Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated wing mirror not working?

AlisonF

AlisonF

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We had a heavy frost the other night. Used the remote for the heater to defrost the van. Lovely. When I got in and started the engine I turned the knob for the wing mirrors to the heating setting (2 o’clock). A short while later the nearside mirror was steaming, drivers side no change. I got out and felt them both, the nearside mirror was very warm to the touch, the drivers side not at all...
Is there a smart way to check if the heating element is working? I was thinking of spraying some water onto each and time how long it takes to evaporate... is there anything better?
It looks like another warranty issue when the van goes in for service / MOT end of the month.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
You’ll have to prise off the glass and put a meter on the terminals (assuming one hasn’t become disconnected.

a plastic spatular is good to evenly spread the load on the glass as you lever it off the ring clips.

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
You’ll have to prise off the glass and put a meter on the terminals (assuming one hasn’t become disconnected.

a plastic spatular is good to evenly spread the load on the glass as you lever it off the ring clips.
Loz, is there a pic available which shows the clips behind the glass and how they are held ? May need to do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
give me min I have a photo somewhere. This is the Touareg mirror but they use the same clips.
if its cold, use a hair drier or hot air gun to warm the plastic as they can break, but a replacement clip ring is fairly cheap,
51AC9869-96CF-4F0A-8DBB-646E48D54E94.jpegD65F3D86-9332-49FD-9DDC-205661D2ACA1.jpeg

Last edited:
P

PeteS

Vehicle
N/A
Hi
A simple way to check is to turn the heaters on and feel each mirror to see if they are heating up at the same rate. As you have a warranty I would not be checking anything more than that for fear of giving the warranty company a reason to reject any claim.

AlisonF

AlisonF

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi
A simple way to check is to turn the heaters on and feel each mirror to see if they are heating up at the same rate. As you have a warranty I would not be checking anything more than that for fear of giving the warranty company a reason to reject any claim.
That was my thinking too - testing it non-intrusively. Either by touch, or with a simple spray of water on each and see how they dry...