claim - so fingers crossed we can get it fixed through them.

I will let you know how I get on :)
If at anytime you take out the front seat DISCONNECT the engine battery first and DO NOT reconnect until the seat is back in place and all electrical connections replaced, otherwise you will get an Air Bag warning light that has to be reset via the VW Diagnostic computer.

But, larrylamb got me thinking, whilst we didn't buy from a VW dealer, we did get a 6 month RAC policy which also covers maintenance as well as breakdown - I've contacted the dealer to start the process of making a claim - so fingers crossed we can get it fixed through them.
Sorry, I was being presumptuous about it being a VW dealer. Hopefully your RAC policy will be of use.

Hope it gets sorted quickly.
My seats heat without anyone being seated in them.....

Our drivers one stopped working and it was damage to the loom under the seat. Likely caused by the seat swivelling.

Ian
No need to remove the seat , if its one lead and you say a yellow plug disconnect the lead , using the lead that goes to the seat check you have continuity when sitting on the seat try plugging in the seat belt in and out this will check both options you may have 4 wires 2 pairs , come to think of it its possible only a pressure pad for seat belt and one for the heat pad , if both ok then you are looking at the impute plug 12v when you switch on and off
But last posting may give you a clue damaged cable and blown fuse

Thanks to all who replied. I did all I could to diagnose without removing the seat but my fat hands prevented me being able to disconnect the black plug and do any circuit tests. My dealer kindly agreed that under the 6 month warrantee that I could take the van to a VW dealer for the problem to be diagnosed and fixed. It has been diagnosed as a faulty heat pad in the seat, but has not been fixed yet as the VW part is on back order - so fingers crossed it can be fixed soon.

Thanks to all who replied. I did all I could to diagnose without removing the seat but my fat hands prevented me being able to disconnect the black plug and do any circuit tests. My dealer kindly agreed that under the 6 month warrantee that I could take the van to a VW dealer for the problem to be diagnosed and fixed. It has been diagnosed as a faulty heat pad in the seat, but has not been fixed yet as the VW part is on back order - so fingers crossed it can be fixed soon.
Good result, glad it is being sorted. :thumb